Airride

jayrishi

Air ride seems like a great idea, but the cost of the kit and installation, not to mention the ongoing maintenance is vvery hight. Just seems like a massive hassle for not much gain over coilovers... Unless you want to run really low, but then that makes the car undrivable on UK roads.

Edited by Paddy78

I understand airride on vip rides, form over function and all that, but not on a sports coupe. I know that may sound hypocritical from a guy running 19's with poke and stretch but they are easily swapped for track days. Personally it would be too much of a compromise for me.

I understand airride on vip rides, form over function and all that, but not on a sports coupe. I know that may sound hypocritical from a guy running 19's with poke and stretch but they are easily swapped for track days. Personally it would be too much of a compromise for me.

And what is the compromise?

I think the systems available now from what I have seen (not experienced to be far) are so good, I don't think there really is any?

Airride has come a long way tbh.

They come as standard on high end germans (Mercedes, Audi)

I mean, forget the old image of Latinos in their low riders hittin switches.

These newer generation kits have been built with a purpose in mind.

If it hadn't been for the law change in Germany, I would have fitted airride on mine before moving.

Germany has banned all kinds of aftermarket air suspension due to an accident on the autobahn which ended in a fatality.

Hi guy I had airride on the Hayabusa, fantastic for shows but practicality wise was that it did not ride like the original shock and this was an all singing all dancing piec of kit and it was 5 years back so I decided to remove it.

Car wise is a whole new ball game it does actually work and it is something that I will want in the future but finding the right system fo he Z is the problem, :thumbs:

Youve got to love all the experts, some great advice here ....... :lol:

The guys Ive spoken to with it say handling hasnt really suffered, in most cases its better than OE and arguably as good as coilies but ride always improves - the cost is the major issue but if youre just looking to run uber low then check out lift kits like Stance Solutions, they can be used alongside traditional coilovers and dont cost anywhere near what air does. Having seen some of the recent tests (the GTR vid up there is a good one) Id be tempted to consider it as an alternative to a £1500 set of coilovers ......... except I spent a lot less than that on my coilovers ;)

BTW, bouncing cars and hitting switches is hydraulics, not air ;)

Having seen some of the recent tests (the GTR vid up there is a good one)

Not knocking the Air Lift vid, but the stock car gets held up considerably ona few corners by another car whereas the Air Lift one has a totally clean lap... just saying... ;)

And what is the compromise?

I think the systems available now from what I have seen (not experienced to be far) are so good, I don't think there really is any?

They have come a long way tbf.

Compromises, cost, geometry set up, adjustability (dampening etc) i guess there is a reason most race cars run springs and shocks :)