differences - clarification and advice..

Pierscoe1

Hi all..

I've just been recommended over here from Pistonheads, as I'm considering a Z for my next car..

I'm thinking about an import as they seem like very good value, but have a few concerns over the differences, as seen in the 'sticky' on this forum :

UK models have/is:

= larger fuel tank -how much bigger? does this badly affect range?

= bigger radiator -it will get driven 'enthusiasticly', is this an issue?

= uprated suspension -what are the differences, what's 'uprated'

= enhanced cooling for LSD -see rad comment

= different (larger) air intake -presume this is of marginal importance?

= oil cooler -I'll be at the 'Ring twice a year.. will a jap car suffer without the cooler?

as you can gather, the car is going to get used as it was intended, doing a couple of trackdays a year, some continent bashing, and a 'Ring trip or two, and some of these differences make me wonder whether I should really go the extra mile for a UK car... any info/tips/suggestions/advice welcome!

thanks all.. any help much appreciated

Piers.

Hi all..

I've just been recommended over here from Pistonheads, as I'm considering a Z for my next car..

I'm thinking about an import as they seem like very good value, but have a few concerns over the differences, as seen in the 'sticky' on this forum :

UK models have/is:

= larger fuel tank -how much bigger? does this badly affect range?

= bigger radiator -it will get driven 'enthusiasticly', is this an issue?

= uprated suspension -what are the differences, what's 'uprated'

= enhanced cooling for LSD -see rad comment

= different (larger) air intake -presume this is of marginal importance?

= oil cooler -I'll be at the 'Ring twice a year.. will a jap car suffer without the cooler?

as you can gather, the car is going to get used as it was intended, doing a couple of trackdays a year, some continent bashing, and a 'Ring trip or two, and some of these differences make me wonder whether I should really go the extra mile for a UK car... any info/tips/suggestions/advice welcome!

thanks all.. any help much appreciated

Piers.

:welcome: mate

There were updates to the JDM spec list in Nov 04 (IIRC) which brought all cars made after this date in line with uk spec.

Cars made before this will have minor differences such as you mention but IMO these are very minor.

Pre 04 JDMs had 60 ltr tanks Vs 80 litre euro cars. But then certain jdm owners claimed to have put more than 60 litres in their jdms :headhurt:

Any of the other differences should be miniscule imo and non existent if you buy a late 04 car.

As with any import, you buy cheap and sell cheap. Depending on your budget I would get a uk car if you could. There is one for sale on here for a shade over £14k :thumbs:

Welcome,

Not sure if there are any members on here that use an import on the track. Some UK owners do though.

As Sarnie says, the spec was revised so if you're looking for a pre change model some JDM owners might be able to sort you out.

I honestly doubt the things listed would make too much of a difference to the car and if you are tracking it you would maybe be changing the suspension and that anyway.

yeah.. that's what I thought.

Not so worried about the suspension.. as you say, I might change that anyway.. slightly more concerned about the smaller rad, cooling for LSD, and particularly the lack of oil-cooler, although again, I guess that's not the hardest thing to retro-fit......

I guess it'll come down to budget and what cars are available at the time more than anything else...

thanks all...

Piers.

Ive just bought an 03/04 import and it apparently has some kind of sport pack or similar - its got a Momo steering wheel, Nismo dials, the Brembos and apparently some kind of uprated and stiffer suspension - it certainly feels a bit different from the UK models Ive driven.

Was there a factory option to upgrade the suspension?? I wasnt aware of the Momo wheel option or the Nismo dials from the factory, and if Im honest the LSD feels kinda different as well - its very quick to lock and extremely predictable (wonder how I found that one out ;)

While Im here as well, I need a frequency hoojamaflip for the stereo - know where I can get one and whats involved with poutting it on the haed unit?? :)

Cheers :thumbs:

Ive just bought an 03/04 import and it apparently has some kind of sport pack or similar - its got a Momo steering wheel, Nismo dials, the Brembos and apparently some kind of uprated and stiffer suspension - it certainly feels a bit different from the UK models Ive driven.

Was there a factory option to upgrade the suspension?? I wasnt aware of the Momo wheel option or the Nismo dials from the factory, and if Im honest the LSD feels kinda different as well - its very quick to lock and extremely predictable (wonder how I found that one out ;)

While Im here as well, I need a frequency hoojamaflip for the stereo - know where I can get one and whats involved with poutting it on the haed unit?? :)

Your correct, there was no suspension upgrade, momo steering wheel or nismo dials option available from the factory :)

Your correct, there was no suspension upgrade, momo steering wheel or nismo dials option available from the factory :)

no Sarnie your wrong :p

I have a JDM brochure that shows momo steering wheels and Nismo clock as an extra cost option, plus there are loads of other bits available that you dont see on the UK options list

I have a JDM brochure that shows momo steering wheels and Nismo clock as an extra cost option, plus there are loads of other bits available that you dont see on the UK options list

I don't believe you, your just a trouble maker :p

Ooooh :D

Anything on the suspension side of things, or LSD's?? Id be interested to know whats on it tbh so it takes longer for me to start throwing money at the bloody thing "upgrading" :wacko:;)

Ooooh :D

Anything on the suspension side of things, or LSD's?? Id be interested to know whats on it tbh so it takes longer for me to start throwing money at the bloody thing "upgrading" :wacko:;)

LSD.s are standard fit to all model JDM's, from memory I seem to recall that the JDM model.s had stiffer suspension than the UK cars up to a certain model year..I know my early JDM is quite firm on the damping and wouldnt want to swop it, it performed very well at a Silverstone track day :teeth:

• 2 weeks later...

Is the 'upgraded' suspesion a myth or fact? can someone clarify what it actually means (apologies my technicality in all these matters is low)....

My partner and I just got an ST model from Japan and has all important things just like the GT .. brembo breaks, 18" wheels, heated and leather seats... and the suspension feels REally strong! we were well impressed. Although it's a 2003 it has only done 8,000 miles... and smells like new... :teeth:

IIRC the suspension upgrade was done in late 2004 for JDM's eg 54 plates :)

Your getting clever Liam! I dont think i can stand all this technical know-how coming from you.

I ain't just a pretty face ;):teeth:

you ain't that either :teeth:

I'd be worried if you thought so ;):p

IIRC the suspension upgrade was done in late 2004 for JDM's eg 54 plates :)

Your getting clever Liam! I dont think i can stand all this technical know-how coming from you.

I ain't just a pretty face ;):teeth:

you ain't that either :teeth:

I'd be worried if you thought so ;):p

leave that to louis :teeth: