Any plumbers around?Leaking bath into downstairs flat!

skidder

Hi all,

Well I spent my whole new years eve flooding my downstairs neighbours flat.Great.

I just bought the place 6 weeks ago.

The leak looks like it is directly under my bath.

I've tried everything, taken the bath panel off and ran the bath for 10 mins but no leaks around the waste pipes.

Its taking about 12 hours to reach downstairs.I'm on the first floor and nobody above me.

Any ideas?

I'm trying to find a plumber.

The only thing I can think of is that its a waste pipe internally.

I've taken a couple of floor boards up but can't really take more off without taking the whole bath out.

I'm also leasehold and it states that I am responsible for the pipes serving my flat and the freeholder for the communal pipes.

I've left a message yesterday with the freeholder but i'm not holding up any hope.

I know you lot are a decent bunch so any help appreciated.

Happy New Year.

Chris

Oh and im in Bournemouth.

First thing, does it leak when your not using the bath? If so its not the waste,

Other than that its pull up boards and take out the bath until you find it I'm afraid, it's a pain in the arse but it happens.

Thanks for the reply.I don't think it leaks when the bath is not in use.It takes about 12 hours to even get downstairs.Seems a long time?

Do you think I should start taking the bath and floorboards up to save the plumber time?

thanks

Chris

i had a similar problem once but wasnt a flood, where the plug hole sits in the bath you will notice it has a small rubber gasket underneath and a screw head which is visible on the top where you fit the plug.....try tightening the screw head but gently untill you notice resistance......mine only happened when emptying the bath but made a mess of the down stair celling! but remember water travels so it could following a route there from another location....are you losing any pressure from your boiler gauge? you havent done any diy and nailed a pipe or anything? but try the plug and waste as i first said....good luck

i had a similar problem once but wasnt a flood, where the plug hole sits in the bath you will notice it has a small rubber gasket underneath and a screw head which is visible on the top where you fit the plug.....try tightening the screw head but gently untill you notice resistance......mine only happened when emptying the bath but made a mess of the down stair celling! but remember water travels so it could following a route there from another location....are you losing any pressure from your boiler gauge? you havent done any diy and nailed a pipe or anything? but try the plug and waste as i first said....good luck

Problem is when I run the bath I see NO leaks.

This is pretty much going to be impossible to diagnose without actually being there.

That said, the fact it's taking 12 hours to get there means I'd put my money on it not being a leak on any of the supply pipes. A soil pipe leak is more likely.

Does it happen when you take a bath or when you take a shower? Any difference in time scales? Realistically, you're going to have to start removing panels and floorboards until you find the point of the leak: I'm willing to bet that you'll soon find the section of floor/ceiling that's saturated, which will make it easier to find the problem.

Also, plumber call-out on Jan 1st: Bang goes the Zed modding fund! :D

its plastic pipe and connectors which push together and eliminate the need for traditional plumbing....

No. Compression fittings are NOT push fit plastic. Compression fittings work on a nut and olive (brass or copper if metal, rubber if plastic) forcing against each other to create a seal.

compression-coupling-15mm-_cms_site_products_images_2499-1-4711_350_350_True.jpg

Plastic push fit is something altogether different, and it's also horrible cheap sh*t used by either DIYers (vaguely understandable) or cheap plumbers (completely unacceptable IMHO).

This is pretty much going to be impossible to diagnose without actually being there.

That said, the fact it's taking 12 hours to get there means I'd put my money on it not being a leak on any of the supply pipes. A soil pipe leak is more likely.

Does it happen when you take a bath or when you take a shower? Any difference in time scales? Realistically, you're going to have to start removing panels and floorboards until you find the point of the leak: I'm willing to bet that you'll soon find the section of floor/ceiling that's saturated, which will make it easier to find the problem.

It leaks after the bath.I don't have a shower as i'm doing the place up.

^^^What he said.

You need to check the connection from the bath waste into the soil pipe

Does the soil pipe run internally or externally?

If internal, maybe the soil pipe is partially blocked and the bath water is backing up and leaking out of a joint somewhere.

Even though you can't see any water you need to feel the pipes are dry, as sometimes the water can travel along the outside without seeing it.

If I were you, I'd do as much detective work as poss, as plumbers rates will be horrendous especially today.

If internal, maybe the soil pipe is partially blocked and the bath water is backing up and leaking out of a joint somewhere.

Even though you can't see any water you need to feel the pipes are dry, as sometimes the water can travel along the outside without seeing it.

That's exactly what I was thinking. This could well be a blockage of some kind.

• Like 1

^^^What he said.

You need to check the connection from the bath waste into the soil pipe

Does the soil pipe run internally or externally?

If I were you, I'd do as much detective work as poss, as plumbers rates will be horrendous especially today.

The soil pipe runs internally.

Its possible that it might be blocked as my dumb mate was tiling a couple of weeks ago and has blocked the sink in the bathroom(still goes down but slowly)and also a load of crap probably went down the bath plug knowing him.The bath drains quickly though.

There is definitely no water on any of the pipes or dripping unless its under the floorboards.

That's exactly what I was thinking. This could well be a blockage of some kind.

Possibly onto something here?