18x9 All round - Any photos? (Not another fittment thread)

longsh07

Suggested by Mark at Abbey after emailing him about track day mods.

Not been able to find much on them so guess its fairly uncommon.

Anyone running 18x9's all round or have any photos?

(ET25 preferably but beggars cant be choosers)

Suggestion was 18x9's all round with 265/35 tyres. Gives the advantage of being able to rotate tyres around easily.

Also some track day tyres in this size are like half the price of road tyres for my 19" LMGT4's!

Cheers

Why is that? I keep seeing conflicting info on staggered vs square wheels and tyres. Mostly relating to traction control being an issue.

Edit: other info points to more neutral setup which can promote oversteer.

Edited by longsh07

Square wheels, yes.

Square tyres, No.

Why?

I'm not trying to be awkward. I'm genuinely looking for a reason for this.

Mark also suggested 18x8 and 18x9 or 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 but I'm interested in exploring the square fitment option.

Square wheels, yes.

Square tyres, No.

Why?

I'm not trying to be awkward. I'm genuinely looking for a reason for this.

Mark also suggested 18x8 and 18x9 or 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 but I'm interested in exploring the square fitment option.

I think it's just personal preference,

But for me with a RWD I'd prefer staggered from a steering perspective.

Another way to look at it is weight distribution. (I don't know any of the numbers) but a lot of people run different setups for a balance of weight.

Again it's all just personal preference on how it feels to you.

remember most rwd cars are set up for mild understeer at the limit, and because staggered wheels look better. certainly on our bmw we want as much front tyre as possible to actually get a neutral stance through corners - we'll likely be running 18x8 wheels with 245/35 tyres front and rear.

you can also affect the handling of a car a lot with camber and toe changes, having a car with really wide rear tyres will still oversteer if the toe and camber is out. conversely a square setup will still undertseer if the alignment is out, or the tyres are just bad!

Looks is more of an afterthought to be honest. I'd rather have the right fitment than the best looking.

Yes I know, I'm sure there are probably ways of dialling out oversteer/understeer with specific alignment settings - most likely at the cost of tyre wear.

There is a YouTube video of 4 different 350's in Japan from various tuner companies competing on track, at least 2 of these ran square set ups, so it obviously has its benefit.

If it was up to me, i'd have square set up for track only wheels, so I can swap front and rears when necessary and another set of staggered for road use.

The only benefit of running same size tyres all round from a dynamic POV is that you're going to find it very, very easy to slide the back end out. It will oversteer much more easily and much quicker than a proper staggered tyre setup.

If you want to hoon, or want to practice catching a sliding car then it's ideal. If you actually want to go quickly, then it's really not. No right or wrong answer, it's just what you prefer, but excessive sliding will rightfully see you black-flagged across the UK.

I run square tyres and wheels on my e46 m3 - it means I can rotate tyres to get more life from them and because the fronts are now wider, I can brake harder, I can dial out the under steer more and I make fewer tyre screechy noises.

If I were the OP though, why not do a couple of days on stock sized wheels and tyres, review what you think the problems are, and then resolve using your own info. So much of what everybody says is specific to driving style, experience, car setup, etc.. that what works for one person may not be as good for another.

The only benefit of running same size tyres all round from a dynamic POV is that you're going to find it very, very easy to slide the back end out. It will oversteer much more easily and much quicker than a proper staggered tyre setup.

If you want to hoon, or want to practice catching a sliding car then it's ideal. If you actually want to go quickly, then it's really not. No right or wrong answer, it's just what you prefer, but excessive sliding will rightfully see you black-flagged across the UK.

Fair point.

I watched the tuned Z hot version video and two of the Z's there used 235/40 front and 265/35 rear which looked interesting. I'd assume thats on a 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 stagger but I couldnt find any info on their wheel sizes.

I run square tyres and wheels on my e46 m3 - it means I can rotate tyres to get more life from them and because the fronts are now wider, I can brake harder, I can dial out the under steer more and I make fewer tyre screechy noises.

If I were the OP though, why not do a couple of days on stock sized wheels and tyres, review what you think the problems are, and then resolve using your own info. So much of what everybody says is specific to driving style, experience, car setup, etc.. that what works for one person may not be as good for another.

Well I dont actually run the stock size wheels. My LMGT4's are 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 which I guess is the same stagger but just an inch bigger.

To be fair though, I do have my GT4 alloys with a set of nearly new Falken 452's on. They probably wouldn't appreciate a track day but its an option.