What fuel previous owner used??

Mattle40

A compression test would give some indication. Inspecting the pistons would show visual damage but your getting into stripping the engine.

Could this not be done with a boroscope if you take the plugs out. I know there is a company in Knutsford that offer this service on 911s that are prone to bore scoring?

Aye come to think of it that'd be an idea.

To be honest bud I just wouldn't worry......bottom line if this guy totally convinces you of his usage of the right motion lotion but hasn't owned the car for some considerable time you're never really going to have any certainty

Mattle40, I'm sure you'll find a good Zed, as grundy's indicated though, you may need to have a little patience.

Fundamentally the 350Z is solid, with a few niggles, like every car. I think all the guys who've fed back on this thread just want to make sure you don't get stuck with a lemon.

Must say I prefer the positivity this mornin guys ðŸ˜

I'm dead set on a zed now and some probably think I'm stupid buying so "cheap" but I can't warrant more. The consumables and maintenance doesn't bother me. I hope I find a good one and my hopes have taken a bit of a bashing here. I just want a healthy engine and wanted tips on spotting any signs of abuse, (other than the obvious) but thanks for all the input it's appreciated.

On the fuel issue its particularly difficult. My experience a good few years ago may (or may not) be helpful.

Spent a good month or two seeking advice on here, kept my eyes open for a Zed I wanted. Found my Zed in 2009, no real history, 60K miles, etc. however it looked very tidy and had some tasteful / subtle mods.

5 1/2 years and 127,000 miles and I've had no major issues whatsoever. The odd electrical gremlin (think its a wiring issue). One new battery, which I've just changed. Several exhaust, plenum, engine and wheel tweaks and she's still going strong.

What fuel did the previous owner use? No idea, but I know I've used 98 / 99 ron since I bought her.

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

To keep it in perspective, how many Zeds were sold in the UK and how many engines have failed because of the wrong fuel being put in? Yeah, we see the occasional thread about engine failure but there are 100s (1000s..?) of members on here with cars that are just fine.

I think everyone is just trying to keep you level headed about the risk you're going to take.

I just want a healthy one and wanted tips on spotting any signs of abuse, (other than the obvious) but thanks for all the input it's appreciated.

It's a bit like asking your girlfriend / wife about her life before she met you.

You'll never really know for sure.

Good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll find something.

I had my car up for £5,500 not too long ago. Much lower miles (70k) and in mint nick with new clutch/fly and good tyres all round. I've ran it on nothing but super unleaded for the length of time I've owned it. The car can also be vouched for by people on this forum.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/91426-04-uk-350z-for-sale-5500/

I got very little interest and decided to keep it but this gives you an idea of how much better you can do if you up your budget a little.

• Like 1

I just want a healthy one and wanted tips on spotting any signs of abuse, (other than the obvious) but thanks for all the input it's appreciated.

It's a bit like asking your girlfriend / wife about her life before she met you.

You'll never really know for sure.

I HATE those conversations :lol:

To keep it in perspective, how many Zeds were sold in the UK and how many engines have failed because of the wrong fuel being put in? Yeah, we see the occasional thread about engine failure but there are 100s (1000s..?) of members on here with cars that are just fine.

I think everyone is just trying to keep you level headed about the risk you're going to take.

This is very true. We are essentially all living in the nerve centre of 'zed land' someone has a problem or the engine shats out a piston through the block they end up here.

We ultimately are subjected to the worst side of the zed.

Put it this way I've seen several 'indestructible' derv Audi's slamming a rod through the block since I got into the trade. Only seen one zed and that was highly likely to have been run on low octane for a prolonged period of time.

5k's an ok budget, i paid 5k for mine.. sounds great right... black on black, GT model..

clutch went on the way home (£600)

All 4 brakes needed doing pads and discs (£400)

4 tyres all the way round (£200 part worns)

and it had 118k on the clock, now 126k lol.

Do yeah look out for things on whatever you buy.

Just got off the phone to abbey Motorsport who put me at ease a little. They said there's likely very little to worry about unless it's been tracked/thrashed on regular fuel. All the damage is done above 5000rpm. The guy I'm currently talking to is selling because he can't afford the running costs anymore, I'd imagine (hope) he tries to eek the miles out, and drives conservatively. But like you've all said, il really never know until iv lived with one for a bit

I remember when Nissan Birmingham gave me a brand new demo 370z Roadster to use for a week. I picked it up, filled it up with super unleaded and drove it home. Then, when I was looking around the car, I found a whole bunch of fuel receipts in glove box where they had been using it for customer demos etc, and every single one of them was for normal cheapie unleaded. doh!

No offence fella but if you're in a position to afford clutch changes, tyres etc as as and when they come up you would be much better paying the extra £500-1000 now and getting a lower millage example. It's more than likely it will end up costing you more in the long run buying a cheap one.

Not trying to be negative and I realize I'm echoing what other people have said but it's worth listening to us. I've seen it happen more than once on this forum where people have bought cheap and ended up having to spend a small fortune putting it right.

Edited by nowhereboy

None taken pal, I'm willing to stretch a little for the right one but I just think, it's all well and good upping the initial outlay for a better car but there's nothing to say the more expensive car won't need a new clutch in a few months. I'm looking at 2 at the min. 1 advertised at £4800 the other £6100 and other than a little less mileage on the more expensive one, they're identical. Both 54 plate 100k ish miles, full history. 2 previous owners.

Iv just been turned off them a little by this whole fuel problem but unless I were to buy nearly new to really improve the odds, I'm at the mercy of luck alone.

Pfft, I'd just buy the cheapest and keep a slush fund just in case. It's only what you should do with any car, the 350 is no exception.

I really wouldn't worry about the whole fuel thing. There is nothing you can do about it, so just get a car that okay everywhere else.

• Like 1

Pfft, I'd just buy the cheapest and keep a slush fund just in case. It's only what you should do with any car, the 350 is no exception.

I really wouldn't worry about the whole fuel thing. There is nothing you can do about it, so just get a car that okay everywhere else.

Well that's always been my approach before to be honest, I'm not fortunate enough to be able to afford a new or nearly new car. Iv been lucky so far, having never bought a car newer than 6 years old Iv not had a single problem and this will be my 6th car.

I was starting to think I was being ignorant thinking I could find a good runner for 5k

Its all a bit of a catch 22 really I find. You can fork out more money and get what you think might be a better car, but you have no telling what will end up going wrong with it. Its all pot luck really.

Very often I tend to go for a cheaper vehicle, knowing it needs work. After doing the work at least I know its all been done properly and the overall price is probably about the same as if id bought a "decent" one.

The last vehicle I bought was my Ducati 996. I could have gone and bought one with everything done for about £6k or one needing work for £4k. I went for the one needing work. I then immediately dropped £1500 on it giving it a full major service plus upgrading all of the brake callipers, pads, lines, fitting new chain/sprockets etc. etc. Then 200 mile later the clutch went. That was a bit annoying as the seller had told me the clutch had been done. But even so, after I fitted the new clutch the total overall price still came to less than £6000 and now I know everything has been done on it.

• Like 1