Fiat 500 twin air

Richesio

My girlfriend is looking to buy a Fiat 500 and I wondered if anyone had any experience with them?

Obviously I would like the Abarth version, but unless I buy it for her then that's not going to happen! She's looking at the 0.9 twin air and it test drove fantastically. Does any have any good/bad experience with the twin air or the normal 1.2 pop / lounge / S?

Isn't the 0.9 that got slated by everyone including Watchdog because it cant go up a hill etc???

I was in similar position as you not long ago when I wanted to buy my mrs a new car. Went and looked at loads of different cars including the 500 but ended up getting a KA titanium with every optional extra for 30 quid over 10k. Similar spec 500 would have been over 14k. I personally couldnt understand that when you think it's the same car lol!

Nick

• Like 1

Fuel economy is dire on the TwinAir, totally put us off buying one when we were looking a couple of years back.

Just don't buy new, the depreciation is horrendous on these things. And the purple isn't purple, it's pretty much black!

Girlfriend has got a 1.2 Pop, in 'new age cream' with white accents, I think it's a 'colour therapy', essentially base spec but with air con and a few styling bits. Hers is a '13 model.

Interior does feel cheap (things like the HVAC controls feel really 'loose') and the seats are really hard and make your bum ache after a long journey.

The steering is also freakishly light, with a button for parking to make it even lighter! Trouble is she finds the light steering makes it hard to drive on the motorway as the car seems to wonder as there's so little feedback. We try to avoid using it for long trips.

Had a few issues - Water leaked in through the aerial and ruined the reception, it went for a power steering recall but had problems soon after. Of course all were sorted by the dealer, although she was less than impressed with the service - But that's probably just isolated to this particular dealer.

But that said, she loves the thing. The above sounds really negative, but really it has been a great little car for her... Trouble is they are really common here now, so the novelty of it has worn off - Plus I think she paid £11k odd, which is essentially VW Polo money which seems mental - So I think when her lease is up that's what she'll go for.

EDIT: Also she got a greater contribution on her deposit from Fiat because her mum is a teacher / works for the council.. I doubt the scheme is still running but worth an ask.

Edited by RyanT

My missus has had the twin air sport for for nearly four years now and won't part with it. Ok it only does 40 odd to the gallon but that's because the glorious little twin engine with mahoosive turbo just makes you want to drive it like a sports car. The 1.2 version seemed flat compared to the 0.9 twin air

I was a little bit dubious about her having a fiat but it's never missed a beat and nothing's fell off and it has loads of character, I love driving it, we quite often go away at weekends and leave the Zed in the garage

My advice... Go for it you won't regret it.

fa6e6e8a8225f8c9a5c513b0fd26f35b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Isn't the 0.9 that got slated by everyone including Watchdog because it cant go up a hill etc???

I remember watching that episode so I researched it and it turns out it's the 1.2 version (post April 2014). There's this article confirming it and a few comments from people on that article are saying get the twin air as it flies up hills. So that's good news.

You would think the 0.9 would struggle compared to the 1.2, but the stand 1.2 is 69bhp and the 0.9 is 105bhp. The ironic thing is the twin air is road tax exempt as it's meant to be more efficient, whereas it's not.

Ps: Good to see another Ipswich fan on here :)

My missus has had the twin air sport for for nearly four years now and won't part with it. Ok it only does 40 odd to the gallon but that's because the glorious little twin engine with mahoosive turbo just makes you want to drive it like a sports car. The 1.2 version seemed flat compared to the 0.9 twin air

I was a little bit dubious about her having a fiat but it's never missed a beat and nothing's fell off and it has loads of character, I love driving it, we quite often go away at weekends and leave the Zed in the garage

My advice... Go for it you won't regret it.

Thanks, that's great advice.

She test drove one yesterday and even being in the passenger seat I could tell how fun it was to drive. It sounded like a v8 engine with a real grunt (I realise that sounds ridiculous as it's only a 2 cylinder) and the turbo made it very nippy.

We also test drove a 1.2 and it seemed to have nothing. Over taking another car at 60mph seems to be 'a long drawn out affair' (<-- Alan Partridge reference).

if she gets a 500 it'll definitely be a twin air. I hope she does, I want to drive it!

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

I remember watching that episode so I researched it and it turns out it's the 1.2 version (post April 2014). There's this article confirming it and a few comments from people on that article are saying get the twin air as it flies up hills. So that's good news.

You would think the 0.9 would struggle compared to the 1.2, but the stand 1.2 is 69bhp and the 0.9 is 105bhp. The ironic thing is the twin air is road tax exempt as it's meant to be more efficient, whereas it's not.

Come on boro!!!

That is very odd as my KA shares the same 1.2 from the 500 and goes up hills fine lol. Also my KA is tax exempt too and yet you say the fiat isn't?

Come on boro!!!

That is very odd as my KA shares the same 1.2 from the 500 and goes up hills fine lol. Also my KA is tax exempt too and yet you say the fiat isn't?

I supported Boro today and look what happens. Typical.

Yes, the 1.2 is £30 road tax a year. I'm sure it has the same engine as the KA, in fact, aren't they built in the same factory, so that's odd that's one vat exempt and one isn't? Maybe Ford has tinkered with it and improved it? Or could be the year, we're looking at 2011 to 2013-ish.

Yeah they are made in the same factory to my knowledge. I know they are the same car underneath 100%. Does the Fiat have stop start? I can only think that is the difference as my KA does have it :)