New vids added-Car just started sounding deeper & 'raspier'

Randy_Baton

Hi,

Just drove from Leicester to Brighton today and when i got into Brighton and slowed down I noticed my engine was a lot deeper and raspier. Sounded fine when I left but had my music up loud don't know for sure when it changed. I hit a few large puddles on the motorway (60-75 mph) just before Brighton so that may have damaged something.

The noise sounds a bit more like a rally car and is there when i accelerate but is more noticeable when i let off the revs and let the car idle. It sort of sounds like sticking a playing card in the spokes of a bike.

If i walk round the car and open the engine bay, its hardly noticeable in the bay but gets 'bassier' the further ~I get towards to the back of the car. I'm hoping its just a hole somewhere in the exhaust.

Car drives fine (although don't want to drive it until I know what the issue is). and no warning lights are on oil is registering 30 psi when idling and 60 + under revs.

I took 2 videos the sound isn't great though.

Accelerating then idling.

http://vid1310.photo...zps4dirwqjg.mp4

At a stand still and walking round car.

http://vid1310.photo...zpsyhsnq4nv.mp4

*****Edit*****

New videos

I cant see or feel any air being blown out, the sound is loudest at the back of the engine before the cats, but not sure if that could just be some sort of reverb effect. It gets deeper towards the rear of the car.

http://vid1310.photo...zpsdz43wp6k.mp4

I checked the intake and can't see anything wrong, it is loose though as the bolt securing it to the plenum is missing.

Edited by Randy_Baton

I'll try and look tomorrow, just after reassurance that this is probably a relatively cheap fix (exhaust and not engine knock)- my repair bill this year has been half the cost of the car!

There is an MOT garage on my road that I can ask for a quick diagnosis on Monday.

Edited by Randy_Baton

Listening to that second vid at the engine bay it does sound as though there is an unusual amount of intake noise, but that could just be your recording.

Providing the exhaust is not blowing anywhere - particularly at the flexi joints, (which you will find out on Monday) I wonder if one of those large puddles you drove through has got into the intake and/or it is now not 'baffling' the intake as it should? Unlikely, particuarly if you have the standard intake as shown in your link thread but I'm clutching a bit at straws to try to help you:

IMG_1838_zpscf80f98b.jpg

Not much help, but maybe a couple of things to check first

One thing that may have caused this change in sound Randy is something I experienced several times on my old Civic Type R with it's stainless steel exhaust system when it was hot and rapidly cooled by going through water.

On my Civic it would noticeably change the exhaust note as well as make it rattle in places. I believe this is caused as stainless steel gets hotter quicker than mild steel (standard system material) and when rapidly cooled by going through large puddles the exhaust would slightly blow through some of the joints when it was rapidly cooled due to the water.

You'd know if this is the case as when you next go to drive the car after it has cooled & resettled it will sound fine again. If it doesn't then I would say the exhaust is blowing from somewhere.

If the exhaust is blowing, is it safe to drive? It's not going to wreck anything is it?

Perfectly safe to drive & won't wreck anything. Just check firstly that's the exhaust system is secure.

I had an old exhaust that was so corroded once that the entire pipe sheered off so wasn't really safe to drive with as the entire back box was just hanging on via one rubber support mount. That wasn't safe as the back box could have fallen off onto the road.

I don't think yours is that bad though otherwise the sound you had recorded would have been much louder & you would have easily been able to tell where it was blowing from. ;)

Definitely sounds to me like a blowing exhaust or baffles gone in the back box or possibly both together. :dry::shrug:

How old's the Cobra back box?

I had baffles break inside a back box before on an old car I had which caused that to increase in sound & also sound rattly as the baffle was loose inside the back box. Just an idea.

No idea how old the exhaust is.

The sound gets deeper towards the back of the car so would have thought it's an issue further forward than the back box, but not sure.

This might spell the end for my zed career, its getting too expensive for the small amount of miles I do.

cheers for the offer but as there is a garage on my road I've let them look at it as I didn't want to drive it in case it was something more serious.

There first assessment after hearing it was the exhaust is blowing from somewhere near the front. So I'm expecting it to be from the manifold :thumbdown: .

I'll know more later today.