Japan trip - Honeymoon

neo-ninja

Hi Guys,

There are always seems to be a fair few thread on here with people going to Japan but my search hasnt turned up anything that recent.

I am planning to go Early April towards the very back end of Cherry Blossom, hopefully it lasts for the first few days we are there in tokyo.

I will plan to do alot of the more typical Japanese honeymoon/tourist things, temples, Shrines etc.. But I also want to do some of the more whacky things like Robot resturant, Owl Cafe, DisneySea etc...

Does anyone have any recommendations, I think we will try to do 4 or 5 days in Tokyo then a few in Kyoto and maybe a few in some other places. but it would be great to get any recomendations from people who have been. Also i remember reading a thread a while back saying its a must to go to a car meet, and they were all super friendly etc.. Anyone have any experience of this and where actually and when do they take place?

Anyway any help at all would be great!!

• Like 3

spa world osaka is different. whether you're into it or not. not the sort of place you would go with your mates from home but when you're away - do as they do!

or you can do the natural traditional springs.

Osaka is a bit easier for location to Kobe, Kyoto day trips also getting to mt fuji.

Takayama old town.

weird thing is. i've never seen any sports and modified cars and bikes in the 3x i've been.

I'd also be interested to know about the car/bike opportunities situation. going there next month.

Good to see people doing Japan as a tourist destination - often people stop in Thailand and then skip on to Oz but Japan is amazing. I will dig out some of my posts on threads later tonight, I was living there about 8 years ago now and like above do not remember seeing modified cars drifting down mountain sides...maybe I was in the wrong bit :lol:

• Like 1

Good to see people doing Japan as a tourist destination - often people stop in Thailand and then skip on to Oz but Japan is amazing. I will dig out some of my posts on threads later tonight, I was living there about 8 years ago now and like above do not remember seeing modified cars drifting down mountain sides...maybe I was in the wrong bit :lol:

that would be awesome thank you. I am going to update this thread with a rough itinerary we were looking at.

that would be awesome thank you. I am going to update this thread with a rough itinerary we were looking at.

Found this thread http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/89929-look-out-japan-here-we-come/

Worth a read.

But the itinerary would be useful - if you already have some ideas about what you like doing. I could recommend climbing Fuji over the weekend and skiing in Nagano but if exercise isn't your thing..!

• Like 1

So far I am working on something like this, I have read a few guides and seen a few rough plans and these places I have names seem most interesting, what I am trying to descide on is where else we should go to outside Tokyo and Kyoto, we don't want to waste time travelling for hours by train so ideally it would be nice to mix it up doing a couple of smaller journeys. So any recommendations on the ordering of things would be good, I am planning to fly in and out of Tokyo so need to start and end there,two days at Disney parks is a must too as the wife wants to stay in Disney hotel in-between.

06/04 Day 1 - Tokyo -Land Early Morning Haneda airport. Find Hotel probably visit Shinjuku, explore the city, visit Asakusa (Old temple and buildings, giant gundam)

07/04 Day2 - Tokyo - Spend day with Trial Finders Guide showing us various places to visit etc.. visit sumo house and see king of the hill tournament

08/04 Day3 - Tokyo - Meji Shrine, Takeshita Dora (Boutique Shops),Omotesando (high end shopping), Shibuya (manga, anime toyshops, Tokyu hands), Hachiko Statue, Shinjiku (Metropolitan Gov building - free skyscraper), go try Pachinko (ball game) , Evening at Robot Bar

09/04 Day4 -

10/04 Day5 -

11/04 Day6 -

12/04 Day7 -

13/04 Day8 -

14/04 Day9 - Kyoto - Arrive midday, explore the city , Ginkakuji (temples, and gardens), travel philophsers path, Nanzenji temple, Heian Shrine, Kodajii temple and gardens, Higashiyama (Shopping) Gion (Geisha and traditional buildings),

15/04 Day10 - Kyoto - Visit Arashiyama and see the monkeys, Tenryuji temple, Bamboo Groves, Jojakkoji temple, Gioji shrine, Otagi Nenbutsuji (amazing grounds with hundreds of statues), Daikakuji Temple

16/04 Day11 - Kyoto - Visit Fushimi Inari Shrine(Amazing shrine of 1000 gates) then Travel back to Tokyo train ride 2hours 20 mins, Go back into town and visit Owl Cafe, Stationary STore, Oedo Onsen Monogatari (Hot spring baths)

17/04 Day12 -Tokyo - Disney Land, Stay in Disney Land hotel

18/04 Day13 - Tokyo -Disney Sea, Stay in Tokyo

19/04 Day14 - Tokyo - Last day in Tokyo, take in the sights, do stuff we missed, have final meals

20/04 Day15 - Fly Home Early morning

Edited by neo-ninja

Disney Sea is streets ahead of Disney Land, better rides and the evening entertainment where the dragon comes out of the water, well thats incredible.

If you have spare time, you can always walk up and down Fuji over two days - watch the sunrise at dawn from the top. Not sure if you can do it in late April though, can't remember if thats out of season.

Outside of Tokyo...Nara is a great place to visit for the heritage - both Hiroshima and Nagasaki are worth visiting for the A Bomb site memorials, very emotional.

I lived in Yotsuya, about 10 minutes walk from Chiyoda I think its called where the Imperial Palace is, an easy trip to see as it very central.

In terms of Pachinko, worth going to Akasaka near Yotsuya, loads of places there along with little alleyways and cool restaurants.

Oh and try go to Odaiba in the evening, you can get the tram over the Rainbow bridge and they have a cool shopping complex there, onsen, various electronic manufacturers buildings (more interesting than you would think!).

Have any of your guys who have been to japan used the jr pass at all??

You can get a tourist pass for the travel, you usually buy it at the airport using your passport as proof of being foreign and it gives you cheap travel. Havent done it for a long time so maybe Will might know more!

Have any of your guys who have been to japan used the jr pass at all??

You can get a tourist pass for the travel, you usually buy it at the airport using your passport as proof of being foreign and it gives you cheap travel. Havent done it for a long time so maybe Will might know more!

Yes I see you can purchase online here and then swap your payment receipt for the pass. I'm going for 24 nights and doing Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima and then back to toyko for last 4 nights before flying back. So was probably looking at getting jr pass so I can get out and explore different areas and near by cities....

• Like 1

We're heading to Japan in April, I think we get there 2 days before you guys leave. Col and Will have provided some great advice as have others (choptop etc).

We get in on the 17th in the morning, so we're heading in straight in to Tokyo and dropping bags at the hotel. That first day is going to be a find out about the local area day I think. We'll just mooch around Shinjuku for a couple of hours, go to the Shinjuku Gyoen and chill for a bit, head to the Metropolitan building and perhaps a few cheeky beers in the Golden Gai and some food.

We're in Tokyo for 5 days before we head down to Kyoto. We're there for 5 days I think before heading back to Tokyo for 4 / 5 days. So about the same length of stay as you guys. We've decided to get guides in both Tokyo and Kyoto, not what we'd normally do. When you're traveling such a long way and to such a different culture it just seems to make sense to have local knowledge to make the most of it. Think we'll be visiting the same kind of stuff as you guys. Wondering if I can get tickets to the Studio Ghibli organised (I want to ride the Cat Bus!).

We're also toying with the idea of leaving Tokyo a day early and staying somewhere between there and Kyoto, to have another different experience. Also looking at options to get to Nikko / Tochigi, Nara and Himeji too, if we can. Going to get our JR Passes sorted soon, think we'll only need the 7 day pass. Also looking at hiring a phone and mobile wifi for when we're out there too.

Just noticed, I'm eating udon noodles while posting this :lol:

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

Also looking at options to get to Nikko / Tochigi, Nara and Himeji too,

You can get a coach tour from Kyoto to Nara also take in the Golden Temple.

You can get a tour to Nikko and Mt Fuji as well all one day excursions with English Guides

Take the Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto, great fun.

Also recommend Saga World in Tokyo, good day out.

Hit a few of the Brewery trips as well.

• Like 1

You can get a tour to Nikko and Mt Fuji as well all one day excursions with English Guides

where can most the guided trips be booked?? I might do a couple while over there

where can most the guided trips be booked?? I might do a couple while over there

I've found a couple of sites for 'Free Guides', effectively you pay for their entry in to things, pay for transport costs, pay for lunch / dinner etc. They're run like a volunteer service, for Japanese nationals who enjoy sharing their culture with travelers, enjoy meeting people from other cultures etc. As a legal requirement in Japan, all these guides are licensed as well.

http://www.tokyofreeguide.com/

The above seems to be a pretty good one, lots of guides, lots of feedback etc.

• Like 2

I've found a couple of sites for 'Free Guides', effectively you pay for their entry in to things, pay for transport costs, pay for lunch / dinner etc. They're run like a volunteer service, for Japanese nationals who enjoy sharing their culture with travelers, enjoy meeting people from other cultures etc. As a legal requirement in Japan, all these guides are licensed as well.

http://www.tokyofreeguide.com/

The above seems to be a pretty good one, lots of guides, lots of feedback etc.

Thanks for the site... I'll have a proper look once I get home