Hamilton under investigation by FIA

GC350z

From sky news:

Lewis Hamilton is under investigation by Formula One officials after YouTube footage appeared to show him driving recklessly during the recent Japanese grand prix.

The McLaren driver, who leads the Drivers' Championship, has been accused by a rival driver of instigating a collision through his actions.

Championship leader Lewis HamiltonRed Bull driver Mark Webber says Hamilton caused him to hit Toro Rosso's Sebastian Vettel by speeding up and slowing down behind the safety car.

An FIA official said: "We understand the stewards of the meeting have received new evidence and are looking into the relevant matter.

"It would be inappropriate for us to comment any further at this particular stage, in particular as to what penalty, if any, might be imposed."

Hamilton, who won the grand prix has a 12-point lead over teammate and current champion Fernando Alonso.

The 22-year-old stands to become the youngest driver and the first black driver to win the title if he can better Alonso's finish in next Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai.

---------------

Knew about him speeding up and slowing and it possibly being a distraction for Vettel but didn't actually see any footage of it. Searching for the video now.

Guy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

youtube? i thought most f1 cars including the safety car have on-board cameras? surely they would have seen it on them? i didnt think the FIA would resort to scanning youtube? maybe im wrong..

Oh well lets wait and hear what they say.

Just watched it on the news, seems pretty blameless. He has to stay within 5 lengths of the safety car which he may have exceeded but with other cars piling through on the inside and him staying wide I cant see that they will be able to say he is to blame.

Some of the others seem to be getting desperate and I must say, pretty pathetic

He will probably get partial blame but no punishment. Webber is equial in blame as is Vettel.

Hamilton has to stay within distance of safety car.

Webber can't pass Hamilton.

Vettel is watching Hamilton go wide.

Vettel's 10 place punishment might get reduced.

Is it just me or is anyone else asking how the chuff that could have been the fault of Hamilton?

Radio evidence if it is recorded would presumably back up Lewis' statement on the event, and would suggest that he was concious the driver behind was too close and he went wide in order to avoid an incident. It seems to me that Vettel and Webber were simply not concentrating on their own driving in very poor conditions.

No, you right.

I think Hamilton did the right thing. Vettel went into Webber, he should have slowed further back and kept his distance. The car at the back is at fault, just like it would be on the public road. I know its different but thats how i see it.

The latest is he will not be punished.

Absolutely right, all this bickering is getting on my tits :rant: Other drivers are making themselves look childish. Get them all in BTCC for a season with Plato and see how they like that!! :D

Here here.... :thumbs:

Hamilton said before the outcome he would be prepared to quit if he was punished and did not want to be a part of F1 if this behaviour carried on. Quite right if you ask me.

The latest is he will not be punished.

Absolutely right, all this bickering is getting on my tits :rant: Other drivers are making themselves look childish. Get them all in BTCC for a season with Plato and see how they like that!! :D

Here here.... :thumbs:

Hamilton said before the outcome he would be prepared to quit if he was punished and did not want to be a part of F1 if this behaviour carried on. Quite right if you ask me.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40948

His comments sound a lot like those made by Alonso not so long ago. Like a child. If he quit I'd fly over to China and give him a good kick in the head. The three of them drove poorly under the safety car and weather conditions.

Yes - threatening to walk out if things didnt go his way was somewhat childish.

He is only 22 though, and I am fortunate enough to still remember what its like to be that age, so probably just his temper getting the better of him - but still, not a very mature thing to say.

Yes - threatening to walk out if things didnt go his way was somewhat childish.

He is only 22 though, and I am fortunate enough to still remember what its like to be that age, so probably just his temper getting the better of him - but still, not a very mature thing to say.

Sh*t I can't...its a long long time ago :blush:

I know this is slightly off topic but still F1 related.

Look at what the wailing Spanish Wuss has said now :yawn::yawn:

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_2781366,00.html

Oh yes - things arent going his way, so its everyone else thats wrong.

Yet when the car is half a second quicker and things are on the up, its all down to his driving... :lol:

I think the only component missing from Alonsos car is one of these:

dummy.jpg

Lewis would have been advised before any statements were made, so not sure it was his age or anything. Personally I think that was a good tactic and I would have done the same. F1 needs Lewis next year if only for the extra interest he has created. The guy was simply standing up for himself, which I think is justified, since everyone else seems to have it in for him.

As for his driving, he is in his rookie year for god's sake.

Lewis would have been advised before any statements were made, so not sure it was his age or anything. Personally I think that was a good tactic and would have done the same. F1 needs Lewis next year if only for the extra interest he has created. The guy was simply standing up for himself, which I think is justified, since everyone else seems to have it in for him.

As for his driving, he is in his rookie year for god's sake.

+1 :thumbs: