dipstick reading!! whats the secret please

timb2010

I know dipsticks have been discussed loads, but every search I've found seems to be trouble getting the dipstick back in or seated properly.

I just can't get a reading from it! I wipe it clean with a cloth and when I take it out I have oil all the way up from tip to the middle. I've tried pulling it out at different angles and rotations, even tried to pull it out like that game without it touching the sides!!! But it's still all the way up the stick. I know it's not overfilled.

Is there a secret to getting a good ready please?

No secret as far as I'm aware. :shrug:

Done on a cold engine whilst the car has been parked on level ground overnight ~ I just pull out the dip stick, wipe the stick clean, replace and then 5 or so seconds later pull it out again to get my reading.

I use a torch when replacing it in the hole to help make sure it goes in the right place easy enough. ;)

As Granville said really.

If you're still having trouble getting a reading, remove the filler cap and the dipstick, leave the oil to settle for a few minutes and try again. You might only get a 3 or 4 attempts before you need to give it a minute or so resettle again, but that should be plenty to get a couple of good readings.

definitely works best when stone dead cold - and remember, the only bit you're actually interested in is the bit between the min and max mark - anything thats smeared up the dipstick when you've taken it out can be ignored. its relatively easy to get a decent reading, its getting it back in the hole that i find difficult - who designs a dipstick with so many notches along its length? :wacko:

definitely works best when stone dead cold - and remember, the only bit you're actually interested in is the bit between the min and max mark - anything thats smeared up the dipstick when you've taken it out can be ignored. its relatively easy to get a decent reading, its getting it back in the hole that i find difficult - who designs a dipstick with so many notches along its length? :wacko:

Ribbed for your dis-pleasure!

• Like 1

Thank you all, I've been out in the dark with a torch as the car is cold......I was told by the guy that did my old cars MOT always check after a run as the oil will be warm and I get an accurate reading!!!!!! He was the dipstick!!! I've got a reading and It was near low so I've topped up to the top of the grooved area with cheap 10w40 SS. I've got a full service coming up soon I hope it will be ok.

Is up to the F ok? I wasn't supposed to fill to the middle or anything was I?

As it was near the "L", if it was dangerously low would I have had a light on the dash? Or a low reading of the oil pressure gauge? worried now....

Thanks again all!!

Is this you giving someone tips on how to check the oil level :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

2 or 3?

Big difference when it only has 5 in the sump.

Either is a lot to add on a level check IMO

You best check it more often as when the light comes on its usually a bad sign for our engines, and normally means damage has been done.

2 or 3?

Big difference when it only has 5 in the sump.

Either is a lot to add on a level check IMO

You best check it more often as when the light comes on its usually a bad sign for our engines, and normally means damage has been done.

+1.

By the time the "oil warning" light comes on it's usually far too late.

Best to check the oil at least every two weeks imo or more often if you're doing more miles (I only do around 50-90 miles per week). Weekly is a good habit to follow. :thumbs:

Thanks flyboy, It was the end amount of one 5litre bottle and just under half of a new one. So around there. Will be checking weekly now. .. bit embarrassed.......

The oil light didn't ever come on and I think I had about 2litres in there.

Hope I'm ok ! I'm going to be paranoid now... Would tell tail signs be oil burnt in exhaust smoke?

Edited by timb2010