Bilstein dampers?

Bodyboarder81

Has anybody fitted these? Can't really find alot of info on them .... I'm looking at the I think the b6/8 dampers to be used with my tein springs .

Looking to improve the handling with regards road use and the odd track day

Any feedback would be great .....

Also Does anyone have any experience with the ohlins coilovers as well? Alot more expensive but would this be a good set up for road compliance and track work?

Also interested in this, what is the benefit of fitting these over coilovers for pretty much the same price?

For me anyway I'm happy with the ride height I'm running on the teins , I just want improve on the standard dampers if possible ?

If I'm going to go coilovers I think you need to go top end to really gain anything .... That's why the ohlins caught my eye .... But at £2500 they are making my eye water as well !!

On a side note .... Fitted the eibach arbs .... Great upgrade :)

Edited by Bodyboarder81

Yes ARBs completely transform the car, however the rear end can be a bit 'floaty'. It's tail happy at much lower speeds which is great, but feels a bit more dodgy on higher speed bends, which I think is lack of confidence more than anything tbh. Turn in massively improves and oversteer seems almost non-existent. Wondering if these dampers will improve further, as I'm also happy with the ride height of my Teins :)

Edited by Jp606

Bilstein are up there with the best in terms of suspension tech and they make great products for road cars from their Motorsports know how.

If you really want a track day damper then you need to get thier clubsports package. The lesser variants are focused on fast road sportiness and the occasional trackday and they all use the factory soft top mounts and progressive springs to maintain daily driving compliance which is what made me get rid of the KWs which are comparable in terms of quality and performance.

Ohlins also are in the same bracket so either of the three will be perfect but I would consider meister R which is UK designed and manufactured and tuned for our roads and then track performance.

• Like 1

Not had any experience of these lately, but back in the 70's and 80's Bilstein was the best quality dampers you could buy.

They were used by all the top pro works rally teams throughout the world.

Any half decent rally car worth its salt would have a set of Bilsteins fitted.

Top quality units.......just sayin'

I just worry about coilovers ruining the road compliance and comfort ?

Gt4z - in your understanding and experience would the bilstein b6 work well with the tein springs and there spring rate ?

Or can I get the same comfort running coilovers nowadays?

Do you mean getting the Bilstein dampers only and pairing it with the Tein springs? That would be ok as the tein springs are designed to work with OEM dampers and the bilstein dampwrs are an upgrade on the OEM.

I would consider the B8 which is a monotube damper.

However if you want to focus on performance/sportiness then the B12, 14 or 16 would be the choice as theses are complete with matching progressive springs with good road compliance.. The B16 would be the most sporty.

I just worry about coilovers ruining the road compliance and comfort ?

Gt4z - in your understanding and experience would the bilstein b6 work well with the tein springs and there spring rate ?

Or can I get the same comfort running coilovers nowadays?

Do you mean getting the Bilstein dampers only and pairing it with the Tein springs? That would be ok as the tein springs are designed to work with OEM dampers and the bilstein dampwrs are an upgrade on the OEM.

I would consider the B8 which is a monotube damper.

However if you want to focus on performance/sportiness then the B12, 14 or 16 would be the choice as theses are complete with matching progressive springs with good road compliance.. The B16 would be the most sporty.

Yes looking at the b8 to be used with my tein springs.

My car won't see alot of track action so the road compliance is the key factor for me ...... I like the ride height I'm at as I don't need to mess around with camber arms as it is. But I would like to make it go round corners better ! I know it's all a comprimise really ... But if changing to coilovers such as the meisters ( don't know anything about them really) would get me a better road and odd track day set I'm I'm fine with changing .

From previous experience I've always found coilovers to be very harsh on the road , but haven't had any on a car for quite a few years . Has it changed now ? Can you get a good quality ride on our bumpy roads as well good on track ? Are the ohlins really worth the price tag .... As they claim to to both vey well?

Thanks for your help

Hi mates,.......happy new year,

i know several guys from the german forum who were very satisfied with the Bilstein B6 ( if u use oem springs or lower springs down to -25mm). i just bought a set of B6 at an amazing price of 508€ shipped. If u want to lower ur Z between -30 to -40mm you should take the B8 dampers,....they have a shorter rebound.

For a sportive use on normal roads and some trackdays they are an excellent choice.

Will post a link where u can look in the spotted area for that cheap dampers

I'd like to just potentially confuse you a tiny bit more as well :lol:

Now I'm purchasing some parts for sharper steering feel, and better road handling (with perhaps 3 track days a year), this at some point is going to involve coilovers.

As mentioned, if you are going to spend around £1500 - I'd most likely go with the Bilstein B16's, their warranty is exceptionally good if you have issues (no quibble warranty if they fail, replaced no questions) or MeisterR GT1 which iirc is tailored to your needs (road/track/comfort).

However, I'm not sure I can afford to do that now, so I'm more than likely going to go with MeisterR Zeta-R and hopefully plop it on their finance.

Edited by RobPhoboS

Is it possible to get the comfort levels from coilovers then? The ohlins would be very nice and if I could find some people using them I might be more inclined to go for these , again the meisters seem like a good choice .... British made and designed for your roads and also on the forum so would be able to phone them up and have a chat

With coilovers comfort very much depends on the quality and selection of the internal valving, and getting the correct spring rates to match, a Lot of cheaper coilovers have a tendency to be over damped with a hard spring rate...which to some gives the impression of a sporty ride when in fact its mostly the opposite.