Vermillion cinnabar

Chao baby (Trafford centre)

Bumbas grill (rossendale)

Star of India (rossendale)

Pavilion (rochdale)

Those are off the top of my head.

Wow

Where to start -

Rigolettos - Just outside Bicester (Italian)

Yak-y-Da - Nepalese - near Hay-on Wye (run by a few ex Military Gurkhas) Awesome

French's - Fish and Chip Bar - Wells next the Sea Trad scoff

If you like good steak the I'd recommend Goodmans in London, their fillet steak with fois gras is to die for and their Truffle Chips are the best chips I've ever had! The sommelier's are good as well and will recommend a great wine which doesn't break the bank (although stupidly priced wines are available if you're a snob).

The Phoenix pub in Hartley Whitney does great food as well, I haven't been there in a while mind. The food probably isn't so good that I'd usually recommend it in a thread like this but it's also a car place hosting classic cars days every boxing day (or is it new years day?) which may appeal to you lot.

This is a great thread, nice for folks to have a few options to check out when they travel.

Bath:

Menu Gordon Jones - exceptional, no menu, it's all seasonal. Booking runs months in advance, this guy should have a Michelin star. Great for a special occasion, can be as expensive or as reasonable as you make it. Quality, quality food, service is excellent.

Yum Yum Thai - Great little Thai restaurant, been there for ages. Great value dishes, relaxed atmosphere, nice beer. Best green curry I've had in many years, good value for money. Friendly service from the girls in the restaurant, no pressures, no hassles

The Circus Restaurant - Classic European fair, lovely dishes, great quality and a terrific wine selection. Not very big so nice atmosphere again. Does get booked up so you have to plan a bit. Middle of the road to expensive prices, but you could make it very expensive if you choose! Very professional and polite (but relaxed service)

Martini's Italian Rsstaurant - Always busy, always buzzing, great place. Great classic pasta and pizza dishes, great wines. Really pleasant place to have a meal. Prices are middle of the road and service is really good and friendly.

Lots more besides - Marlborough Tavern (great gastro pub), Yak Yeti Yak (Quirky Nepalese restaurant), The Raven (Qualify pub, own beer, great pies!), Hudson Bar and Grill ( Terrific steak, great wine)

• Like 1

Berties restaurant in Ruthin castle hotel, North Wales Absolutely fantastic food (and a great hotel/spa resort)

Weatherspoons in Ruthin (I know. But it's quiet. Staff are nice. Food comes hot. Roaring fire)

Tweedies in Grasmere (the lakes)

Live music. World ales. Awesome fine food.

This has been done before.

For me any London Goucho's with the Smithfield one being my fave. That said I've heard Goodmans Haydn mentioned is another level.

Biltmore bar and grill in York was good.

Wildfire bistro in Edinburgh was really good.

Can you see a theme forming...

Country pubs I really like the brunning and price chain which do guest ales etc.. Harkers in Chester, corn mill in Llangollen are two I'd recommend. Also the pheasant in burwardsley Cheshire, stunning views and good food.

Fischers at Baslow near Bakewell in Derbyshire, excellent food but pricey, going again soon cos I want their five course tasting menu with wine pairing.

The winery in Burton on Trent excellent food and remarkably reasonable prices

booked to go to Tom Kerridge's place, the hand and flowers, in three weeks time will let you know what I think of that - better be good the wait to get a table is ridiculous and we could feed our family for a month for what he charges !

• Like 1

Btw I like quality food but I don't do pretentious so I'll always recommend more down to earth places. I'd love to try some of the Michelin starred places but id feel intimidated.

I know that's silly but being relaxed is a big part of enjoying a meal for me.

• Like 1

If you want a challenge go to the flaming grill chain and do their 1kg burger challenge. I managed to sink it. Got certificate :) the burgers there are really nice. I wouldn't recommend anything else off the menu though.

Also I can thoroughly recommend Krispy Kreme outlets. Very tried and tested!!!

For me any London Goucho's with the Smithfield one being my fave. That said I've heard Goodmans Haydn mentioned is another level.

A completely other level and about the same price. I started seeing a girl recently and we've got a bit of a steak competition going on. Round one was London restauraunts, see took me to Gaucho who over cooked her steak!! (At that price? Jesus!!) I took her too Goodmans, current score is 1-0 to me... round 2 is steaks abroad starting with her home town of Paris at the end of June.

Best steak I ever had (that I didn't cook) was at Aussie Outback Steakhouse.

They used to have outlets in the UK but not any more.

I pan fry my steaks (ribeye) in salted butter. Medium rare. Then let rest for 5 mins on the plate.

Home made chips. Maris piper potatoes par boiled.

My peppercorn sauce recipe:

2 shallots minced and fried off in 50g butter.

Add 100ml brandy and boil off the alcohol.

Add 300ml beef stock.

100ml double cream.

Crushed peppercorns to taste.

Salt to taste.

Add a bit of cornflour to thicken.

Fischers at Baslow near Bakewell in Derbyshire, excellent food but pricey, going again soon cos I want their five course tasting menu with wine pairing.

The winery in Burton on Trent excellent food and remarkably reasonable prices

booked to go to Tom Kerridge's place, the hand and flowers, in three weeks time will let you know what I think of that - better be good the wait to get a table is ridiculous and we could feed our family for a month for what he charges !

Dave have you tried the Bulls Head in Repton !! Yummy. Pizza is amazing too. Just a little village pub but people come from all round. Worth a try if you haven't already.

Sarah,

totally agree, the only problem is the time restriction on busy nights, also worth a try is the Blenheim House in Etwall.

want to try Pascal in Branston as I have heard that's good too.

I'm going the the Vicarage in Branston next week. Really nice food. Whenever I go to the Bulls head I always book in the Garden room. I just book online now.

• Like 1