Plate size query.

Jay M1988

Hey all, after spending the week searching the web I've found a plate size im content with but there is no detail of the plate size. Firstly i apologise using a possible members photo.

Can anyone help me with working out the size so i can order one from demon plates.

Much appreciated guys.

easiest way would be to get a sheet of A4 and hold it to the front of the car. Mark it with the rough proportions you want then measure that. Print your reg onto a piece of paper so it fits those dimensions. If it looks good, order that size :lol:

OR

Go onto a plate making website, write down the most common small sizes, draw the outline of them onto a piece of paper and compare :)

I'm struggling to see what you're after ... the photo shows a standard size plate with standard (legal) font ... Are you looking to get a plate that is smaller ? If so you'll have to tell us your registration and we can then work out what size your plate will be

for instance my registration will fit on a shorter plate than a current registration will

Characters must be 79mm tall

Characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be 50mm wide

The character stroke (the thickness of the black print) must be 14mm

The space between characters must be 11mm

The space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 33mm

The margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate must be 11mm

Just be wary that Old Bill will pull you for non standard plates - its a 3 pointer. I speak from experience. I always have my regular ones in the car so can refit in a few mins so avoided the 3 points to date. Some members have never had a problem whilst others have but It was explained to me that now the road tax and insurance database works off plodcam in their car - the camera needs the regular size - not sure it that's correct or not but sound plausible.

Just be wary that Old Bill will pull you for non standard plates - its a 3 pointer. I speak from experience. I always have my regular ones in the car so can refit in a few mins so avoided the 3 points to date. Some members have never had a problem whilst others have but It was explained to me that now the road tax and insurance database works off plodcam in their car - the camera needs the regular size - not sure it that's correct or not but sound plausible.

Yea I was sitting in the back of a traffic police car the other month (don't ask) and I was surprised to see a screen checking the plate of every car passing both ways. Obviously checking every plate - very clever !

I very rarely run with a small plate on the car, normally it's when I forget to put the full size back on after a show. That mini plate is literally the exact size to hide the holes where the normal plate is as I'm too cheap to pay to have them filled :lol:

I very rarely run with a small plate on the car, normally it's when I forget to put the full size back on after a show.

That's my usual excuse !

I have a front Japanese replica plate for this year need to note to self to remove it as that may take some serious explaining!

I very rarely run with a small plate on the car, normally it's when I forget to put the full size back on after a show.

That's my usual excuse !

I have a front Japanese replica plate for this year need to note to self to remove it as that may take some serious explaining!

to be fair, that's probably actually slightly MORE believable than I have an identical tiny one, as hopefully no-one would be such a spoon as to try and run a fake japanese plate all the time :lol:

Plate size is actually not a legal requirement. As long as the letters and spacings are correct (as in ATTAK Z's post above) the plate can be any size. I've had the lecture and been given the documentation from plod

• Like 1