Modern Day Hot Rodding

StevoD

in the first vid, how many times does he mention that it's a "240 sx, that it's light weight, durable and rear wheel drive"?A LOT!! the usual audience must have terrible memories. Interesting vids none the less :)

i just took a selfie for you

goldfish_face.jpg

• Like 1

Not hot rods !

hot rod

verb

gerund or present participle: hot-rodding

•  

modify (a vehicle or other device) to make it faster or more powerful.

"I was told the program did an even better job of hot-rodding hardware"

•  

drive a hot rod.

"as a teenager he preferred a steady wage and time to go out hot-rodding"

Edited by StevoD

Bit of a contradiction in terms really, although in the states the term "hot rodding" something refers to making it faster and maybe chopping about, you just cant really apply it to a modern car, as it just doesn't work....a hot rod has to be a pre 40s car that had the bodywork and engine drastically altered in an attempt to make it faster, the styling bit came a little after as a offshoot,

The same applies to the term chopper when it comes to bikes, it has become synonymous with bikes with long forks and no suspension, but the origin was just the same, IE the old lardy Harley's where striped down in an effort to loose weight, and the engines tuned, giving rise to the term "chopped hog".

• Like 2

Bit of a contradiction in terms really, although in the states the term "hot rodding" something refers to making it faster and maybe chopping about, you just cant really apply it to a modern car, as it just doesn't work....a hot rod has to be a pre 40s car that had the bodywork and engine drastically altered in an attempt to make it faster, the styling bit came a little after as a offshoot,

The same applies to the term chopper when it comes to bikes, it has become synonymous with bikes with long forks and no suspension, but the origin was just the same, IE the old lardy Harley's where striped down in an effort to loose weight, and the engines tuned, giving rise to the term "chopped hog".

you better tell the decades old Hot Rod magazine there doing it wrong as their featuring cars from the 50's 60's 70's and as time goes on the 80s will creep in and then the 90s

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/

In the 1950s hot rodders would Build 10-20 year old cars to go fast by fitting superchargers and larger engines, what are people doing now? people are taking 10-20 year old cars and fitting larger engines and super chargers

In the 1950s hot rodders would paint the cars with flames and pin stripping etc to get attention, What are people doing now? people are putting cars low to floor and wide wheels with stretch tyres to get attention.

In the 1950s hot rodders would take there cars to the street and race, What are people doings now ? People are taking cars out and drifting the street

In the 1950s hot rodders would take there cars and meet up a drive in movies, What are people doing now ? People are taking there cars out and meeting in car parks.

The Rules haven't changed just the machinery, Modern day hot Rodding, the same will happen in the future new words will come out to define the current subculture of the time but the essence is its will still be hot rodding taaking cars and making them faster and shout look at me from the paint and exhausts

IM not calling the nissan a hot rod in the sense of tuned up american classic im calling the movement of whats happening in the current era modern day hot rodding as the same rules apply

Looking at the below video although mustang the same formula from the earliest to the lastest rtr

Edited by StevoD

Sorry but to me and any real hot rodder anything after the 40s would be classed as a classic, led sled or muscle car, regardless whether its was given a supercharged engine and received pin stripes or a flame job, a real hot rod will always be something like a model T or a 32 Ford chopped, channeled and fitted with a tuned flathead or OTT supercharged lump.

I was brought up on Hot Rod magazine and built all the American hot rod kits when I was a kid, so you will never convince me otherwise no matter what Internet definitions and arguments you dig up. ;)

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

LOL! Hot Rod magazine use to feature the drag racing scene heavily when I used to read it...but that doesn't make them hot rods ;)

Not quite sure just why your trying to define the term "Hot Rod" and then then try and apply it to todays cars,

you started off with some pics of some 200/180SXSilvia'ss and somehow try and apply the term Hot Rod to the whole thing,

and then go on to say if you think a Hot Rod is a car that looks like the 32 Ford in the pic your wrong... apart from that statement being sacrilege to any real Hot Rodder, its just wrong and like I said it doesn't really work, even the Japanese realise this and use Pre 40s American cars when they build a hot rod.

LOL! Hot Rod magazine use to feature the drag racing scene heavily when I used to read it...but that doesn't make them hot rods ;)

Not quite sure just why your trying to define the term "Hot Rod" and then then try and apply it to todays cars,

you started off with some pics of some 200/180SXSilvia'ss and somehow try and apply the term Hot Rod to the whole thing,

and then go on to say if you think a Hot Rod is a car that looks like the 32 Ford in the pic your wrong... apart from that statement being sacrilege to any real Hot Rodder, its just wrong and like I said it doesn't really work, even the Japanese realise this and use Pre 40s American cars when they build a hot rod.

words of the man who didnt watch any of the 'pictures' (youtube videos for everyone else) and didnt read any of the articles

for another time I DID NOT CALL THAT 240 A HOT ROD, I CALLED THE PROCESS OF WHAT WAS BEING DONE TO IT MODERN HOT RODDING USING THE SAME PROCESS THAT GUYS IN THE 1950s DID

Edited by StevoD

And Im sorry, but the car in the video is an engine swapped S13, the same as has been done a million times in Japan, Europe and the USA. You can compare what we are doing now to the 1950's as much as you want, but that doesnt make everything a ht rod, it just means that we are still modifying cars to make them go faster.

Ive always understood a Hot Rod to be a light, cheap car modified in an original way at home to go as fast as it could in a straight line by adding power and removing weight, the cars were them generally drag raced against other homebrew specials.

Seeing as few bother removing weight, most concentrate on handling and braking, generally pay someone else to do the work and then tend to use their cars on non competitive trackdays I dont really see the parallel between what we are doing now and what the original Rodders were up to.

Oh, and just as an aside, do a Google Search for Hot Rods ........... the result seems pretty conclusive to me.

• Like 1