which one to buy

nigess

You're getting a huge saving on the car, so spend £200 on a check for it. If it's legit then you're laughing, if not then you've saved £6K.

I can sound pretty genuine when I want to flog some old crap, too. Btw, I've got some awesome magic beans here, would you like some?!

• Like 1

He's not had it long but he doesn't have time to drive it and he's got a dog!! He had it wrapped because the paintwork has been over buffed!!? You plan on keeping it, if it's a lemon you'll be itching to get rid of it and then you'll be having to tell all these stories to someone else. Even if the engineers report is ok Id walk away, too many doubts for me. Sorry

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

I would not touch this car with a barge pole, the highest risk I would take is a HPI clear car with full stamps but no receipts and RAC warranty and get money taken off.. My car was on for 12.500 got him down to 11,000 with no service receipts at 40.000k. I was even worried after the buzz wore off and your talking about a car that's been in a crash. Any serious enough problems can be hidden from plane site and you could be he next person trying to shift this car on. The fact that the car has been wrapped indicates someone putting the rug over a coffee stain.

I think there might be a touch of the pessimisms here.

It could actually be fine and a pretty good buy, but you do just need to check a few things. If the PPI comes out okay with no obvious defects, just get him to remove the wrap before you buy: That way, you can check everything under it too.

agreed, a cat D isn't so bad, i'm pretty sure keying three panels will write a car off in some cases. get damage report, find out exactly why its a Cat D, find out which garage did the repair work, before and after pics, and get someone to inspect the car before you buy.

Just be aware if its a cat D you'll be buying cheap and selling cheap, but if you don't ever plan on selling, you could be on to a good deal.

• Like 1

The car I buy is going to be with me for a long time. The Z is my ultimate car speed looks handling everything so i'm not concerned about resale values at all. A late low mileage car at this price is exactly what I want but I must say that all the comments, which I appreciate by the way, have put more than an element of doubt in my mind

That's good thing that you've got doubt in your mind, it'll help stop you make a mistake. None of us on here know if it's a good buy or not as all we have is that tiny advert to go on but that advert doesn't exactly make it look appealing, the only thing that is appealing is the price.

However now you have that doubt you can go in with your eyes open a bit more, if everything you want to know gets a satisfactory answer then you've potentially got a good buy. Previously I thought you had basically bought the car before you'd viewed it.

• Like 1

What EXACTLY is the wrap hiding though!!? Is it a bodge repair? Dan and Brillo are right if it's good but the wrap is hiding something, he's even said as much and If I can't see it then I don't beleive it but that's just me.

I see what you are saying about the wrap but would he have bought it if the body work was that bad, its not likely I would say so just perhaps he is telling the truth about everything and its the buy of the century. I've always been a glass half full kind of bloke :D and you are quite correct mouthwash in my mind the car was mine without even looking

agreed, a cat D isn't so bad, i'm pretty sure keying three panels will write a car off in some cases. get damage report, find out exactly why its a Cat D, find out which garage did the repair work, before and after pics, and get someone to inspect the car before you buy.

Bang on the money, if could be Cat D because both bumpers needed replacing after getting cracked, or it could have been bananaed round a tree - find out what the damage was, satisfy yourself it was repaired correctly and theres nothing to worry about.

Personally if I was buyign a wrapped car Id just ask them to remove it before I handed the money over so I could see what I was getting into

As for judging people ........ Im a businessman, Ive got loads of people on this forum and about 5 others who will tell you Im as straight up as they come, I can also get anything MoT'd and I know exactly how to hide most faults on a car, at least temporarily. Obviously I wouldnt, but you should never make assumptions because the guy selling "seems nice and honest".

If I was selling a car and I wasn't sure if they were going to buy it I would I think be very unhappy to take the wrap off. Personally I would prefer it if it was blue rather than white as it is with the wrap but even if it is ok underneath I think its unlikely he'll want to take it off just in case I don't want it

Well, you tell him you'll buy it on the condition that he removes the wrap. If he won't then he's hiding something and you wouldn't want it anyway.

Stop looking at this so romantically, or you're going to get burned. Go with your head not your heart on Cat D/C/B/A cars.

• Like 1

If I get it and it turns out bad you are more than welcome to mock away to you're hearts desire but I just have a feeling hope its not misplaced that its going to be good. Anyway I shall go see it Monday and i'll report back and hopefully it won't be a case of we told you so

i'll be honest, I think it looks like a good car... the shut lines around the bumpers and doors look good, the only areas that look slightly suspect to me are the shut lines on the bonnet and boot, but it could be nothing, and that's me looking for faults. as I say, find out exactly why its a cat d - the fact the airbags didn't go off is a good sign that it wasn't a big shunt (if indeed there even was a shunt).

all the best for Monday, hope it works out!

assuming all is well with the chassis, either the rear bumper or the boot wasn't put back on straight when it was wrapped.. could well just need adjusting. Or the chassis could be slightly warped... but hopefully its the former!

just find out what the actual damage was to the car, I suspect its misaligned from when it was wrapped. as I say, the shut lines between rear bumper and rear quarter panels look spot on, so it might just be the bootlid needs a bit of adjustment.

Ok thanks I just hope he has all the information as it was a previous owner that had the problem but you would have thought he would have checked it out before he bought it. I'm not in a hurry to buy I can put deposit down then pay the rest in 4-5 weeks but the opportunity to get an HR at this price is quite a rarity but if c**p I won't have it

Edited by nigess

but you would have thought he would have checked it out before he bought it.

Jesus man, youre a dodgy sellers dream, youre now comforting yourself with the thought that a guy youve never met must have checked out stuff you arent going to bother checking out yourself :lol:

If you cannot get pictures and documented evidence of why it was Cat D and what was done to fix it then dont waste your time, seriously, its cheap for a reason.

• Like 1