Mortgage Experts

sipar69

Do we have any mortgage experts on here for a bit of advice?

Been talking to my better half about buying a place in the country in the next couple of years. We've both got good incomes and she has nearly paid off a flat that would probably sell for about £350k, so we'd have a hefty deposit from the sale. Her flat is currently rented out. We rent and I've never had a mortgage.

What concerns me is our ages - I will be 48 and she will be 52 in two years - I've been reading scare stories about lenders not lending to people over 40.

(Perhaps be looking to jointly borrow in the region of £300k and looking at 15-20 years mortgage term).

Any thoughts on likely lender attitudes to this scenario / suggestions for who to PM for some expert advice would be appreciated. :)

Edited by sipar69

There are definitely lenders available for you - Sarnie sorted me - if you want his business email address just drop me a PM.

Good luck with it all - I'd love to move back out into the country but it's not good for work at the mo :(

• Like 1

I'm 43 and struggled with HSBC to get a mortgage of 1.2x income despite a 60% deposit.

Self employed status maybe complicated things but been with HSBC 25 Yrs.

Used a broker LONDON AND COUNTRY in the end and got 2.3x income.

Very fast service.

Daily updates.

Their fees paid for by lenders not by purchasers.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice folks. Good to know that being 40+ doesn't totally rule us out then.

There are definitely lenders available for you - Sarnie sorted me - if you want his business email address just drop me a PM.

Good luck with it all - I'd love to move back out into the country but it's not good for work at the mo :(

To be honest, work is an issue for us to - both work in London, which cuts down the choices and bumps up the prices of suitable places. We've been looking at villages in Sussex and Hampshire - some nice places there. Hope to make the move in a couple of years. :)

Thanks for all the advice folks. Good to know that being 40+ doesn't totally rule us out then.

To be honest, work is an issue for us to - both work in London, which cuts down the choices and bumps up the prices of suitable places. We've been looking at villages in Sussex and Hampshire - some nice places there. Hope to make the move in a couple of years. :)

What about somewhere around the Thame area? There's a station (Haddenham and Thame) which goes straight in to Marylebone station (about 50 mins direct, think Paddington is just over an hour).

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1