Bilstein dampers?

Bodyboarder81

The same or very close to std rate....whatever they are on the Z, and progressive rates have a nicer feel, however as I said its not all about spring rates, the way the dampers are valved plays an equally big part in the overall feel, and the way they respond to compression and rebound, race shocks are adjustable for bump and rebound separately.

The same or very close to std rate....whatever they are on the Z, and progressive rates have a nicer feel, however as I said its not all about spring rates, the way the dampers are valved plays an equally big part in the overall feel, and the way they respond to compression and rebound, race shocks are adjustable for bump and rebound separately.

So I guess if I went to say meister and said what I wanted they could do the spring rates I am after and match the damping to the springs?

In theory yes, but just for example I have fitted various makes of spring and damper's, along with coilover to other cars, some where I was able to specify a spring rate of my choice (within certain limits as the damping is usually fixed in its range for coilovers) yet I can honestly say that I have yet to find a combo that I was completely satisfied with.

Two have come close, but that I think was by chance, one was on my Supra and they where Tein but I cant remember which ones, but they where a special order with softer damping and spring rates (the Japanese seem to over do it)

and the other was simply by chance and they where BC and where intended for the Z but I fitted them to my Skyline 350GT which weighs 100kg more, and because of this they performed rather well.

The ONLY coilovers I have driven with that I really liked, where on a mates Skyline R32GTR and where 2.5k worth of Ohlins hence my choice, they had enough range to be comfortable on the road, but also for track.

So rather than waffle on too much, my best advice would be to see if I could drive a few zeds with different setups and see which I liked best, because everyone is going to like different things.

In theory yes, but just for example I have fitted various makes of spring and damper's, along with coilover to other cars, some where I was able to specify a spring rate of my choice (within certain limits as the damping is usually fixed in its range for coilovers) yet I can honestly say that I have yet to find a combo that I was completely satisfied with.

Two have come close, but that I think was by chance, one was on my Supra and they where Tein but I cant remember which ones, but they where a special order with softer damping and spring rates (the Japanese seem to over do it)

and the other was simply by chance and they where BC and where intended for the Z but I fitted them to my Skyline 350GT which weighs 100kg more, and because of this they performed rather well.

The ONLY coilovers I have driven with that I really liked, where on a mates Skyline R32GTR and where 2.5k worth of Ohlins hence my choice, they had enough range to be comfortable on the road, but also for track.

So rather than waffle on too much, my best advice would be to see if I could drive a few zeds with different setups and see which I liked best, because everyone is going to like different things.

Ok mate thanks for your help :)

Yes it is a mine field to be honest when it comes to suspension and finding someone who has the ohlins fitted is going to be impossible. What I don't want to do is fit some coilovers and spoil the handling or the comfort that I do have at the moment ...

What I don't want to do is fit some coilovers and spoil the handling or the comfort that I do have at the moment ...

Same here mate.

I don't think the handling will be worse but the comfort will be a compromise at some point.

Tricky-Ricky has brought up great points, the toughest thing will be finding a car to have a go in on the roads you know.

Ohlins are usually the BEST but... £2,539 :wacko:

I'd like to just potentially confuse you a tiny bit more as well :lol:

Now I'm purchasing some parts for sharper steering feel, and better road handling (with perhaps 3 track days a year), this at some point is going to involve coilovers.

As mentioned, if you are going to spend around £1500 - I'd most likely go with the Bilstein B16's, their warranty is exceptionally good if you have issues (no quibble warranty if they fail, replaced no questions) or MeisterR GT1 which iirc is tailored to your needs (road/track/comfort).

However, I'm not sure I can afford to do that now, so I'm more than likely going to go with MeisterR Zeta-R and hopefully plop it on their finance.

Hi Rob,

of course the B16 are the better choice,.......but that depends on your budget,too. By the way if u wanna spare 200-300 GBP,.......try to order them in germany,......just looked for the price..............................best price at the moment 1160GBP at https://www.n2o-tuni...-05-/a-290656/.

If u need help for translation or u have other questions feel free to contact me.

Edited by Z_Lover
  • Like 1

I've been doing some digging and the bilsteins look like a good coilover with low spring rates and very good dampers , lots of people rate them as a great road coilover set up with the odd track day . Although I could stretch to the ohlins on a car I only use do about 3k a year in not sure I can justify the cost of them .

Edited by Bodyboarder81