Swerving under heavy braking

zakeri88

Hi guys,

I've noticed a lot today that under heavy braking my Z tries to swerve. I can feel the wheel trying to turn and it feels like the balance is shifting back and fourth between the tyres and I'm having to fight to keep in straight.

This is only under heavy braking mind. I upgraded the brakes about 4 months ago to EBC grooved discs + yellow stuff pads - they have a lot of stopping power to them. I'm wondering are the brakes too powerful for the tyres? In other words, are the tyres struggling to grip to the extent that the brakes can stop? The tyres are Avon Z225s and they've got about 3-4mm of thread depth left.

Or maybe its an alignment issue?

Thanks

I'd check the wheel nuts were tight, first off.

More likely to be a sticky caliper than anything wrong with the tyres. Could be alignment, but very unlikely. What happens when you brake hard with no hands on the wheel?

Okay, I've checked the nuts and the tyre pressure. Both are good. Yes I bedded in the braked properly. Bodyboarder, I think you're right. I'm going to book in a brake bleed and alignment just to be on the safe side. Hope its not the brake pistons...

• 3 weeks later...