Infiniti G37 (Q60) coupe or convertible

RafsZed

As mentioned I'm a big g35 fan. I mentioned to a few members on here I was seriously considering a g35 project. That's on hold for now tho. They look the part if done right

But I stand by what I said- it doesn't touch a g37

I had the very rare manual G37 convertible (2010 model). When I bought it, it was the only one in Switzerland :) Had a love/hate relationship with it, but I think the really useless dealer didn't help there....

I had a black one which was the first issue as the self-healing paint was so soft just rubbing your finger over it would leave a mark. It had the same problems 350/370s have. I had to get the clicky axle sorted, the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor and I had a strange rattle/vibration from the front end (never sorted). Oh yeah, there was the time the passenger door seal failed spectacularly with a massive bang doing 150+ mph. Scared the crap out of me and could easily have put me off the road! I did like the car, but when I look back, it seems like it was forever back at the dealers getting one niggle or another fixed.

I eventually got shut of it and got an FX50s which I'm absolutely loving. Only down side is the consumption. I was on a 5 hour blast down the Autobahn yesterday and managed to empty the tank (78 liters at the pump) after 190 miles. Best thing about it is leaving very surprised tailgating Audi/BMW drivers for dead :lol:

Oh, and if you're going to be using a G37 all year round, get used to walking if it snows. Even with winter tires it was terrible but I guess everyone here is used to that. :surrender:

• Like 1

Infiniti are not good at manuals, even some people who work there might tell you that lol There auto's and paddle cars though are usually quite good.

And we don't walk... we just plough on in and hope for the best :lol:

Edited by AMT

I was actually commenting on AMTs post saying that Infiniti don't make good manual gearboxes....so if Infiniti don't nor do Nissan!

Infiniti was Nissan originally in the US, in the same way that Acura was Honda and Lexus was Toyota, mainly due to at the time the US wouldn't accept Japanese imports well, but now there are both Nissan and Infiniti, just like the other brands, but they still share most parts.

Actually all Infiniti parts where manufactured by Nissan Japan and assembled in the US, its only recently that they have shifted engine and component production to the US, Europe and China as well, but everything Infiniti was designed from Japan, so the engines and gear boxes you see in the 350Z, 370Z and the G35 and G37 are the same.

When I had a test drive in an Infiniti a couple of years ago I really didn't like it :( The interior looked very cheap for a so called premium marque and I just wasn't impressed by the driving experience although it was a comfortable ride I guess. I sort of liked the idea of having something that not many people have even heard of but I was worried about the resale value. The salesman seemed pretty desperate too and was practically begging me to take the car for the weekend but I had to admit that I really wasn't interested. I still think that they look nice from the outside though.

Sometimes different is better lol How many times have you seen dull-ass 3 series coupes, A5's, TT's, Merc C-class coupes kickin about. I don't look at them and think ooh a nice car I think,....theres a 3 series and continue with my day lol When I had the G37 out, everyone had their eyes on it I must say. Its got the look. Yes the interiors maybe not up to german rivals but still pretty good stuff, I think their generally cheaper than the german rivals too for the most part so more for your money usually. I don't like 'usual' personally, even though there are plenty of Z's out there, its still a 'sight' to most people in the street. Resale value is pretty much up to the person, I never bother about it, I buy a car to drive its nuts off and enjoy but also somewhere to chill and cruise... not so fussed on what its worth at the end as long as its not 2p. Nearly new used cars make a lot of sense. :thumbs: .... but that's just my opinion lol

Perfect description from -ianphampton! ;-)

I've had my G37S coupe for almost a year now and love it.

Its deffo a fab lond distance grant tourer with a good seized boot and 4 seats. I needed a back seat for my littleun but I still wanted the Zed style fun and dependability.

Be warned the convertible boot is tiny when roof is down so consider that before you buy?

Some more info, they sell about 10-12 G37's a year and I have only seen 1 other on the road in 12 months, something I quite like.Nobody knows what they are and I always get asked about it at work, petrol stations etc!

You can get manuals but they are a special factory order, ok if you buy new £46K with all the spec!!! But doubt you will see one for sale second hand?

They are basically a 350z floorpan with 370z running gear, rear wheel steer etc etc (google it) or look at my thread last year about mine?

Interior fit and finish is superb and why Nissan cant do that level of quality in all their cars is beyond me?

I find them no more expensive than a zed to run, i do a lot of motorway miles in mine and it just soaks them up, more tech than you can shake a stick at but they will depreciate badly unless Infiniti start advertising soon!

Go for a test drive Infiniti are not pushy about sales which is probably their downfall!

I looked briefly at the Q50 hybrid as replacement car of the wife, the performance numbers of the hybrid are very good and priced well, but its very hard to tempt people away from the ubiquitous BMW/Audi/Merc. Despite how common they are, the 3 series and C class are very very good cars, with hard to beat running costs interms of company car tax/mpg/road tax, and very good discounts available.

We went for Lexus purely because the Lexus hybrid drivetrain suits my wifes needs more, and there was a decent discount off the list price. If it was a car to replace my 335i, than a Q50 hybrid would have been on the short list. Lexus are starting to understand how to play the marketing game by offering a IS version that has no road tax,just enough equipment to keep people happy, and cheap lease/finance deals. Even than Lexus sales figures are hardly noticeable compared to the German brands.

I hope Infiniti keeps going in the UK, but I think in the last 2 years I've seen 3 Infiniti's on the road, its good for uniqueness, but cannot see how that can be a sustainable buissness model :surrender:

The Q50 hybrid is the weirdest car I think I've ever driven. Couldn't drive it in a straight line at first because the previous driver had put the steering into super sensitive mode which meant the slightest movement to the wheel had the car fidgeting all over the place. Nearly put it into the back of the car in front of me at a set of lights because the braking is crazy weird. Since learnt this is caused by the energy recovery system. Just left you with no feel in the pedal.

And then it tried to throw me off the road...... Took it into a slightly damp tight right hand slip road I've driven loads of times before with not much speed and the back end broke out suddenly. Felt like something had dragged the back end around behind me. I put it down to the weight of the batteries :shrug:

Must admit though even after all that, once I'd changed the steering mode and driven it for a while I actually quite liked it. Plenty of power, nice interior with loads of gadgets to play with and I even liked being able to drive silently (well almost :) ) on the batteries which I never thought would happen! I think that was just the novelty aspect though because I soon had it back in 'Sport' mode. :lol:

Would I buy one? Don't think so. The handling issues were a bit too worrying.... Mind you, if they were to release the Eau Rouge version I'd have to think about it :teeth:

• Like 1

The Q50 hybrid is the weirdest car I think I've ever driven. Couldn't drive it in a straight line at first because the previous driver had put the steering into super sensitive mode which meant the slightest movement to the wheel had the car fidgeting all over the place. Nearly put it into the back of the car in front of me at a set of lights because the braking is crazy weird. Since learnt this is caused by the energy recovery system. Just left you with no feel in the pedal.

And then it tried to throw me off the road...... Took it into a slightly damp tight right hand slip road I've driven loads of times before with not much speed and the back end broke out suddenly. Felt like something had dragged the back end around behind me. I put it down to the weight of the batteries :shrug:

Must admit though even after all that, once I'd changed the steering mode and driven it for a while I actually quite liked it. Plenty of power, nice interior with loads of gadgets to play with and I even liked being able to drive silently (well almost :) ) on the batteries which I never thought would happen! I think that was just the novelty aspect though because I soon had it back in 'Sport' mode. :lol:

Would I buy one? Don't think so. The handling issues were a bit too worrying.... Mind you, if they were to release the Eau Rouge version I'd have to think about it :teeth:

I know what you mean about the steering!!! First 10 minutes of driving it home on the motorway! Sheesh scary pants! Fly by wire steering !! Nein Danke! It was super light , like RC model car light, which it might as well be! Changing the mode sorted that of course. I had no issues with the brakes , wonder if someone had been messing with settings on yours? Mine had all sorts of weird auto defaults, I know short of changing its body colour as you drive, its really modifiable! Sport mode and dare I say it Eco mode standard mode is just dull!

Anyway I just want the hybrid tech in the G37 or the FX !

Come on Infiniti get your skates on!