Best gear for dyno

mrkieran23

Hey guys, I'm on my mobile so sorry if it's the wrong place for the question.

I have seen a few conversation about gears for power runs on a dyno and I'm curious what do you guys think the best gear is.

In my experience I have only seen my cars run with 3rd gear but I have seen that some people say the 350 gets a lower power figure when being done in 3rd and 4th is supposedly better

What say you guys?

I plan in putting my zed on the dyno at modified nationals and I'm curious.

Thanks guys.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't do a Dyno at a car show :( I cringe every time I see these.

I hate going on a Dyno at the best of times, but so many scary horror story's I've seen with people going on Dyno's at Car shows.

:lol: really? lol how come? i'm curious

Just over the years from watching at shows and a fair few videos on youtube (i'll have a search later)

Main reason is a lot of the time they're doing it to show off to the crowed - I.e. keeping it running longer than needed.

But from video's I've watched so many times have they not been strapped down correctly etc and come off the rails :surrender:

:lol: really? lol how come? i'm curious

Just over the years from watching at shows and a fair few videos on youtube (i'll have a search later)

Main reason is a lot of the time they're doing it to show off to the crowed - I.e. keeping it running longer than needed.

But from video's I've watched so many times have they not been strapped down correctly etc and come off the rails :surrender:

You mean things like this

2005 350z gear ratios here:

Thank you :)

• Like 1

2005 350z gear ratios here:

2015-05-18_16-42-16.jpeg

2015-05-18_16-45-06.jpeg

5th gear it is then for most acurate numbers!

You definitely would only want to do that on a decent dyno and strapped down properly. 140+ mph on a temporary dyno probably not a good idea.

We run in 4th gear on our Hub dyno.

Mark,is that for safety reasons or because it's best? I was under the impression that 1:1 ie 5th would be most accurate.

Have you ever done back to back runs in 4th then 5th and if so was there much difference? Just interested.

I seem to remember it was due to running stock JDM cars on the dyno before they had the speed restrictor removed, you can get to 6500 rpm in 4th with the restrictor still on JDM spec.

I just carried on running all the cars in the same gear so we can load other cars data over the top and compare.