Bike Rack

kilapot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry maybe I missed something... but have you considered putting it in the boot? Someone else could put their racer bike in...

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

depends on your bike size, flexibility to dismantle ( quick releases etc)

here are the pics from the thread above

2454777_17_full.jpg

2454777_15_full.jpg

2454777_16_full.jpg

alternatively you could try this and home make one...

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread. ... t=tow+hook

or perhaps this

http://search.cartserver.com/search/sea ... 9&GO=GO%21

then you can go to halfrauds and buy one of those bike racks that mount to the tow hook ball.

EASY...

Orrrrr,

Dismantle it like this:

180px-Railway-cutting-2-a.jpg

And assemble it like this:

250px-SMAW.welding.af.ncs.jpg

Sorted.

Seriously though I still think you could fit a mountain bike in the boot. A few allen keys plus quick release wheels and you’re sorted.

Guy

I will be getting a 350z, prob will take 4-6 months to get the funds together, I will make the mtn bike thing work..... biggest issue with the bike inside is that often I would be heading away for a weekend of camping to boot (no I haven't got a beard and a wooly jumper). Oh and not to mention a mtn bike can get very very very dirty.... think the bird rack is therefore preferable or the tow bar hitch thing which I had also spotted..... but to be honest would be looking to gte made in the uk and use a slot in ball/mnt rack off that.

Just now desperate to get my hands on an azure blue or gun mental 350z GT probably a budget of about 18K.... should get me a an 04/54 plate now....?? So I'm guessing a 54/05 plate in a few months...

Oh and azure blue will go very nicely with my marin eldridge glade which is a similar colour....

Cheers for all the help and advice.... you can deffo calm down....... TT idea is history........

:thumbs:

Not convinced you read my first post SimonD, but think its quite apparent that I'm aiming to run ONE very nice car and as such it will have to be used more than just for sticking bits of flash kit on........ I dont see how using a motor for 3 or 4 days a month mountain biking (being realistic) requires someone to buy a 'transporter' but i'll confine your comments to the 'less useful' section.

:rant:

By all means confine my comments to the 'less useful' section but remember you asked for and received advice. I too will be interested in seeing what happens in the next 8 - 10 months (allowing you to get your finances in sync and then having had the car for a couple of months) and seeing whether your solution worked for you. Having been a member of a number of Z sites over the years I really haven't seen too many people championing the bike\roof rack thing.

Don't take all this abuse from those who don't understand!! :boxing:

I too am a keen mountain biker and hit the very same problem as you and I did a lot of looking into the options. (As a point of reference I ride an 18" Giant NRS.)

First off an MTB will not fit in the boot of a Zed due to the cross brace and the distance between the rear dropouts and the frame length between the head tube and dropout. I even tried with a the frame totally stripped down and there was no way. (Those pictures with the road bike should be ignored, the frame is significantly narrower than an MTB.)

However - if you're desperate - the wheels and saddle will fit in the boot and the frame, (with forks and bars), will fit on the passenger seat. Personally I've never gone anywhere like this I just tried it for size and decided the risk of damage to the car wasn't worth it. But it would work if properly secured and if in a bike bag.

I have seen a Saris rack on the back of a Zed...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360009223&N=Saris%20Bones%203%20Rack

..and I borrowed one to see how it fitted. It fits ok, and lifts the bike good and high out of the way, but it still requires straps to hold it down which have to be clipped over the edges off the boot. I didn't like this as they are just points for the paint to rub off, plus it was difficult to mount without them resting on the lip of the spoiler.

I also found the racks in the US that you have found. These require you to remove the plastic rear bumper section and mount them to the aluminium bumper and then refit everything. These looked the most promising option with minimum risk of damaging the car, but they were not cheap at $400 + shipping + import duty + VAT.

Soooo.......

I spent £100 on a rent-a-wreck that I can lob the bike in and not worry about mud or damage, plus I can use it as a cheap run-around saving mileage and fuel on the Zed. Oh and when you get out of the wreck and into the Zed boy do you really appreciate how fantastic that car is!! :teeth: (I know you've said you don't want to go down this route, but it worked for me.)

P.s. Don't get a TT! :yuck:

Soooo.......

I spent £100 on a rent-a-wreck that I can lob the bike in and not worry about mud or damage, plus I can use it as a cheap run-around saving mileage and fuel on the Zed. Oh and when you get out of the wreck and into the Zed boy do you really appreciate how fantastic that car is!! :teeth: (I know you've said you don't want to go down this route, but it worked for me.)

P.s. Don't get a TT! :yuck:

Seems to be a good solution. If you only need to transport your bike a few times a year, rent a car or borrow a friend's car...

Wow. Enough said and I'm sure I didn't push the car anywhere near its limits...... have given up worrying about the bike issue.

I should be able to indulge in a fair bit of my biking by cycling to the local train station, getting off near my usuall route cycle to the forest go for a burn and trace my steps back....... Or by turning 50mile round trips into 65 mile round trips by cycling to the meet point.

But thats a side issue the car is awesome.... but hey I know I'm preaching to the converted........ and thankfully nowhere near as common as those in the TT crowd.

Wow. Enough said and I'm sure I didn't push the car anywhere near its limits...... have given up worrying about the bike issue.

I should be able to indulge in a fair bit of my biking by cycling to the local train station, getting off near my usuall route cycle to the forest go for a burn and trace my steps back....... Or by turning 50mile round trips into 65 mile round trips by cycling to the meet point.

But thats a side issue the car is awesome.... but hey I know I'm preaching to the converted........ and thankfully nowhere near as common as those in the TT crowd.

Thank god you saw the error of your ways. An extra 15 miles on your ride mean you'll weigh less meaning your zed will be even quicker :teeth::lol:

• 2 months later...

A pal of mine lives round the corner from my gaff, drives a diesel peugeot 306..... and we're gonna insure both cars for both drivers and on the odd occasion I need a bike carrier or need more than two seats we will swap cars.

Obviously I trust his driving and safes me the hassle of one of the following:

cheapo second drive

imported bike rack

hiring cars as and when.

Just gotta get the car sorted now. Should be good for mid to late feb, ideally I'll pick it up after getting back from my half term holiday to Poland........ getting all excited just thinking about it.....

A pal of mine lives round the corner from my gaff, drives a diesel peugeot 306..... and we're gonna insure both cars for both drivers and on the odd occasion I need a bike carrier or need more than two seats we will swap cars.

Obviously I trust his driving and safes me the hassle of one of the following:

cheapo second drive

imported bike rack

hiring cars as and when.

Just gotta get the car sorted now. Should be good for mid to late feb, ideally I'll pick it up after getting back from my half term holiday to Poland........ getting all excited just thinking about it.....

Good solution! Good luck getting a mint Z with your favorite specs!

• 3 weeks later...

Er no. I haven't bothered have entered into an arrangement with a pal. We just swap cars when I'm desperate to use the bike. I'm away up north 2 weekends a month visiting the lady. So time free to mtn bike is limited, so swapping cars once a month is an easy solution....

http://www.birdautomotive.com/sales.htm

not meaning to answer my own question but it looks reasonable no? Better than a trailer for sure...........

Did you buy this bike rack? I have the same problem as you - I have had a 350z for 18 months, now want to get a new one but want to transport my bike. Its a bmw z coupe unless i can get a bike rack...

Why not just buy a £400 15 yr old car that you can use to transport the bike? :)

Using the centrally postioned towing eye in the rear bumper I mounted a modified Halfords rack. The additional bracket was made up professionally and powder coated to match. Only mods to the car are two very small semi-circular cut outs on the bottom side of the rear plastic bumper - only visible from underneath.

So so much better than the fragile arrangement from Bird Automotive in the States.

It's absolutely solid and good for well over 100mph on Private Roads.

Leaving boot space clear for all your associated biking kit.

• 6 months later...

Hmmm, after buzzing round europe in the zed I've picked up a 'shopping trolley' for a mix of work commutes (Zed comes out to play on a Friday though) and for the mtn bike....

Got 130mph out of her on the Autobahn, plenty fast enuff for me. Somehow my average speed ended up being 29mph.... and I got 28.5 mpg (aircon on constantly) during the run the 3 week tour that took in Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Liechenstein, Italy and France.