help time for an oil change and i think im going to fit an oil cooler

nissanman312

Right guys ive decided my 370 is going to start getting oil every 4500 as i like to drive it how it should be driven so want to keep it the best i can!

so first question is whats the best top notch oil for her?

also ive been noticing it gets a little warm when pushed and im doing a week in europe this summer and will be doing some on track driver training so wanted to fit an oil cooler

so question 2 is whats the best oil cooler for her for fitment and build quality can someone point me i the right direction

thanks in advance guys

Edited by nissanman312

if it was me i would be looking at something along the lines of this with the thermostatic sandwich plate.

http://www.mishimoto...cooler-kit.html

Yep plus 1. ;)

Great quality items.

The other option to consider is the Stillen 19 row oil cooler with thermostatic oil sandwich plate from Tarmac Sportz who also do the Mishimoto one. :thumbs:

Mishimoto or Stillen, it's essential to fit a thermostatic sandwich plate if the car is going to be driven normally as it will never get up to temp otherwise. Some sandwich plates have a hole to fit an oil temp sender too so you can fit a dedicated gauge to monitor it better.

Edited by Jp606
  • Like 1

Thermostatic take off is a must, but even with a low temp one you may find that you need to cover the cooler in winter, bare in mind that too cool is just as bad as too hot.

yeah i have been told this good piont

if its thermostatic tho then will it not leave the engine until to warm ?

what is the optimum safe temps for the oil

Thermostatic take off is a must, but even with a low temp one you may find that you need to cover the cooler in winter, bare in mind that too cool is just as bad as too hot.

yeah i have been told this good piont

if its thermostatic tho then will it not leave the engine until to warm ?

what is the optimum safe temps for the oil

Any good thermostatic take off plate will allow a constant small amount of oil to flow through the cooler at all times, so there is no sudden thermo shock to the engine when the opening temp is reached, which may mean that the oil will take slightly longer to reach normal operating temp,

Most decent semi and fully synth oils are happy up to around 130c but I wouldn't want to be seeing more than 115c - 120c on a regular basis, conversely oil needs to reach around 100c during normal engine use in order to evaporate water vapor.

If it doesn't take too much hard driving for your temps to reach 110c in this weather, then during summer it could be a different story, if you do fit a cooler don't go too big and use a take off plate with a high ish opening temp to stop over cooling.

The HR motor must run quite hot then, I only added a small 19 row cooler when I started getting temps over 117c on my supra after fitting a large turbo.

As Neilp said, the thermostatic take off plate, usually fitted to the oil filter housing,

its possible that the std temp gauge is a little optimistic, but it also depends where the oil temp is measured, if the sensor point is on the block or oil filter area it will usually read more than the temp in the sump, so if I fit an aftermarket gauge I will normally fit a sensor in the sump if a can.

• Like 1

If it does, thats handy btw! Wish the 350z came with one rather than battery voltmeter

From my research it has an oil temp gauge and not an oil pressure gauge........... bit daft IMO.

Yeah really should be both and ditch the battery voltmeter.