Reggie the Stillen supercharged 370z

dajw

Cheers for the pics , mine is quite different to that , but same sort of concept . It's there to stop air hitting the filters when on the move and getting turbulence from what I've read .

Jez also has said about using honey comb like material / shape just before the maf sensors to straighten / smooth the air .

So on your set up Dom it goes ..... Oil cooler - stillen radiator- coolant radiator ... Looking from left to right?

Edited by Bodyboarder81

Cheers for the pics , mine is quite different to that , but same sort of concept . It's there to stop air hitting the filters when on the move and getting turbulence from what I've read .

Jez also has said about using honey comb like material / shape just before the maf sensors to straighten / smooth the air .

So on your set up Dom it goes ..... Oil cooler - stillen radiator- coolant radiator ... Looking from left to right?

Or get an ecutec tune that can put all the safety parameters in there

Josh don't think you need to worry with the frozenboost

But Ian said he was getting det hence the safety map

Wide open throttle with high temps and open loop is bad that's how it was put to me

Don't for a minute think I'm preaching my install wasn't trouble free but I think they went to town on mapping and safety of the engine

Or get an ecutec tune that can put all the safety parameters in there

Josh don't think you need to worry with the frozenboost

But Ian said he was getting det hence the safety map

Wide open throttle with high temps and open loop is bad that's how it was put to me

Don't for a minute think I'm preaching my install wasn't trouble free but I think they went to town on mapping and safety of the engine

Ecutec don't do anything for the less fortunate that have to drive the 50's :(

Think the frozen boost is keeping me safe anyway :)

Although in the US there's only been a few blown with the standard rad .... And reading those it seems to have happen at the drag strip .

Yeah true I want I bigger cooler of some sort just because the car pulls power on me when it's dog hot :(

You both have one ...... It's just getting it to fit !!

My stillen rad is also different to yours , it's oblong shape , I would have thought this would be better as it could sit right along your air opening ....

Ill get a pic of it ..

Hope Dom doesn't mind us just having a chat on his thread !

Edited by Bodyboarder81

I have a small fan that runs permanently sandwiched on to the stillen HX. A little 6.5" thing. I figured that at street speeds I would rather get the benefit of forced cooling. At high speed the fan would get in the way of the rad doing its utmost. Anyway, it all seems to work quite well.

That said, I want to install a way of measuring the intercooler efficiency.

Ecutek alone isn't the solution Nic. Nice bit of kit but your chappy at Lichfield delivered a whole bunch of changes to optimise your car. I can't go down that route as have the auto.

Sounds promising.

Front (left to right as you look at the car)

Power steering

Mishimoto

Dual air filters on the y pipe

Behind that:

Stock radiator.

As my car has an oil/coolant HX I have noticed that with the mishimoto oil cooler and the thermostat at 85 degrees that the oil only gets to 85 degrees unless I give the car something of a workout. With the coolant/oil HX I have noticed that the coolant is also a notch lower than it used to be without the oil cooler.

I have a small fan that runs permanently sandwiched on to the stillen HX. A little 6.5" thing. I figured that at street speeds I would rather get the benefit of forced cooling. At high speed the fan would get in the way of the rad doing its utmost. Anyway, it all seems to work quite well.

That said, I want to install a way of measuring the intercooler efficiency.

Ecutek alone isn't the solution Nic. Nice bit of kit but your chappy at Lichfield delivered a whole bunch of changes to optimise your car. I can't go down that route as have the auto.

I agree I think a bigger cooler is the way

However the car messuring temps before the blower can't be good

The closed loop thingy can only be a good thing

All steps in the right direction

…

However the car messuring temps before the blower can't be good

All steps in the right direction

I'm (as usual) not sure it is that simple. Nissan use a draw through MAF configuration on our cars (and on the GT-R if I'm not mistaken) for a good reason I guess. Perhaps that might be cost. I would like to understand more about this to be able to separate actual measured engine behaviour from falling back to the status quo every time. It is in my nature to question everything and get observations done to validate assumptions.

I think the frozenboost answer might involve getting creative with brackets, as Adrian suggested. I'm not flipping my crash bar. Either that or sell the thing and find a different sized cooler.

That intake temp dom ..... I presume that's taken from the mafs , pre charger ?

Yes. It used to be ambient. Now it's gone up to 30 with that Mishimoto oil cooler right next to it. Bah!

How high dose your intake get dom mine was at a solid 50 today 60 when pushed hard

I can't compare Nic, yours is measured differently isn't it? If you can report the temps at the MAF then we can compare.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reggie's back on top form after a little visit to Horsham Developments for a few small tweaks this week. First up, more power!

More torque at low rpm

The tune was a bit conservative below 3500 rpm, (i.e. it fell off a cliff) so Jez has brought this up at the lower end. This has improved the 'day to day' drivability (I say day to day, as I don't drive everywhere at 5k rpm!).

tumblr_nqecpjGJ561t4owpgo1_640.jpg

It is about +25ft.lbs at 2000rpm (about +10%), and around +50ft.lbs at 1500rpm (+20%) according to Jez.

Gearbox tune

After a few weeks living with the car I decided that the line pressures just needed upping across the board. We went out for a few test runs on the local roads with Jez monitoring the shifting via UpRev and upped the pressures in the middle of the torque map. This has sharpened things up nicely, matching the experience that Adrian (Octet) described when he had the box (it shifts like stock but holds the power).

We also replaced the fluid just to be absolutely sure that it was all correct and proper, probably not necessary, but I like to remove the nagging doubts about the 'proper procedure'.

Moved the ambient air temp sensor

Because who wants the aircon at full power most of the time? The oil cooler dumped its heat right beside the AIT sensor, so the HVAC system thought it was 30 degrees outside when in reality it was only 18 degrees. Stiff nips no more. Hooray!

Fixed a rattle on the exhaust

Just a loose bolt, all sorted now. Still has that zingy hiss under deceleration though. Apparently just a thing with 350z and 370z with free flowing exhausts.

tumblr_nqeco7SLRj1t4owpgo9_640.jpg

tumblr_nqeco7SLRj1t4owpgo10_640.jpg

Whilst I'm at it, that diff is amazing. I have not once had a wheel spin up when it is supposed to be reeling in the horizon. Power down perfectly! In the wet, the Quaife is predictable. I fully intend to practise sliding about a bit once the tyres are a bit more worn out!

Gave the car a wash and took a few photos, because who wouldn't want to go for a drive in that gorgeous car? B)

tumblr_nqeco7SLRj1t4owpgo5_640.jpg

tumblr_nqeco7SLRj1t4owpgo4_640.jpg

tumblr_nqeco7SLRj1t4owpgo1_640.jpg