400bhp in a 350z

Bodyboarder81

Hi all just wandering what a 350z with 400-450 bhp would be comparable to on the road , as in other performance cars ? Does anyone know what sort of 0-100mph the car would be able to achieve? And also at this level of power what else is required ? An uprated clutch when it lets go ? A proper diff? Brakes?

This is for a car that won't see a track just some odd blasts on the road

And what sort of mpg are people getting? Obviously not a lot ..... Just wandering:)

Thanks for your help :)

Edited by GIXXERUK

Very subjective as unless you were in a standardised competition/testing any comparison is useless and the are so many other variables to consider. Eg driver, weight, gearing, type of drive, tyres, road conditions etc

Even on track days it tells you nothing. I've spanked a 996 Turbo on bedford or loads of fezzas on the Ring but a 458 italia handed it to me.

Simply put any 400-450whp car is fast but to compare you have to consider all the other factors.

In my case the biggest benefit was from suspension tuning. The power was a logical step and 450whp quickly became inadequate. There will be always a bigger dog around and though I'm setting up for lots more power, I,m not concerned by meaningless numbers but the challenge to tame the beast.

If I were you, in case you want to build an FI zed would be to look at all it entails before and after and also if it's the right start up for your planned or use application. It's not just about numbers.

• Like 1

Very subjective as unless you were in a standardised competition/testing any comparison is useless and the are so many other variables to consider. Eg driver, weight, gearing, type of drive, tyres, road conditions etc

Even on track days it tells you nothing. I've spanked a 996 Turbo on bedford or loads of fezzas on the Ring but a 458 italia handed it to me.

Simply put any 400-450whp car is fast but to compare you have to consider all the other factors.

In my case the biggest benefit was from suspension tuning. The power was a logical step and 450whp quickly became inadequate. There will be always a bigger dog around and though I'm setting up for lots more power, I,m not concerned by meaningless numbers but the challenge to tame the beast.

If I were you, in case you want to build an FI zed would be to look at all it entails before and after and also if it's the right start up for your planned or use application. It's not just about numbers.

Ya understand what you are saying .... This is mostly from attack stand point I guess?

I'm on about ...... Your out for a drive come across a Aston v8/ e90 m3/ r8 v8 ...... Can I give them a run for their money up a dual carriage way ? What sort of performance cars could you liken the 0-100 , speed . Acceleration to?

Ya understand what you are saying .... This is mostly from attack stand point I guess?

I'm on about ...... Your out for a drive come across a Aston v8/ e90 m3/ r8 v8 ...... Can I give them a run for their money up a dual carriage way ? What sort of performance cars could you liken the 0-100 , speed . Acceleration to?

:ban:

You shouldn't be doing that on the road mate. Take it to a track or santapod.

• Like 2

:ban:

You shouldn't be doing that on the road mate. Take it to a track or santapod.

Exactly ! We don't condone road racing, fair enough to ask for a comparison but ...

so I cant blast up to 75 on the slip road on to the motorway chasing a Aston or such like ? I'm fully aware of the law and as such never had any points ...... Where did I say I was speeding ?

Anyway ......

Just there.......75 on a slip road

• Like 2

so I cant blast up to 75 on the slip road on to the motorway chasing a Aston or such like ? I'm fully aware of the law and as such never had any points ...... Where did I say I was speeding ?

Anyway ......

lets stay on topic, drivability, performance, comparison of a supercharged zed......... suggest you pm GMballistic for a personal opinion

If we can't I'll just lock it

Anyway ......

lets stay on topic, drivability, performance, comparison of a supercharged zed......... suggest you pm GMballistic for a personal opinion

Yep spoke to gm .... A very helpful chap .

And yes other people's opinions on performance comparisons would be great

• Like 1

If giving some nice cars a fright is all you are wanting it for then I would suggest there is cheaper and more reliable ways (not to suggest the vortech isn't) to give them a scare. Straight line was never what the zed was about but if you have £7K to burn then do it :)

If giving some nice cars a fright is all you are wanting it for then I would suggest there is cheaper and more reliable ways (not to suggest the vortech isn't) to give them a scare. Straight line was never what the zed was about but if you have £7K to burn then do it :)

More like 10k !

But yes there are cheaper ways to do it ......

Still , what cars would the zed with 400-50 bhp be comparable to ?

Love my s/c Zed but I've no idea what it compares to as I don't really race, I know it goes pretty fast around the 'ring and will do 170ish on the autobahn but that's about it :)

Edit: my build thread is about somewhere in the members build sub forum, have a look if you're interested in s/c and the problems I came across.

Edited by mouthwash
  • Like 1

Really don't know the answer to that, maybe about 20 mpg... I think I made it around 350 miles on the way back from the 'ring before and after it was charged so I don't think it's changed much.

If you hammer it about all over the shop then you can expect to be stopping at every petrol station you see but then that's the same for any Zed really.

The thing is, there needs to be quite a big difference in power/weight before theres a significant difference in performance, even just in a straight line. I regularly go out with 400+hp 200SX's and find theres very little difference in the way the cars perform despite them being considerably lighter and more powerful, by the same token Ive struggled to pull away from 182 Clios, and heaven forbid anyone mentions VXR's .......... :lol:

Big power only makes a big difference at higher (i.e 100mph+) speed, and by that point aerodynamics, weight, gearing and all sorts are also in the mix, its not really something you can give a definitive answer to. I can say with a fair degree of certainty that youd hand the Aston its ass though and probably the BMW too, both are heavy with limited torque ;)

• Like 1

If you look at the various "performance calculators" that are online they will give you a rough idea of expected performance.

They are by no means accurate though and really don't take into account driver reactions/skill, gear ratios, tyres, aerodynamics etc but do give you a relative idea of what the performance will be if you have X amount of power, driven by Y wheels and weigh in at Z.

For example my car comes out like so;

Power to Weight: 306 bhp/ton 0-60: 4.2 0-100: 9.0 60-100: 4.8 1/4 Mile ET: 12.20 1/4 Mile Terminal: 117 Dragstrip 1/4 Mile ET: 12.00 Dragstrip 1/4 Mile Terminal: 121

Now in the real world I don't think those figures would be achievable or correct for my Zed with it's gear ratios/final drive/tyres etc but it does go some way to give an idea of relative performance.

Link to the "performance calculator" I used: http://www.torquesta...?pid=calculator

:thumbs:

• Like 1

There is no definitive answer to this, there are too many variables involved, on paper you just need to compare cars with similar power and torque curves, and similar weight, that's it, and as already mentioned with higher powers cars its only really noticeable at higher speeds than are allowed on out roads,

Its traction that is the defining factor at lower speeds.