Reggie the Stillen supercharged 370z

dajw

Serious question - reading some the previous posts about supercharging I came to the conclusion that it led to all sorts of issues that could be costly and time consuming to resolve. It put me off going down that route in future.

Is everything hunky-dory now?

Serious question - reading some the previous posts about supercharging I came to the conclusion that it led to all sorts of issues that could be costly and time consuming to resolve. It put me off going down that route in future.

I think the key to it all is to have the system installed professionally and a proper tune and there is no reason it shouldn't be as reliable as a standard car

The power delivery on mine is now fantastic and worth every penny :)

Things wrong with mine have only been silly nigly things

The facts are really I've done 8 thousand odd since charging and all is well :)

Like John says get it done right maintain it and drive it

Great fun

Hey mate: it's mostly been trouble free. The few issues I've had were because…

1. The rough running followed by failure of the ECU the day I collected the car. It stopped sending a spark to one of the plugs: probably water ingress and maybe unrelated to the installation of the supercharger kit. ECU repaired at the installer's cost. No issues since.

2. Somebody drive into the back of my car, and whilst it was being repaired I met Adrian. This is the main cause of all my issues. That man is like a money hoover! You can see the bank notes spiralling into Torqen. Fortunately when he empties the dustbag lots of shiny things fall out and magically appear on my car.

3. I added an oil cooler. I didn't have hot oil, but when I added the cooler my oil temp was down but my charge cooler overheated and the intakes were ingesting very hot air. Solution: remove the oil cooler. Mine didn't need one. Lesson learned.

4. I want to fit a frozen boost (I have one in the cellar, waiting). It won't fit in a way that I'm happy with. I won't touch the crash bar, nor deviate from the stock appearance of my car. Thinking on this one. Might get creative with a Dremel and some brackets. Why do this? On a hot day, or after a jolly good thrashing the car needs some cool-down. If you park it up, the intercooler/plenum heatsoaks and you get a little knocking. Drive carefully and it goes away once the airflow reduces the intercooler coolant temps. I got Jez at Horsham to fit a 6.5" fan that runs permanently on the Stillen heat exchanger radiator to help with this on 'normal' driving. I'm also tempted to do some pressure analysis on the bonnet and cut some discrete vents at a low pressure zone to pull air through the rads (but concerned this will deviate too much from the stock look, which I deem tasteful).

HTH

• Like 1

Missed one:

5. The auto transmission needs help! Firstly you can ask your tuning house to increase the line pressures on the gears to hold the increased torque, an essential part of mapping FI on the Auto (read Ady's build thread for what happens if you don't).

When you do this, the shifting becomes very firm, and often so hard that you can feel driveline shock / wheels chirp etc.

My solution to this was to let Ady wave his magic money hoover around. I bought his Level 10 transmissions built box. That holds the power, but retains the stock drive ability (mostly - I've got it set up firm).

4. I want to fit a frozen boost (I have one in the cellar, waiting). It won't fit in a way that I'm happy with. I won't touch the crash bar, nor deviate from the stock appearance of my car. Thinking on this one. Might get creative with a Dremel and some brackets. Why do this? On a hot day, or after a jolly good thrashing the car needs some cool-down. If you park it up, the intercooler/plenum heatsoaks and you get a little knocking. Drive carefully and it goes away once the airflow reduces the intercooler coolant temps. I got Jez at Horsham to fit a 6.5" fan that runs permanently on the Stillen heat exchanger radiator to help with this on 'normal' driving. I'm also tempted to do some pressure analysis on the bonnet and cut some discrete vents at a low pressure zone to pull air through the rads (but concerned this will deviate too much from the stock look, which I deem tasteful).

(Genral info )

Go Ecutek get the temp sensor fitting at the manifold and and then closed loop monitoring and good mapping and you won't get knock because the car will add fuel to cool the burn.

=happy engine

Edited by nissanman312

Really interesting stuff guys and has definitely made me reconsider the possibility for the future.

Just remember that it is a modified car, so there are days when it isn't quite behaving, or there's a rattle or it's really cold and you have to use a lot of throttle to start the bloody thing - this is when I think "sod it, I'm selling up for an SUV and a pair of comfortable slippers."

…Then you drive it and remember why you did this, with a massive smile!

Plus, how the hell do you even sell a car this modified?

• Like 2

The future is today :)

Nope. The future is about18 months when we move a few miles down the road to Jane's place, which is currently rented out to cover the remaining months of her mortgage and we go from chucking £1500 a month down the toilet in rent here to living mortgage/ rent free. You won't be able to get rid of me then ;)

• Like 2

Really interesting stuff guys and has definitely made me reconsider the possibility for the future.

Just remember that it is a modified car, so there are days when it isn't quite behaving, or there's a rattle or it's really cold and you have to use a lot of throttle to start the bloody thing - this is when I think "sod it, I'm selling up for an SUV and a pair of comfortable slippers."

…Then you drive it and remember why you did this, with a massive smile!

Plus, how the hell do you even sell a car this modified?

Erm....you don't sell Dom just keep it and buy something else :)

You could never pull back the money spent on mods unless you get some real enthusiast willing to pay extra and the work and problems encountered already sorted on a completed car

That's my plan! If the motor ever lets go then it will either be forged and TT or... Or something totally crazy like a Tesla powertrain (if that's even possible).

That would be nice umm tt

I was chatting to a chap yesterday about suspension setup and corner weighting

To really fine tune the handling :)

Now I've slapped a bit more weight in the front end

Also was chatting to the missus about new house lol :(

Edited by nissanman312