cheap brake pad upgrade?

Miller350z

ive just bought myself a 350z, although its in pretty good condition it could do with some new pads. money is very tight as i just spent all my pennies buying it.

The front discs are not in bad condition but i don't know which way to go. id like to change the discs, pads and get some stainless break lines however it'll take some time to save up for that so think it'll just be pads.

im used to driving a ford focus so anything is going to be better but which is the best pad for me?? i will be doing normal town driving a lot of the time and fast b road driving, i can't see me doing a track day any time soon so want some pads that will

* stop better then standard.

* won't cost a fortune.

* won't cover my wheels in break dust.

* work well hot and cold.

my brother is into his cars and is recommending 'project mu' id mever heard of them and not seen them mentioned on previous thread

I use Pagid parts on the 350 and our XKR, OEM spec and not too expensive.

Stainless brake lines on a car imho are a waste of money for road use.

ProjectMu stuff is Jap aftermarket, not sure if there are any UK distributors?

To be honest, if cash is tight, don't waste cash trying to upgrade, just keep the brakes it in good order and it will be far superior to a Focus!

Edited by srad34
  • Like 1

I haven't used either of these but you're probably going to be looking at some brake pads from "EBC" then I'd guess or "Black Diamond" if you want a slight upgrade over OEM on a budget.

Still it's hard for me to recommend them as I haven't tried them but still just showing you some options available. ;)

Link for Black Diamond from the Cougar Store: http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7_6&products_id=101&zenid=bcaa60565806895c2c0f2d2ff1b32aee

Link for EBC red stuff from Horsham Developments: http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=78_169_293_463_465_1414&products_id=6612

I have used EBC green stuff pads on a car over a decade ago and they where ok compared to OEM but tbh they're not the best. On my 350 I use Ferodo DS2500 brake pads which are excellent but then they're around £100 odd a set so might be a little over your budget right now. :shrug:

• Like 1

I use Pagid parts on the 350 and our XKR, OEM spec and not too expensive.

Stainless brake lines on a car imho are a waste of money for road use.

ProjectMu stuff is Jap aftermarket, not sure if there are any UK distributors?

To be honest, if cash is tight, don't waste cash trying to upgrade, just keep the brakes it in good order and it will be far superior to a Focus!

Pagid pads and discs I have on my Zed as well. Like you, don't do any track days, everyday use & general B road driving. Changed them over a year ago and no issues.

sounds like some fairly sound advice thanks. ive never heard of black diamond but they look okay. if my budget can stretch to the ds2500 i might try those. good point about the braided hoses, ive always been into bikes and always put them on. this is my first sports car and its good to know if a mod would be beneficial or not

i was hoping to get the pads changed for less then £100, but id change them myself anyway. was thinking of wire brushing and painting black the bit the wheel fits onto, as my wheels are anthracite, changing the pads and cleaning up the calipers. there's virtually no lip on the disc

My opinions with 350z

• Pagid: very good on the road and initial bite is good from start but didnt last a whole track day
  • EBC yellow stuff: Required more brake peddle pressure than Pagid when cold but when warm was fine lasted 3 track days and some road driving .
  • Black diamond: My favourite good value for money initial bite is good for the road when cold and work well on the track (think these are only available for brembos)

• Like 1