Problem with drains - who to call?

twobears

Thanks everyone :teeth:

Have decided not to use canes now Andy :surrender: Will ring farmer's brother tomorrow and see if he has any rods that I can use before getting myself to Screwfix. When in Yorkshire I do like to adapt to their parsimonious ways :lol:

Definitely not frozen drains WW. If they were frozen they might not smell as much!

I think there are traps under both the smelly drains but I may have to dig down a bit to see :dry:

• Like 1

When in Yorkshire I do like to adapt to their parsimonious ways :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

parsimonious

ËŒpÉ‘Ësɪˈməʊnɪəs/

adjective

adjective: parsimonious

very unwilling to spend money or use resources.

"even the parsimonious Joe paid for drinks all round" synonyms: mean, miserly, niggardly, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheese-paring, ungenerous, penurious, illiberal, close, grasping, Scrooge-like, stinting, sparing, frugal;

• Like 2

"Definitely no waste matter in the 'rainwater drains' just mud which smells horrid but is not sewage"

Makes me even more suspicious that the pipework you had done 4 years ago is unsound.......or in heavy rainfall mud etc is getting 'flooded' into the gullys.

"Definitely no waste matter in the 'rainwater drains' just mud which smells horrid but is not sewage"

Makes me even more suspicious that the pipework you had done 4 years ago is unsound.......or in heavy rainfall mud etc is getting 'flooded' into the gullys.

I think that the problem is much worse when it's been raining so that could possibly be the answer? I watched them doing the work and it all seemed sound. The pipes are big bore things and the joints looked fine and all laid on sand with gravel underneath if I am remembering correctly? They took lots of readings with a laser thingy all along the channel and it seemed very professional, even though it was a tiny job for them compared to their normal line of work. I will be very annoyed if it is faulty workmanship because it cost me a serious amount of money as they had to dig out a heck of a lot of hedging and some small trees and I also opted for several tons of top soil to be brought to the site to make it level because the drains were laid in an existing depression that had become choked with vegetation.

I want to get on with trying to fix it now so I hope the weather is good on Sunday because my daughter is dragging me to Harrogate tomorrow. Why is Mr Two Bears in Spain when I need him? :dry:

If you use rods that screw together then make sure you only rotate them clockwise otherwise you can undo them and get them stuck in the drain.

Decent ones screw together and have lock nuts that do up with a spanner to stop them coming apart. These will cost a lot more than screwfix though.

• Like 1

If you use rods that screw together then make sure you only rotate them clockwise otherwise you can undo them and get them stuck in the drain.

Decent ones screw together and have lock nuts that do up with a spanner to stop them coming apart. These will cost a lot more than screwfix though.

Just put some gaffer tape on each joint as you screw them together :thumbs: