Help, my Zed tried to kill me this weekend!

DP7657

I experienced similar problems with my Zed just after I bought it.

It had the original Bridgestone tyres on the front and newish Avons on the rears. Once or twice the ESP came in on bends if I was, "making progress."

When the EPS interceded, it wasn't violent, but it can be initially unnerving when it occurs!

Reading the great posts on this forum it appeared to be down to mixing tyres!

I just took things more easily until the original fronts needed changing and put Avons on, with no further problems with EPS.

Probably best if you get your new tyres fitted and hopefully your EPS problems will disappear.

Hope this helps.

I had this on my old Ducati motorbike but the rear wheel totally locked up. The rear brake master cylinder had sprung a leak and the pads were just making contact with the disc ( not enough to see ) and after a few miles the disc would get hot and expand to the point of jamming onto the pads then lock the back wheel up.Hope this helps.

Just for your information, turning off the esp using the button on the dash doesn't actually turn off the esp... Lol

Infact it only turns off the traction control.

So it will allow your rear wheels to spin without cutting power. However the esp will still apply brakes to individual wheels if it deems it necessary. There is no driver option to turn the esp off.

It can be done by pulling fuses, or disconnecting the yaw sensor. It has been discussed a few times so have a search if you want anymore info.

Just caught up with this. I think your problem central with the ESP/ABS system as opposed to a peripheral issue with tyres or alignment.

I'd do a full inspection of the abs sensors, and the general brake system and get the a system check for codes. I would be surprised your ABS module is fooked.

I'll not drive the car any further untiess gingerly to get it tested. I would go to Nissan but any of the usual tuner garages here.

• 5 weeks later...

Right little update so I had my new tyres fitted a few weeks now there definitely bedded in and I am still having this issue. Any one have any more ideas I'm going to try and reset the ect today to see if that clears it but then after that I'm stumped.

Spoke to Grundy yesterday and he also is having the same issue, we both seem to get it worse on bumpy ground so I believe it is to do with the stability control. I don't know weather the car has always had this problem but I haven't been driving it hard enough or weather I am now just driving the car on the edge of its limits and the system keeps kicking in.

+1 same issue with DPZ.

Went to the ring last week. And it occurred on roads/corners which had elevations and inclines.

If anything the issue forces you to understeers as you can't keep the power down to swing the rear round. And as DPZ says, it's not about going round a corner too fast, it's happens at all sorts of speed, happened when doing 30mph round a corner. So neither under or oversteer would of occurred.

However the car was perfectly fine round the GP circuit. Was taking corners at 60/80/100 mph no issue.

I have hankooks all round, correct tyre sizes too.

The reason DPZ wants to turn the TC off is because it's kicking in when it shouldn't making it more dangerous to drive with it on.

For me on my 1500 mile journey it only happened on the ring and a few mountain roads. Anywhere with an incline.

#teamtarmac

I have changed the steering wheel a year ago but only recently the issue started.

I'm now running 265/35/19 rears with Fallen FK453's

and fronts are 235/35/19 Fallen FK452's

I think it's going to be a group effort of trying things and see what works really. Matt I think yours could be down to your bald front tyres and I'm starting to think that also could be my issue I have loads of tread left on the fronts but I have found the Fallen grip level drops quite abit once semi warn.

Can you borrow a set of standard (OEM) 350 rims/tyres that cause no issues on another owners car to see if that makes any difference? At least it will rule out what is usually the most common issue.

BTW, I do hope you mean Falken tyres as those you have noted are not what you want on a car that is trying to fall off the road :lol:

• Like 1

Update from my experiences (garage double checked all work and confirmed no error codes and nothing wrong with the brake system).

Now had the front tyres replaced too so I'm running a brand new all round forum recommended set-up of:

Front and Rear DBA T2 disks and Ferodo DS2500 pads

Front: 225 45 R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric

Rear: 245 45 R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric

150 miles down with no random ESP braking! Hopefully this has sorted it! I will update again if not.

Thanks all for your help and I hope the rest of you get to the bottom of your issues too! Just to add to what Pete87 / Grundy / Floydbax have said, it does seem to have kicked in more often on corners / inclines than anywhere else. I think it only ever happened once in a straight line.

Sam McGoo - Thanks, I didn't realise that, got to love that the ESP button does not actually turn the ESP on or off. Every day is a school day!