GT spec braces

Daryl

Has anyone got any of these fitted? Iv got the 3 that were being sold by Pritchard, the 2 rear lower ones, and the front lower one. Just wondering how long these should take to fit, given that probably a few bolts are solid etc. Also, do I need to get a geo set up again after they are fitted? One last question, are these actually any good, compared to something like the Summit Racing braces?

Great quality bits of kit from all reports but the most expensive... expensive = best ? who knows, these are just bars welded together so it's the welding joins which matter imho (and that they fit hah).

When did you last have an alignment ? (if it's been 6+ months, might as well not that these bits affect it)

You're going to be tackling some tough nuts and bolts that'll need some soaking in something like Plusgas over night....

I can't say it enough, make the job easier and faster by getting hold of an impact wrench with the correct impact sockets. My one was £65, mains and a set of deep impact sockets £20, plus I had a few normal length impact sockets.

Edited by RobPhoboS

Cheers Rob, iv got some GT85, that il be soaking the nuts and bolts in. Wouldnt mind the big midpoint brace too, but I gather that is quite expensive, and im not sure who sells it, though I see Clark Motorsport are selling the Summit racing ones, so maybe thats an option. I usually use my rachets with my extendable wheel brace attached, as that tends to provide enough leverage, plus, iv has my geo done last year at Kaiser, and im booked in to see him in a few weeks, so I may just ask if he can fit them, as it would be easier up on ramps, rather than on axle stands, plus he was going to do a geo set up and brake bleed for me.

The Summit one is the front-mid one (same as the Tanabe and others), the GT Spec is the mid one - they can be used together...

I'd be very interested to see IF you genuinely notice a difference on the road with these ones, and not just saying you do because you slapped some cash down :lol:;)

Yeah if you're going to him, you might as well (although I personally really enjoy working on it now).

It's not just the torque/leverage, I've found that the action of the impact wrench doesn't put as much continuous torque onto the bolts, which as you may have found... snaps them sometimes :rant:

Depending where you are based, you could always use a self service garage with ramps (I've used Pit Start in Acton).

Edited by RobPhoboS

Yeah i see what you mean, less twisting load through the head of the bolt,more shock and hopefully release! Lol

I really enjoy playing with my car, so i may have a stab at it myself, i managed to fit my own exhaust and ARB's, so im not a complete novice. And that way i can see if they have made a difference or not.

• Like 1

Got a link to your impact wrench and sockets at all Rob?

I got my one from Machine Mart (as it's only up the road), a bit cheaper on ebay if not urgent:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cew1000-electric-impact-wrench

Pro's and con's for a corded one but I'd rather have continuous power rather than batteries for this thing.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-10-Piece-1-2-Square-Drive-Deep-Metric-Impact-Socket-Set-10mm-27mm-38369-/291379386642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d7909912

NOTE - no 15mm piece in there ! (buy separately at the same time or find a full kit - you know it'll be sods law you need it)

Do check for that whilst searching, as the set I bought didn't have a 12mm :wacko::lol:

Cheers Rob,will look into that. Are the GT Spec ones not as good as the Summit racing ones Dan?

As I mentioned, they are just welded bits of metal - I personally think they are all the same :lol:

GTSpec ones are the most expensive, thus people assume the 'best', I wouldn't worry mate, no reports of them exploding.

Cheers Rob,will look into that. Are the GT Spec ones not as good as the Summit racing ones Dan?

As I mentioned, they are just welded bits of metal - I personally think they are all the same :lol:

GTSpec ones are the most expensive, thus people assume the 'best', I wouldn't worry mate, no reports of them exploding.

Lol,thats good to know! I love the colour of the them, was thinking before i got them id get them powder coated red, but tempted to keep them as is now iv seen them