Sales Calls/Texts

Jetpilot

I hear on the news today companies will be liable for big fines if they are nuisance with their sales texts/calls.

I am not sure on the ins and outs but a good thing if you ask me.

Not to long ago the same number would call me twice a day, probably 3 times a week, i had googled the number and it was some form of debt reduction company. Hopefully it will stop things like this.

I read this earlier. Yes, it'll be interesting to see what happens, especially on a day where I received yet another random number calling me and leaving no message.

This time it's from across the pond in Texas. I googled it and seems loads are getting calls from this number.

If I want something, I'll ring somebody for it, not the other way around, unless it's thats very nice man from Nigeria who is looking after £2,000,000 of my money and wants to give it back to me. :)

This time it's from across the pond in Texas.

That highlights part of the problem, many of these calls come from outside The U.K and in fact outside The E.U. Can't do anything about these I don't think.

Of course, one of these will stop them dead, best £50 I ever spent.

http://www.callblocker.co.uk/

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Despite what the news is actually reporting, the only real change to these guidelines is the number of complaints required for the governing body to act - previously it was multiple complaints, it now only requires one single complaint. The rest of the process, and thus the likelihood of a complaint being upheld, remains unchanged.

With regards to international calls, if the company is a UK registered company it's just as liable regardless of where the call originates. Otherwise, they can't do anything about it though.

It might scare some companies into laying off for a bit but it's only a matter of time before they find their way around the new regulations and resume as before, IMO.

Despite what the news is actually reporting, the only real change to these guidelines is the number of complaints required for the governing body to act - previously it was multiple complaints, it now only requires one single complaint. The rest of the process, and thus the likelihood of a complaint being upheld, remains unchanged.

With regards to international calls, if the company is a UK registered company it's just as liable regardless of where the call originates. Otherwise, they can't do anything about it though.

It might scare some companies into laying off for a bit but it's only a matter of time before they find their way around the new regulations and resume as before, IMO.

I thought whats changed is that before, you had to prove that the nuisance call has caused you severe distress and/or loss of earnings etc etc. Now, we can complain without having to prove all the above.

I thought whats changed is that before, you had to prove that the nuisance call has caused you severe distress and/or loss of earnings etc etc. Now, we can complain without having to prove all the above.

To an extent, but you're essentially correct. You never had to prove that in order to complain previously, just that without any proof they'd all but ignore you in reality. Supposedly they'll now investigate all complaints without proof, but that remains to be seen along with the effectiveness.

I genuinely hope it does make a big difference but I'm still very sceptical at this point (does it show? :lol: ).

• Like 1

To an extent, but you're essentially correct. You never had to prove that in order to complain previously, just that without any proof they'd all but ignore you in reality. Supposedly they'll now investigate all complaints without proof, but that remains to be seen along with the effectiveness.

I genuinely hope it does make a big difference but I'm still very sceptical at this point (does it show? :lol: ).

Yes, it shows :lol:

But, I think we're all sceptical.

• Like 1