McLaren 570s

350 Russ

i just dont like it

its like buying a nokia lumina it will be fun and different for a bit but soon realise your a on your own as everyone else bought a 911 (android) or a merc (IOS) and eveyone is providing support for them

i just dont like it

its like buying a nokia lumina it will be fun and different for a bit but soon realise your a on your own as everyone else bought a 911 (android) or a merc (IOS) and eveyone is providing support for them

Is there something i dont know about Maclaren after sales/support?

Not every one wants a Porsche, Merc etc, sales numbers on the 12c were good so doubt this will be any different :)

Some people do, yes. Look at the people on here who own a 350Z just because it's different.

Some people just buy the best car for them, and to hell what others think.

The 570 would have to be a very special drive to tempt me ahead of a 911TT. It's not just the performance, it's also the practicality, and a 2+2 4WD sports car is a very practical thing indeed. That said, I wouldn't actually buy either, as at that price I'd be hanging off a used 458 instead. Bearing in mind options, you're looking at the McLaren being the wrong side of £160K I suspect.

Plenty of people do, that's partly why the 911 is so successful.

I bought the 911 over the R8 partly because of the complete lack of storage space in the Audi. These things do matter, especially when touring.

• Like 1

Who spends 160k ish on a supercar for practicality?

My sentiments exactly but as Ekona says some people do :)

I hate the "but i can use it everyday" point, i wouldnt want a supercar i can use everyday, i want something i lust after going for a drive in, not something i can sit in the morning rush hour in or take the kids to school in because its "practical". Practical and supercar should not be used in the same sentence imho.

Porsche obviously know what they are doing and its always been known as the supercar you can drive everyday and have plenty of success from it so who i am to argue, i cant afford either but if i could i know where my money would go if i had to buy new.

If 2nd hand was on the menu too, i would be viewing the same 458's as Ekona.

• Like 1

Oi, I saw it first! :p

The days of the impractical super sports car are long gone thankfully. As cool as the Countach is, zero rear visibility and a cramped hot cockpit aren't much fun. What you want is something that you CAN use every day, something that won't kill you when you get stuck in traffic in Monaco, and something that you can fit the week's luggage in for your trip to Le Mans every year. :)

What you want is something that you CAN use every day

As you say, long gone are the days of the Countach, so pretty much every supercar is now usable everyday if you desire, with a few exceptions.

Doesnt mean i would want to though, i want something with a sense of drama, a sense of occasion, something i want to turn back and look at when parked, something that will get the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end and there is no right or wrong about it, however good the 911 is, it just doesnt do it for me and the same goes for the R8.

458, pretty much anything Lamborghini, Aston Martin is a different story :)

I would love a Gallardo, i know there not the best, i know there not the quickest, but it is one car i would have in a heartbeat :)

Edited by Jetpilot

No, I agree with you, for the money I'd want something proper thrilling too, but I can see why a lot of people would go for the 911.

At £150k, there's a lot of used super cars out there that would flick my switch far more than either the 911 or the 570S. :)

A buddy of mine was bitten by the supercar bug last year, he started with a Ferrari California and decided to change this year, I guess his budget was 150k give or take. His business partner has a 458 Spider and he was looking at those, I was very surprised he ended with, yep you guessed it, a 911 Turbo S cab.

I am with you, with anything near that budget I would in no way plumb for a 911.

Back to topic though, if new was the criteria, i think the Maclaren is a great alternative to the mainstream manufacturers.

A 991TTS will make a 458 feel very slow, I guess that's probably why he went for it. Sounds like he needs the extra space too, if he had a Cali before hand.

At £150K brand new, what else is there? 911, 570, R8...?

A 991TTS will make a 458 feel very slow, I guess that's probably why he went for it. Sounds like he needs the extra space too, if he had a Cali before hand.

At £150K brand new, what else is there? 911, 570, R8...?

Space wasnt a requirement, just him and his wife, no kids, but your right, i think it was just outright performance.

That's crazy then, the 458 is a much better car in every way I can think of. It's even got a huge boot!

I guess if you don't want to have to work for the performance then the turbo probably does suit better. No way I could trade that V8 and that chassis for a 911 though, and coming from me that's saying a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Granted, but you cant compare new with 2nd hand.

Of course you can, everyone does unless they're utterly, utterly minted. And if they are, they're not buying the poverty spec McLaren ;)

If you want a NEW car, your not looking at the 2nd hand alternatives.

I would be looking 2nd hand all day, but some people will want new for the kudos that brings, spec it exactly as they want it, be the first to own, new model etc To be honest, no one would buy new in your logic, as most likely there is always a better 2nd hand option.

Maybe comparison is the wrong word :) But if you want new, you wont be "comparing" against 2nd hand alternatives, no matter what they might be :)