Advice needed on tyres - 18" Rays size and make

Chris dance

Hi, i'm relatively new to z ownership, having brought mine in October. When i brought it the rear tyres fitted were some cheap make i've never even heard of, that are............well crap!

I've got falken 452's fitted on the front, that seem to be good, and have plenty of life left in them. But i noticed today that i have the same sized tyres fitted on the front and rear! im sure i read somewhere (on here probably) that this plays the traction control up? i have 225/45's fitted all round.

Im hoping the fronts are the correct size and the rears aren't (as their crap and need replacing anyway) but thought i'd check on here!

Also what tyres do you recommend? im looking for something that will give good all round grip, and will last if looked after ( i drive it hard and im hoping to do a track day, but i don't sit and do wheel spins in car parks like a prat )

thanks in advance for any help.

35psi is standard. although the zeds steering is heavy anyway.

and good news, the 225/45 fronts are the right size, you need 245/45 on the rear. falken have discontinued the FK452, so for a similar level of grip and price i'd probably go for Hankook V12s.

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 1

Ditch the crap tyres.

Sell the falkens if they have loads of meat as they are mid level tyres.

Get ultra high performance tyres and the zed will thank you since you drive it hard and plan on some trackdays.

Michelin pilot sports 2 or supersports get my vote all day long. They are expensive but will last you a long time and have probably the best performance this side of non race or semi slick tyres.

While you are there also check your discs and pads are adequate and do a full aligment geometry as I bet you it will be off.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. i'll look into prices on some michelins then! i did the pads a few weeks ago, upgraded them to ferodo's, and now i've bedded them in properly and they've stopped squealing like hell, the brakes are fantastic! the disc's have plenty of life in them yet.

I'll get it fully aligned and checked when i get the tyres fitted, and give it a good service just before the track day.

• 3 months later...

Openeo is the only place to get tyres.Have a look.Delivered in two days.Cheapest I could get two fronts for my Nismo Juke was £169 each..£113 delivered from Openeo.Came up trumps again..

• 3 months later...

Worth a Mention as a biker and a new Z owner, I use EBC pads on the bikes, and Likewise for cars, if you are going to sling it round a track get some Yellowstuff pads, used in anger they will put you through the window if you stand on them, Great on standard discs, But get your fluid flushed and new stuff in, Worth a set of Braided Lines also if you can do it.... Best upgrade you will ever do for any track work...... Unless your going to be silly and start stripping the car back....!!!!!!! Tyres for me are a personal thing, TOYO worked well on previous cars but not had a chance to try the Hankook tyres fitted to the zed now.....