new buyer, seen one nissan fairlady with no service book should o buy?

tiffanylee

I'd say the manual would be better to most for a more involving driving experience, but your money so try to compare a few different zeds rather than going for the first one you like. How did you find it on test drive? If you don't like gear changing in traffic maybe the auto is ok. I considered an auto but ended up with the manual.

I've had my 2003 JDM for 6 years and no issues at all after 128,000 miles. Non Brembro to begin with but got the brakes upgraded and painted thanks to ZMANALEX along with some minor tweaks (exhaust, grounding kit, Uprev etc).

I agree with Exotic, it's worth trying a few. Remember, you don't have to buy the first one you see. The Semi auto is pretty good from what I've heard. However I had to buy the manual transmission, as I really wanted to get the maximum involvement out of driving the car

From what you've described IT sounds like a decent car. However there is no harm in casting your net out a couple of times more just to see what else is out there.

Good luck with finding the one you're after. Whatever 350Z you end up getting, manual / semi auto, UK or JDM. The vast majority of people really enjoy the driving experience as well as this great community.

It's a fun car to own and run (in my experience) and provides great value for money thrills. If you can find a red 350Z. It's a well established fact that they are faster and cooler than the other colours :D

Edited by Bockaaarck

I would never consider a semi auto in a car like the Z. But depends on what you want really, go drive both and see which you prefer.

I would strongly recommend not buying the first Z you see/drive. Compare and drive them to make sure you get the feel for a good car. I looked at about 5 Zeds before I settled on the one I wanted.

I would never consider a semi auto in a car like the Z. But depends on what you want really, go drive both and see which you prefer.

I would strongly recommend not buying the first Z you see/drive. Compare and drive them to make sure you get the feel for a good car. I looked at about 5 Zeds before I settled on the one I wanted.

I strongly considered a semi auto, i hear they are very good, although i never drove one as settled on a manual.

If its a good car, price is right, drives well etc etc why would you not buy it?

If the first one you looked at ticked all the boxes would you have continued to look?

Edited by Jetpilot

Agreed, but i think the risk is that new buyers love the sound and performance and let that drive their decision (as they just want a Z so badly). Sometimes hard to keep a sensible perspective on a car so feel that a comparison is always good option.

Up to your buying behavior but I would always look to compare as there are so many Zeds about you can be picky.

My Zed was the first one i looked at, everything checked out, the price was right so didnt feel the need to continue the search. You do hear countless stories of people looking at dogs, so if you find one that fits the bill, buy it :)

On the other hand, i just changed my daily, i looked at three, the fourth was right so bought it :)

• Like 1

The semi-auto is a good box that really suits the characteristics of the early engine.

Yes if you want to track then get the manual, but for normal road use the auto is great and can be used like a sequential box albeit a little slow.

Manual box and clutch was too heavy for the wife, so this was also a bonus.

It's doesn't come with alarm and immbolister.

That's a surprise, I though they all had to have one fitted to comply with UK regs, mine has a Cobra immobiliser.

Churchill did not charge me a cent more for it being an import.

It's doesn't come with alarm and immbolister.

That's a surprise, I though they all had to have one fitted to comply with UK regs, mine has a Cobra immobiliser.

Churchill did not charge me a cent more for it being an import.

There were never any regs for sva that required alarms etc, most insurance companies would like to see one fitted.

Imports often wont cost anymore to insure as you say, its a popular internet scare mongering from people that read it somewhere and continue to perpetuate the myth. There are just fewer insurance companies that are happy with underwriting imports, so sometimes you have to hunt around to price match.

My Zed was the first one i looked at, everything checked out, the price was right so didnt feel the need to continue the search. You do hear countless stories of people looking at dogs, so if you find one that fits the bill, buy it :)

On the other hand, i just changed my daily, i looked at three, the fourth was right so bought it :)

Just like me funnily enough, it was the first Zed I really look at (underneath, engine bay, etc) and bought it.. Thankfully not a lemon!

On the Semi Auto front, if I stayed in London any longer than I was, I really would have traded in my Zed for an Auto.. stop start traffic on non-flat roads were tiring to say the least..

I have 3 car previously, all them was my first visit, all them drive really well, no problem at all. I seen two zed but I still like the first one. Cos is non mod, and I can add stuff myself. I have quote for alarm cat 1 they cost about £450. Is it worth to fit in? I would really like at least keyless entry. Lol.. Thanks all, you guys help me a lot and I really like this forum! Friendly not a word. Hehe..

Is the one you like from a dealer? It might help to get some warranty thrown in to just make sure nothing is about to go pop and ends up being expensive, These cars have bullet proof reliability (had mine 5 years next month and it's never failed me) but some will be thrashed to hell and others would have been looked after religiously! You'll deffo what a decent alarm if there isn't one so I think it's money well spent.

Just make sure the price reflects this and get it checked over by the AA or someone jacked up... I don't understand how the book can go missing though, did seller give you an idea?

My car doesn't seem too lucky with it's service history. When I bought it it should have had two services, there was only 1 stamp in the book but did have the invoice for the other and I phoned the dealer to confirm they'd performed the service. Then at my last service but one service, the Nissan dealer some how lost my service book! It was on the passenger seat in the wallet with the owners manual etc when I put it in, checked for the stamp as soon as I left and the book wasn't there, asked them about it and they said it was missing. Having phoned the dealer who did the first two services apparently they don't keep their records going back that long so I can't replace the book and effectively missing proof of the first or second service. I'd probably be more annoyed if I didn't plan on turning the Z in to a track toy when it's finally worth next to nothing... really should get around to replacing the book though.

Hi guys, I got the car MOT reference, this car fail MOT for few time because of fog light problems, I meant to buy this zed today but I put it on halt and I would like your advise.

Here's the problem

Go to main content

Resize text:Resize text to standard AResize text to larger AResize text to largest A

MOT history request

ResultStep 2 of 2

Your MOT history

You asked for test history information for vehicle registration P4FYK. You provided test number 82676004 to confirm that you had a legitimate interest in the vehicle. If you do not have a legitimate interest in the vehicle you must destroy the document. This information is correct at 24/04/2015.

There are no later tests for this Vehicle.

Most Recent Vehicle Details and Test Summary applicable to this test number.

Registration mark:

PA04FYK

Make/Model:

NISSAN / 350 Z

Colour:

SILVER

VIN/Chassis No:

Z33-202449

Approximate date of first use:

31/12/2004

Type of fuel:

Petrol

Date of test:

24/01/2015

Certificate issued (Pass)

Odometer reading:

49,963 Miles

Test number:

Test expiry date:

26/01/2016

Full Test History, starting with first recorded vehicle and test results

Registration mark:

PA04FYK

Make/Model:

NISSAN / 350 Z

Colour:

SILVER

VIN/Chassis No:

Z33-202449

Approximate date of first use:

31/12/2004

Type of fuel:

Petrol

Date of test:

06/10/2008

Odometer reading:

21,656 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

K I D COMMERCIALS

Test station number:

Test station telephone number:

Test class:

IV

Test expiry date:

05/10/2009

No Advisory Notice issued

Date of test:

19/04/2010

Odometer reading:

28,939 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

CHESHIRE B M

Test station number:

V102547

0161 339 5444

Test class:

IV

Test expiry date:

18/04/2011

Date of test:

23/03/2011

Certificate issue refused (Fail)

Odometer reading:

31,733 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

T2 GARAGE SERVICES

Test station number:

V101391

01476 591855

Test class:

IV

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Nearside rear brake binding (3.7.B.1)

Offside Rear Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)

Date of test:

23/03/2011

Odometer reading:

31,733 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

T2 GARAGE SERVICES

Test station number:

V101391

01476 591855

Test class:

IV

Test expiry date:

18/04/2012

Date of test:

16/04/2012

Odometer reading:

36,567 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

T2 GARAGE SERVICES

Test station number:

V101391

01476 591855

Test class:

IV

Offside Rear Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)

Advisory Notice issued

Parking brake lever has little reserve travel (3.1.6b)

Date of test:

16/04/2012

Odometer reading:

36,567 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

T2 GARAGE SERVICES

Test station number:

V101391

01476 591855

Test class:

IV

Test expiry date:

18/04/2013

Date of test:

01/05/2013

Odometer reading:

41,617 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

T2 GARAGE SERVICES

Test station number:

V101391

01476 591855

Test class:

IV

Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)

Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Rear tailpipe joint Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)

Offside Rear at legal limit Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Front tyres at 3mm and minor damage to n/s/f sidewall

Date of test:

02/05/2013

Odometer reading:

41,617 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

T2 GARAGE SERVICES

Test station number:

V101391

01476 591855

Test class:

IV

Test expiry date:

01/05/2014

Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Rear tailpipe joint Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)

Offside Rear at legal limit Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Front tyres at 3mm and minor damage to n/s/f sidewall

Date of test:

27/01/2014

Odometer reading:

45,038 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

MARSHALL OF GRANTHAM

Test station number:

9980A3

01476 564114

Test class:

IV

Test expiry date:

26/01/2015

Advisory Notice issued

Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Date of test:

24/01/2015

Odometer reading:

49,963 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

GAINSBOROUGH CORNER GARAGE LTD

Test station number:

8394AL

01476 575577

Test class:

IV

Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)

Advisory Notice issued

Both front metal Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Both rear metal Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Both front tyres wearing edges

Date of test:

24/01/2015

Odometer reading:

49,963 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

GAINSBOROUGH CORNER GARAGE LTD

Test station number:

8394AL

01476 575577

Test class:

IV

Test expiry date:

26/01/2016

Advisory Notice issued

Both front metal Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Both rear metal Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Both front tyres wearing edges

This completes the test history for the above vehicle as recorded on VOSA's MOT Computerisation Database

X Close

Search again

Service provided by

Terms and Conditions webmaster@vosa.gov.uk © Atos IT Services UK Limited 2015

Link to Directgov homepage

Close X

But, current owner only own it for 12 month, but he gave me all the documents that I wanted to run check, he bought it from Volvo dealership. I went to see couple zed but they all have service history but once I asked about MOT reference they just ignore me. but this gave me mot reference and vin number. Fog light wasn't a big deal but seem like happening in 3 years 😅.

It seems very minor if you're happy with the rest of the car, I'm sure any competent garage would be able to sort it out for you if it's not something you could sort yourself. I'm sure some fellow owners from around your area could advise you on a good garage if needs be.

I wouldn't let that stop me buying a car I liked however, how are the brake pipes since the advisory? Have they been changed etc? As that could cost a few hundred to fix.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, he haven't change the brake pipe but changes 2 front tyres. I think with the price £4600, I have to fix it Myself,currently I'm quoting with few garage, waitin, some garage charge me for £800 for front and rear brake pipe :O

If you are happy with the car just buy it and worry about those things later, you have until Jan 2016 to enjoy the car. I would never fix something just becaue 1 MOT says so, they may just be trying to trick people into spending money afterall ;)

also, MOT testers have to be harsh, and will mention something to cover their backs. you could well have the same advisory appear on an MOT test year after year with no problems. Its an advisory, not a fail.

£4,600 is pretty darn cheap anyways. To be honest id be most worried if the seller is putting on new front tyres for you just before the sale, i'd check they're not some nasty ditchfinders - cos if they are you'd want to take them straight off again, which would waste everyones time and money.

• Like 1