First Time Buyer.....is it enough?

HansFishZed

Hi all,

Pretty new to these cars and am looking for one at the moment, realistically I have set a budget of around £5000.... is this enough to get one in okay nick? I am pretty confident undertaking mechanical work and have a friend mechanic who takes on the big jobs...

I've noticed that the imports seem to be significantly cheaper. Is this because they are less desirable due to their spec? Would it be a mistake/losing out a lot by going for a cheaper import rather an a UK spec?

Very happy with my import, the only thing i specifically wanted was Brembos that come std on UK cars, but even then if the price is right you can pick up a set for £500 ish. I am not at all fussed about leather (although some jdms come with leather) and dont really miss cruise control as i spend little time cruising motorways.

Autos will be cheaper, you may need to stretch your budget a bit if you want a clean one though :)

This could open a large can of worms, but I will tell you my experience with a JDM import. They come in all different specs, ie: some have Brembo's some don't, and so it goes on. My car has been no trouble and never let me down.

( And imports are faster ) :teeth:

Lol and the facts of this are?

5K will get you a 100k miles UK GT Spec

I bought my 2004 Gt spec 2 years ago with 95k and I picked it up for £4500 and to date, the only major money I spent has been a compete service a year in and performance upgrades! Touch wood!lol So in my experience I would have faith in a clean high miler if that's what ur looking to spend. :)

I bought my 2004 Gt spec 2 years ago with 95k and I picked it up for £4500 and to date, the only major money I spent has been a compete service a year in and performance upgrades! Touch wood!lol So in my experience I would have faith in a clean high miler if that's what ur looking to spend. :)

I bought a 2004 UK GT with 106k miles 18 months ago for £5700. Nothing major's gone wrong but it's a 11 year old car: lots of little things have needed doing so be prepared for the same. Electric window motor (£185 new), boot release motor (£40 from a scrapyard), boot gas struts (£65 new), exhaust Y-pipe (£330 new), coil pack (£25 used), fluids and filters (£150ish), O2 sensors about to go (£130ish each new) ...you get the idea.

All doable at home bar the exhaust - lots of great guides on here :)

Don't let me put you off though - I'm still very happy with my Z, it's just the cost of ownership.

(I know I haven't answered your question about import vs UK spec - just making you aware of the add-ons whichever way you go)

Edited by thedon
  • Like 1

I'm sure you be able to something reasonable for £5k. Even though it's sensible I couldn't wait a year to get a car I wanted. I have to have them immediately and most sense goes out of the window. Lucky so far (in the main). I wouldn't worry too much about uk or import at that price....just get the best one you can condition and history wise.