DO NOT use Shell in Crickhowell.

Chris Wiltshire

Good point, but surely 12 litres of contaminated fuel would make a difference especially if the existing amount of original fuel is small.

If that's the case we could throw in 70 litres of petrol and 10litres of water to save money as there wouldnt be a difference. That's on a UK 80l tank.

Liquids will mix quickly in my eyes especially on the roads in Brecon.

still cant see it

You should go to Specsavers.... :lol: :lol:

There was a garage near me a few years back that hadn't cleaned their tanks properly and petrol got contaminated with "diesel residue" (I'm thinking completely wrong fuel!) and quite a few cars had loads of damage done. They stopped selling fuel within hours because of the number of people braking down within sight of the forecourt and the garage was shut within days because of it. It never re-opened to sell fuel and they now just sell cars from the place.

If they were selling duff fuel it would be big news by now.

Good point, but surely 12 litres of contaminated fuel would make a difference especially if the existing amount of original fuel is small.

If that's the case we could throw in 70 litres of petrol and 10litres of water to save money as there wouldnt be a difference. That's on a UK 80l tank.

Liquids will mix quickly in my eyes especially on the roads in Brecon.

Assuming what you put in at Shell was of similar density to the fuel already in the tank, then yes it would mix (probably before you've even moved actually) meaning that you've mixed whatever the two liquids are 2:1. As Ekona alluded to, if whatever you've put in at Shell is anything remotely resembling petrol, even lower octane stuff, it's unlikely to have such a dramatic effect so instantly - it'd probably be enough to cause det and the associated damage of running low octane fuel in the long term of course, but not to cause these symptoms.

For that almost instant result, you'd have to have added something completely different to petrol at Shell. If the new liquid was of a different density it could separate in the tank meaning that whatever was added at Shell is all that is being fed through to the engine... which wouldn't be resolved by adding more petrol to the tank at Tesco as the liquids would still separate. So that brings us back to Ekona's & Lexx's questions.

• Like 1

The MAF could have got wet, probably unlikely if your running a standard air box though unless you had been through some serious water or driving right up the chuff of someone throwing lots of spray.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Yeah standard airbox.

Confused on this one now, Don't like Betty when she's angry!

Well let's be honest, we may never know, and as has been suggested it could be any number of things, if it hasn't done it since and it doesn't do it again stop worrying. Have you done any work on the engine recently?
  • Like 1