Anyone in the UK had a steering lock fault

oldbonesmcgee

Hi all,

Well my steering lock failed last night...won't let me turn the ignition on or anything and the window is down.

I know Nissan issued a recall for this but I can only find a service bulletin with Nissan North America on it. Plus the recall was only introduced in 2013. So I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue and got it fixed under the recall here in the UK?

I have tried everything, the steering lock is stuck in the unlock position which is actually the worst one because heating it up tapping it and trying again doesn't attempt to free it.

I'm also a little concerned about someone removing the old one at Nissan because I think it is a cut out job due to tamper resistant bolts :/

Cheers,

Dan

I had it replaced by nissan then pulled the fuse anyway don't want that again

Haven't heard of any issues from those who have had their lock replaced and personally I think the downside of not having the fuse in place and the lock working is not worth it.

My car was registered 07/09/2010 and Nissan are saying that my chassis number falls outside the affected range, however clearly it doesn't as my steering lock is faulty?

Raise it with Nissan Customer services as you say it is outside their quoted chassis number range - hopefully they will take sympathy and deal with it as a goodwill gesture.

I had it replaced by nissan then pulled the fuse anyway don't want that again

Haven't heard of any issues from those who have had their lock replaced and personally I think the downside of not having the fuse in place and the lock working is not worth it.

Has yours failed?

Being stuck in middle of nowhere with the snow filling your interior because the windows drop every time the door is open and closed. then dealing with the inadequate service from nissan trying to fix the dam thing is not somthing I want to deal with again

Each to they're own but not for me I just put my disclock on the car

Well exactly I would have pulled the fuse if i thought mine was affected but as its a late 2010 I thought it was ok. Clearly it isn't and as above ^^ regardless of whether Nissan do fix it for free or not, its a horrible feeling sitting at work hoping to god it doesn't rain or your interior will get wreaked. Plus I have to pay for the uplift.

I'll definitely be pulling the fuse once it is fixed.

Right, Nissan Aberdeen have told me they will be submitting a good will claim.

I don't know what my chances are but the woman at service said they take note of everything, whether you have full Nissan service history, if you've owned other Nissan cars, other weird stuff. So I'm off to buy a Micra I can turn up in.

It has full nissan history up to when it was serviced at the dealer I bought it at (not nissan) and will be due a service in a few weeks which I was of course planning to have Nissan do as no other hands are worthy. I have also actually never owned a nissan before either... does this mean they hate me and I'll have to pay for my own lock?

I hope they do sort it for you because talking to the engineer it will definitely not be cheap to replace.

I had read at the time that although the later cars have a different mechanism they have been known to suffer from the same problem but the chance of the issue occurring is significantly less.

Some replacements have failed in the same manor though.

Its an absolutely stupid design. I believe its all the gel / lubricant they put around the mechanism. In the heat the gel becomes more fluid and the design means this then flows into the area where the electrics / chip is, thereby causing the damage and failing the lock. It is why it is far more of a prevalent issue in the US that the UK due to the heat. But inevitably most of the original locks on the older cars will fail, hence the recall

My car was registered 30/06/2010, and the previous owner told me he had it changed twice. Both were done under warranty.

Not much help to you, but if you know the range of VIN numbers, i could check to see if my car falls within them?

My car was registered in September 2010

I'll see if I can get the vin number range but I doubt they will give it to me.

Im sure I have seen the VIN numbers affected published somewhere maybe on 370z.com ill have a look

Edit

ScottyZ, on 04 April 2013 - 07:39, said: Just spoke to Nissan Customer Services on the 01923 899334 number and they told me that 925 vehicles are affected. He then went on to say the affected vehicles were from VIN no.0300691 and that had a build date from 24th March 2010 which seems odd as I thought '09 and '10 cars were affected.

Might be a good idea if another member can phone Nissan Customer Services to clarify the VIN numbers and build dates that the recall applies to.

Scotty

Edited by flyboy