UK v US suppliers - you decide

bigphil

All this talk of buying from the states-infuriating.

Popcharges in stock at £95

Motordyne iso thermal plenum spacer in stock at £195

Nismo exhausts in stock from 22nd Oct price TBC but as competitive as USA with full no quible warranty.

Kinetix High flow cats in stock as of Nov 15th £280 again full warranty.

Nismo 19'' LMGT4 wheels in stock as of 29th Oct price TBC but as competitive as the USA.

No concerns over duty etc, price you are quoted is the price you pay, no shocks on the doorstep.

From the end of November we will be carrying huge stocks at the new premises and with your support we can probably beat any price from the states and give you next day delivery, will even have a range of tyres in stock so you can be rolling immediately.

Payment by credit or debit card can also be accepted.

In January you can even finance your project if you wish at a very competitive rate.

So guys support your local economy and on top of that get the back up you should have should something go wrong.

We spend hours of our time on the phone giving free advise only to find our counterparts over the pond steal the business with no effort made.

The more you support the UK traders the better the deal you will get. :thumbs:

Nice prices!

You need to get a website up and running....

This is something we have been working on for a while but getting the format right is the key.

We are expecting to launch a site early in the new year complete with video tutorials to help those that want to have a go at some DIY fitting.

Expect something totally different to the norm, you won't bother with the USA ever again, we are determined of that.

I'd happily support local businesses but not many people in the UK can match the US prices. If you can do that along with a decent easy to navigate website then i can't see why you wouldn't get alot more business. Had you had your site up before i sold my zed then you would have had some of my cash already. I always feel awkward asking questions to a company then not buying from them. Thats why I like to compare prices online and look what i'm getting before i take the plunge or even start to ask questions, which i currently cant do. I don't really know what you stock, apart from popchargers, PIAA wipers and some carbon engine bay stuff that you've posted on here. People find it easy to look in the aftermarket parts section or google for companies/parts to find waht they are looking for.

Even though i dont own a Zed anymore i'd be more than happy to scan your website and send some of my hard earned your way, i'm sure you'll have some generic items that i could use.

I'll keep an eye out for any progress...

I'd happily support local businesses but not many people in the UK can match the US prices. If you can do that along with a decent easy to navigate website then i can't see why you wouldn't get alot more business. Had you had your site up before i sold my zed then you would have had some of my cash already. I always feel awkward asking questions to a company then not buying from them. Thats why I like to compare prices online and look what i'm getting before i take the plunge or even start to ask questions, which i currently cant do. I don't really know what you stock, apart from popchargers, PIAA wipers and some carbon engine bay stuff that you've posted on here. People find it easy to look in the aftermarket parts section or google for companies/parts to find waht they are looking for.

Even though i dont own a Zed anymore i'd be more than happy to scan your website and send some of my hard earned your way, i'm sure you'll have some generic items that i could use.

Point taken.

The difficulty we have in what you have said is that it has always been our view that in order to ensure the best advise is given it takes time and energy to get to know the car and products which work and are value for money. In all honesty it is very easy to set up a website showing all manner of products but know nothing about them and that is where we try to be different.

We spend most of our time on forums such as this assisting owners to make an informed choice and there are quite a number of members on here who can vouch for the time we spend either on the phone or via PM and email explaining how and why things work, the benefits and downsides, that all costs money. Take away that facility and you are left with nothing other than guesswork rather than making an informed decision. In addition when the purchase has been made who then supports it with details and help when the fitting is not going as planned or the instructions don't make sence. Surely it is worth maybe a couple of pounds more to have that level of support, again many can vouch for how we support our products with one to one availability at all times.

I have lost count of the number of calls we receive asking questios about fitting often on products sourced elsewhere or needing english instructions because they have bought from an overseas supplier.

We are aware everyone wants the best possible price but the best price is not always the cheapest.

Can I be the first to say that on three occasions I went to buy from the States and found out Phil had beaten the price on all three occasions and saved me almost a £100 each time with quicker delivery. + he has been extremely helpful with advice and even takes time out to discuss ideas for your mod aspirations. His service is excellent and price as me and Ian found out is incredibly competative with the States, and Ill definatly be using Phil as my first point of call before going anywhere else, he really is that good :thumbs:

Perhaps the most important factor as well was the fact that he is willing to source anything any part for your car is not too impossible and you can almost guarentee that the price he quotes will be amongst the most competative around.

Buying from Adam has also many great benifits in some areas and I feel from experience that both these companies are at the top of my list when ordering :thumbs:

Wish you all the best with your buisness Phil and me and my brother will definatly be buying more mods of you within the near future :thumbs:

Point taken.

The difficulty we have in what you have said is that it has always been our view that in order to ensure the best advise is given it takes time and energy to get to know the car and products which work and are value for money. In all honesty it is very easy to set up a website showing all manner of products but know nothing about them and that is where we try to be different.

We spend most of our time on forums such as this assisting owners to make an informed choice and there are quite a number of members on here who can vouch for the time we spend either on the phone or via PM and email explaining how and why things work, the benefits and downsides, that all costs money. Take away that facility and you are left with nothing other than guesswork rather than making an informed decision. In addition when the purchase has been made who then supports it with details and help when the fitting is not going as planned or the instructions don't make sence. Surely it is worth maybe a couple of pounds more to have that level of support, again many can vouch for how we support our products with one to one availability at all times.

I have lost count of the number of calls we receive asking questios about fitting often on products sourced elsewhere or needing english instructions because they have bought from an overseas supplier.

We are aware everyone wants the best possible price but the best price is not always the cheapest.

Good point well made. I have had the same experience Phil refers to above, and it is very frustrating.

To back it up (hope you don't mind Phil), I have an issue in that the bolts that Phil provided with my strut brace didn't fit. Who knows why. Anyway, Phil has been sourcing other bolts, and rather than just sending the first ones out someone said would fit, he checked them on another car and found the thread pitch wasn't right. He is still searching and you get a real feeling that someone wants to be able to sell someone the right piece of equipment, and know about it.

Price wise, rather than cost, I would go with value for money as the measure. Whether it has been with Phil or The Sound Gallery or other 'local' businesses, the advice you get can often be invaluable. Sure, if you search on the web you might save yourself a few £££ up front, but unless you are happy to deal with any issues with an answer machine, you will lose out IMO.

I know Adam also provides a service to the forum, and that should be continued - a bit of competition is good.

Good luck with it Phil. You will indeed be getting orders from me very soon again..... :thumbs:

Just to reiterate what some of the others have said from my own experience - I never knew you stocked such an extensive array of stuff. As you dont have a website (or atleast one I know of), I havent ever really thought of you as a first point of call for bits other than when I see others getting them from you on here. But now I will :teeth: Lack of hassle of import means I can get away with getting more goodies delivered without the missus knowing.

Service I have always had from Phil has been first class and even that is an understatement. Got my first set of PIAA wipers from Phil and were delivered fast and in perfect condition. The second set unfortunately fell foul of the postie and were damaged slightly, but Phil had no delay in sending me out another wiper to replace it ASAP. He has also very recently managed to to get me DS2500 pads, front and rear discs from 3 different locations all to my work in under 3 days when even EBC were out of stock! I dont think I've had better customer service from anywhere before.

Keep up the good work mate, hope it all goes well and the new premesis are a hit. Where abouts in Sunderland/North East are you? My family comes from up that way and I still have an Aunty that lives on the coast at Roker, so will pop in next time I'm up there at xmas, maybe get myself some xmas pressies ;):teeth:

I agree completely.... from my experience with dealing with Phil.. he has been instrumental in guiding me as to what the Z can do and what I could do to the Z.....

He has helped me in drawing up a a plan with regards to the mods , pricing and different options depending on what my ideas for the mods were.

After all of the above time and energy spent on my plans...the first mod he suggested was the below..

'I feel that the first and best mod you must do to the Z is to go and get trained in driving the Z to the full potential.....':teeth:

And I still havent spent a penny with Phil ...yet...:scare:

Phil..you are my first point of call...and I am confident you will be extremely competitive in the pricing...I think you are a good businessman and wish you all the best..looking forward to that never seen before website...B)

cheers

bobby

Point taken.

I completely agree with you Phil, and i have seen it a few times where you have sent instructions for HKS SLD's etc.. and thats just on this forum so god knows how many people you have helped. I've also found your advise very helpful, unbiased and informative, which i guess is the reason i bought the PIAA wipers off you. The thing is, your finding alot of potential customers are going to the States, so that tells me you need to find a balance from what you've been doing between throwing up a website and giving people advice.

(The difficulty we have in what you have said is that it has always been our view that in order to ensure the best advise is given it takes time and energy to get to know the car and products which work and are value for money. In all honesty it is very easy to set up a website showing all manner of products but know nothing about them and that is where we try to be different.)

It seems that your sorting that out now, so maybe things will start to improve for you. At the end of the day it is a business, and i'm a big believer that websites can bring alot of revenue. Had i known at the time that you could supply HFC at that price then i would have bought them off you for sure, as they where something that i was looking at and had already researched. Which is again another reason why just listing items on a website can help. I'm not disputing how good af a company you are and what service you provide. That shows for itself with the comments you keep recieving.

I hope you don't take any of this the wrong way, i'm in full support of your direction and company. Its just 1 of the main reasons i think alot of customers go to the US. At least thats why i did on a few occasions.

Like i said, it seems your sorting some of these issues out now, with the new premises and website. So all the best to you, i'm looking forward to it.. :thumbs:

This post has turned into Phil v USA! :lol:

Seriously though, there is plenty of info to support the view that Phil adds value to what he is selling with his experience and general approach, however, my experience of other high profile UK suppliers was far less positive - high prices, poor service and a surprising lack of knowledge. :dry:

Having lived in the US I understand both sides of this argument. With the exchange rate being what it is, buying from the US is very attractive. I shall be going at the beginning of December to make a few parge purchases myself (nothing to do with cars though).

Coupled with US sellers being happy to 'manipulate' customs forms to negate customs charges for the buyer, the proposition becomes even more attractive.

However, buyers may not fully appreciate that this customs manipulation leaves them wide open for a massive :scare: should the goods be lost / damaged / etc - they would not get the 'real' value reimbursed.... A concern that many are either unconcerned or unaware of.

Your issues with being raped for advice and the buyer going elsewhere is unfortunately gonna be a fact of life now the internet is so accessible. You have to appeal to a buyer's better nature and hope they're respectful of the service you give. You might want to make the pitfalls of buying from US better known to your (potential) customers (without making it sound like sour grapes or bad-mouthing our American 'cousins').....

Good luck though.

Disclaimer: I didn't buy the wipers from you b'cos my mechanic had some cheapo wipers on his vehicle and they cost me nothing. And the replacements will cost me nothing. That can't be beat :blush:

Disclaimer: I didn't buy the wipers from you b'cos my mechanic had some cheapo wipers on his vehicle and they cost me nothing. And the replacements will cost me nothing. That can't be beat :blush:

You can when you get silent operation and perfect clean wipes from the PIAAs and they dont judder or squeal or streak like the cheap ones. You'll get PIAAs when that happens. My misses even bought a pair and thought they were excellebt value for the price :p:lol:

Thanks guys for all the constructive comments, this is exactly what we as a business needs. We strive to be competitive, different, helpfull and above all a good listener because at the end of the day our success can only be achieved by delivering what you the customer is looking for.

Once the new premises are fully open we are planning to have an open day to which you will all be invited (free lunch included) and hopefully some of you will relieve the heavy burden on our shelving :lol:

Chris it would be good to see you if you are up this way over Xmas, Roker is only five minutes away from us and the Bungalow Cafe on the sea front is our regular breakfast haunt, in fact my business partner lives on Roker Seafront opposite the old lighthouse.

Cheers guys, have a good weekend and carry on the support of the lads in France for the rugby and of course Lewis in Brazil on Sunday :thumbs:

Could be a very expensive free lunch ;) . Look forward to it Phil. When do you expect to have the new place up and running? Need something to take away the winter blues.

Not as expensive as my petrol bill if I make the 600 mile round trip to come to it! :scare::p