DIY Bumper Smooth

Mikey Thompson

Hi all,

I am looking to smooth my front bumper (badge recess and number plate holes) on the GM 350.

Ringing around for quotes and as I'm sure you're aware it gets pretty expensive due to labour costs.

Well me and my brother have had the idea of prepping the car ourselves, get it somewhere near and only pay the body shop to finish off and spray.

I've always wanted to do this work myself and me and my brother, who has been a mechanic for over 15 years, are no dab hands at this but know our way around simple paint prepping.

Just wondering if there's anyone on here who has done this themselves before? What's the best way of filling the holes and the recess to prevent future cracking and any other tips on the prep?

I know patience and time are the major factors so we won't be skimping on those.

Thanks in advance,

Mikey

P.S. Please don't comment with 'just get the body shop to do it', I'm looking for people who have done this and succeeded, not those who haven't had the balls to do it.

The recess you should be able to just use body filler, as for the holes I would perhaps be looking to apply some fibreglass on the back then fill over from the front :shrug:

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 1

The recess you should be able to just use body filler, as for the holes I would perhaps be looking to apply some fibreglass on the back then fill over from the front :shrug:

I've heard of horror stories of bits like this cracking or falling out. Any idea how to avoid this?

They have to be filled with something . . can't use screwed up newspaper you know . . :lol:

Prep work is the key, making sure the filler and fibreglass bond correctly to the bumper surface should stop any cracking.

I would be checking and researching on web/youtube on how to do this :shrug:

I am sure some of the peeps on here who have done this will be along shortly. You could check out some of the build threads also.

I used fibreglass and filler to achieve mine, this was on a second attempt though, on my first i just used filler and over the course of about a month the filler sank back and you could see where the badge would've sat through the paint. Filler and fibreglass has done the trick though. :D

I used fibreglass and filler to achieve mine, this was on a second attempt though, on my first i just used filler and over the course of about a month the filler sank back and you could see where the badge would've sat through the paint. Filler and fibreglass has done the trick though. :D

This was done with putting the fibre glass in first and then the filler on top to get the smooth finish?

If you have a motor factor that sells paint and sundries, ask for a tin of ISOPON P40 glass fibre compound. Its for bridging and repairing holes. Flat down with wet or dry paper afterwards then present to the bodyshop for paint. HALFRAUDS stock this item if desperate. :)

If you have a motor factor that sells paint and sundries, ask for a tin of ISOPON P40 glass fibre compound. Its for bridging and repairing holes. Flat down with wet or dry paper afterwards then present to the bodyshop for paint. HALFRAUDS stock this item if desperate. :)

Halfrauds hahaa!

Awesome, thanks! Will the P40 be adequate to fill the holes left from behind the number plate? About the size of a 2p coin I believe.

Just apply it from behind first, sand back then apply P38 over the top?

I didn't do mine (no balls :lol: ) but something my guy said might be worth noting. When the bumper was being baked the bumper and filler started to react differently to the heat and you could see the outline of the holes become apparent. Naturally they backed off the heat and in the end it was left to dry over a few days. The finish is spot on now.

Good luck :)

I didn't do mine (no balls :lol: ) but something my guy said might be worth noting. When the bumper was being baked the bumper and filler started to react differently to the heat and you could see the outline of the holes become apparent. Naturally they backed off the heat and in the end it was left to dry over a few days. The finish is spot on now.

Good luck :)

I'll have to bare that in mind, appreciate it!

I'm going to use the existing recess and cut it out, pull it forward then plastic weld

• 2 years later...

I flushed my number plate holes by applying masking tape to the front of the bumper nice and tight, fibreglassed from behind so got a good shape and flush, rubbed down and skimmed with filler I've got images in my 370Z build thread, only took a couple of hours.

Cheers lee

• Like 1