Japanese Import Satnav

galgazza

Dear All,

I seem to read so many threads about how its a) easy to change, B) costs a fortune, c) cat be done and don't know which answer is correct.

My 2004 import comes with the built in Japanese satnav and although it does not bother me to much really would like to know which of the above is true or where/how it can be done.

Look forward to hearing about solutions if available.

Have the same. Mine works when you pop the fuse in but I lose the sound to my head unit. I can take anyone anywhere for sushi in Tokyo no worries.

Did consider getting the UK version - an Xtrail 2005 will fit. They go around the £250 mark on fleabay but understand the map disc wont take a postcode. but to answer the questions

a. Fairly straightforward if you are confident with electrics.

b. Expensive and not as good as TomTom or Garmin satnavs

c. see above

Summary - spend the money on a decent satnav or consider putting a tablet in the cubby

Edited by Mudman
  • Like 1

There was a company that specialized in converting Jap SatNavs but the cost was staggering, their website has now vanished. The unit is hard wired in Japanese and needs to be reprogrammed and TBH it's just not worth the effort. There's also the fact that your 2004 will have a CD player and U.K CD discs are extremely rare and in case haven't been updated since 2005.

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Great to hear from you, and hopefully get some good local knowledge of traders / mechanics with 350Z experience

Have a look through my build thread ( link in signature below), and if you decide to go down the double din satnav etc route, then I don't mind helping out :)

• Like 1

If they are anything like the Skyline 350GT sat nav/audio system, its hard wired into the CANbus system and a real pain to do anything sensible to, unless you rip out everything and start again, and then you still need an interface to whats left for it to function properly.

Worried now, not looking forward to my Bose failing which I guess is inevitable

If they are anything like the Skyline 350GT sat nav/audio system, its hard wired into the CANbus system and a real pain to do anything sensible to, unless you rip out everything and start again, and then you still need an interface to whats left for it to function properly.

Its usually the tape player that fails, but If you have the TV tuner option fitted you can add another audio and video source.

• Like 1

Its usually the tape player that fails, but If you have the TV tuner option fitted you can add another audio and video source.

Sorry missed this, thanks that's reassuring as tape player is fine.

I do have the TV tuner but spend most of the time viewing a green leaf fuel economy screen.

I must learn some Japanese lol.

Shame the 2003 heater controls r all in one.