I love my new diff

wmr1980

There's not much point to this thread really.

My Kaaz 1.5way has now nicely bedded in. Added to that my new SMF fly and uprated clutch and I've just re-fallen in love with my Zed again. Roundabouts are much more fun ;) , and energetic launches are much more urgent.

Being able to control the rear more easily around corners is addictive and fun and I had forgotten how much I had missed having a proper mechanical diff! :drive1

If you're into fast road driving or track days and you need to sort you VSLD out at any point I heartily recommend upgrading your diff. It is something I've done on all my RWD cars and something I will continue to do.

It feels very much more like a muscle car now in the way it behaves on power. Love it love it love it! :D

Big thanks to Sly for helping to sorting it and Ewen for supplying at such a great price - what a great place this is for getting your petrolhead wares! :teeth:

• Like 4

Quick (noob) question - are these compatible with an HR? I don't know if there's any difference, but the listings I've seen seem to specify the DE model. Thanks :)

Yes they will fit all models

Thanks mate

They do lend themselves better for drifting, but even for just fast road use you can get on the power a lot earlier and it locks well, unlike the VLSD whose locking capability isn't brilliant. I've got a track day booked in Sept so looking forward to seeing how it performs there too. I've had Kaaz before on my RWD cars and find them so predictable and progressive. The TC gets more upset with it, but I generally drive without it on anyway. I have a 1.5way which is less aggressive than a 2-way which locks up on braking (great for starting a drift) - you can also modify the amount of lock you want too.

Quaife is "safer" (it's only a 1-way no?) and it interferes less with the TC system, but it's less aggressive and probably more fun for street use as it allows some slip under power whereas the Kaaz locks under power, Quaife will effectively be an open diff if one wheel leaves the ground. For long cross country drives and track days I'd choose the Kaaz personally as it is IMO more responsive and predictable. Kaaz requires more maintenance though (oil changes, and potentially clutch packs in the future) - but as I said is more consistent/predictable.

Kaaz is usually cheaper too if that helps make a decision.

Edited by wmr1980
  • Like 1

Well I'm swaying more towards a diff and ARBs if / when I get my arse in gear and start with some upgrades, from originally thinking about springs and spacers. Decided I like how the z looks as standard :D

One thing which puts me off a bit is I think they need quite regular maintenance... anyone able to confirm, and does anyone have experience of the alternatives? The cusco for example, which is more expensive, but for lower maintenace I'd certainly consider it.