Advice for a camera

Will370z

I know there are a lot of camera experts on the forum so wanted to pick your brains for some ideas as to be honest I don't have a clue when it comes to cameras.

I am after getting a camera for my dad, trouble is his eye sight isn't great so will need a big view screen. Simple to operate with a clear user interface and common sense functionality is also important, but I want something that will take good pictures.

Any advice or recommendations for particular cameras that may fit the bill. Budget is flexible, it's more important to get the right tool for the job. Got an exciting project coming up and he wants to record every step with photos.

Thanks again

Will

In that case, I would stick strictly to either Canon or Nikon. Nowt wrong with other brands, but there's not a good enough reason to switch for the purposes you're after.

Is it a surprise present? If not, then I'd take your Dad into a shop and get him to try out the cameras at the budget end of their ranges. IIRC that's the Nikon D3300 and the Canon EOS 1200D at the moment, although you'll probably find some bargain D3200s around as well right now. Doesn't matter which shop, you're not going to buy from there so even Currys will do.

I think I'd be looking at the 3300/3200 more than the 1200D, as I believe the screen is slightly bigger on the rear. I also happen to be a Nikon person myself though, so may be slightly biased ;) When I tried both brands back to back, there were less irritating features about the Nikon than the equivalent Canon, but then that's a very personal thing. Either of those bodies mentioned will give great results with a decent lens, and tbh that's where the real money you have to lay down is. Depending on what the project is, a bundled kit lens may not be suitable so you might have to look at buying just the body and then finding the best deal on the correct lens.

I've seen some great shots done by people on proper low-rent cameras, and some crap shots done by people on £5K worth of gear. Unless he's already familiar with the principles of DSLR photography, then there's no point buying anything too fancy, as it'll just give confusing options when really it's not needed IMHO.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/digital-slr-cameras/b3065?sortby=1

Always good for prices when you do come to buy, and great customer service too. That's where I get most of my bits from these days. If there's something specific you want though, I can check duty free prices at the airport and am happy to pick something up for you if it saves you a few quid :thumbs:

• Like 1

I would add Sony to Dan's suggestions, their SLT cameras are very very good and the screens are large and clear. If you go for one of the other 2, make sure it has Liveview :thumbs:

Edited by KyleR

Depends what your dad is going to be using it for really.

The problem with DSLR's is that they are quite bulky and heavy to carry around especially with a number of lenses on board.

If I go on a hike, I'll take a compact with a fixed lens but with the same size sensor(APS-C) as my DSLR, so the quality of pic is comparable. Much better than lugging a bag of lenses around.

Have you considered mirrorless compact system cameras (CSC) These now offer an alternative to both compact and DSLR. The best can match the quality and features of DSLR but smaller and lighter.

Then there are the bridge cameras which offer a huge zoom range.

So I would decide which type of camera system would be most suited to the job in hand, or prefered, then choose which brand to go for.

Also, more importantly, make sure it shoots in raw format. This way the image can be manipulated more easily in Lightroom/Photoshop, and without fear of degradation as with a jpeg file.

Up until recently I wouldn't have ever considered mirror-less cameras but the latest batch Sony mirror less camera offer all the benefits of DSLRs (good focus speed/image quality) but are much smaller and easier to use.

They're aren't that expensive either, and unless your dad is going to be investing £1000+ in professional lens the Sony kit lenses will be more than good enough.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-6000-body-kit

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a6000/13

I was also set to replace my Canon 550D with a £1500 7D Mark II, but the Sony A6000 and A7 have really caught my eye. I'm waiting to see if Sony start releasing some high end fast zoom lens for the A6000 before changing camera systems.

Canon and Nikon have been really slow with developing their mirrorless system. The only thing stopping me from ditching my Canon 550D for a Sony is because I love the 17-55mm f 2.8 Canon lens.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

The Sony RX-100 is an absolute superb compact camera with its 1" sensor and now into its 3rd incarnation.

Quite small to handle though, may not suit everyone.

I was very tempted to buy one, but went off the wall with my final choice :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...