Lacquer-ing wheels

Danohosko

Hi guys,

currently in the process of spray painting a set of Rays, spraying them a metallic graphite colour, its taken me about 4 saturdays so far and i have just applied the basecoat. Been using a proper 200L compressor and an LVLP spray gun.

Started off stripping and cleaning them, then applied primer, let it dry for a week, then applied some more primer, let it dry another week, now I've just sprayed on the basecoat, i messed up as i didn't sand the primer before the basecoat as i figured wheels don't need to be as smooth as say your bonnet... :bangin:

Now the basecoat is pretty rough, but i dont mind, live and learn, but the metallic is looking good, the Lacquer is going to be 1k, not the best from what iv'e heard but i don't fancy spraying 2k with Isocyanites without an air-fed mask.

1. I can't sand down the metallic basecoat can I else it will ruin the metallic finish right?

2. Since i'm using 1k lacquer, i don't really want to put the wheels on the ride before the lacquer has had time to cure or has some sort of wax protection on them, any suggestions on timescale?

3. Do you actually sand down the lacquer after or not?

Heard loads of differences from 1 week - 6 months before any sort of polish and wax can be applied, i won't be baking them either. I would like to get them on soonish to go with the spacers i bought, but then don't want the lacquer to be ruined within a month if i could wait a little longer and put some wheel wax on...

My idea was this, people usually spray on say 3 layers of lacquer, then it takes x-time to cure. If i put on just one thin coat per week, would that 1-coat cure within a week?

Rather than waiting a few months for a few thick layers to cure all at once..?

Thank in advances,

Dan

Here's a pic so far: http://s46.photobucket.com/user/Danohosko/media/20141207_111122_zpsb4dd242f.jpg.html

Edited by Danohosko

I have painted many wheels with spray guns before, as I think done right it can be better than powder coat

Lacquer needs to go on nice and thick but without runs, a pretty hard process but if you apply it thin you will find it harder to get a nice glossy finish and good texture and remember to polish down, never sand anything but primer

Also you can mix metal flake into your laquer for added metallic-Ness, but you have to get your coats perfect otherwise you will have too much flake

yeah i have heard powder-coating forged alloys isn't always a good idea because of the baking can affect the wheel? May be untrue though,

Also i didn't fancy paying someone else, i got given the compressor for free so why pay someone £50 a wheel when i can just have a go haha

I see so thin layers of lacquer probably won't work, do i polish the basecoat before the lacquer or will that ruin my current metallic-ness?

Also my spraying is far from perfect so not sure if i'd be good enough for the flakes, might look into it though ;)

Your leaving it way too long between coats, you run the risk of the paint peeling due to low adhesion,

the primer should have been Left to flash off for an hour or two at most, before sanding an applying the base coats,

then the clear should have been applied as soon as the base has flashed off, same goes for any subsequent coats,

if the temp is cold then you need a bit of heat to help things as if there is too much moisture in the air you will get bloom.

• Like 1

Where you spraying in cold conditions! re flat the wheels either with fine scotched or 400-600 wet n dry respray with a couple of coats of base colour, let it flash off and then a couple of coats of lacquer allowing it flash off between coats, and if you can heat the area so much the better.

The 2 pack clear ir exceptional the one k is ok but it will not look as good not deep enough so to speak and yes you are doing it all wrong after basecoat I leave it an hour then start clear leave each coat half an hour then it will look good keep the garage /shed warm and it will harden off in a couple of days but don't mess with it for a week remember 2 pack is mixed with hardener at 2 to 1 part hardener, :thumbs:2d775e9d6c11a332eca0755bb6919036_zps50a0e58c.jpg

This engine cover is 2 pack as is everything on my car shiney shiney, :thumbs:

• Like 3

Just for reference if your going to DIY respray your wheels, its always better to use 2k as it will flash off quicker so you will get less chance of runs on awkward angles like wheels, especially if your new to spraying, just use a decent mask, doesn't need to be air fed like some would say, I have been using it for years with just a mask and I am still OK LOL!

Just for reference if your going to DIY respray your wheels, its always better to use 2k as it will flash off quicker so you will get less chance of runs on awkward angles like wheels, especially if your new to spraying, just use a decent mask, doesn't need to be air fed like some would say, I have been using it for years with just a mask and I am still OK LOL!

This is true.

I do a lot of spray painting in my job, we do have an air fed mask but it is rarely used due to it being restrictive for moving around the paint booth when going in & out for doing multiple parts.

Most of the time I just use a Moldex full face spray painting mask in work which gives a great field of vision, protection & isn't restrictive for movement at all. These are fairly expensive at around £70-£80 but offer a good level of protection especially for your eyes which some people overlook.

For spray painting at home though where I mainly use spray cans I just have a good single filter face mask & wear goggles at the same time. This mask was only around £20 from eBay so very affordable.

Definitely worth investing in a decent mask if you haven't already Dan. :thumbs:

Where you spraying in cold conditions! re flat the wheels either with fine scotched or 400-600 wet n dry respray with a couple of coats of base colour, let it flash off and then a couple of coats of lacquer allowing it flash off between coats, and if you can heat the area so much the better.

Umm probably <10 degrees haha, i have a eat lamp in the shed which doesn't really provide much heat lol, i think i'll take your advice and do a couple basecoats and then the lacquer next weekend.

I will look into the 2K a bit more, i was a little over cautious maybe but people told me you can get asthma from the iso's if you are prone to it, and my old man has asthma so didn't wanna risk getting it myself too lol,

I have a half face 3M mask with P3 filters, been using goggles and a painters suit too, i did look into a 2K safe mask but 3M said only air-fed so i didnt really look much more into it haha

I will carry on as i am for now, and if it only lasts a few months then i'll redo next summer after my exams when i'll have more time to do a nice job ;)

that engine bay is nice!

i'd leave the lacquer for a day at least before polishing. The longer, the harder, the better it is to polish but as tricky has already said, not really the weather for it if you're not in a proper heated workshop. I know as I have sprayed wheels before and it is a head ache and even more so when the temp isn't right. Good luck with it fella.

Well im pretty certain they will all be finished and lacquered by the end of next weekend, how long do people think till i can stick em on and maybe wax them for daily driving?

I can deffo wait till new years :) either way i gotta wait for my spacers to arrive

Accepted the fact that i will probably be redoing them again next summer if all goes bad...

Edited by Danohosko

2k is nasty but we use it without all the flash mask malarkey. Masks should be ok if you're reasonably well ventilated.

Don't use 1k if you can help it.

I've seen 1k smart repairs which we've had to go over with 2k and the reactions they cause in the paint is horrendous. We've had to bar coat seal the previous repair it's causes such a nightmare.

If you spray well enough with 2k on an alloy you should be ok without flatting and polishing. On bodywork it'd be necessary but you'd have to be pretty eagle eyed for an alloy.

Is your avitar a current picture of you Ricky after all that spraying :lol:

• 1 month later...