Bloody Stereo !

J4CKO

Mine has the OEM Bose, the CD just skips all over the place which is intensely annoying, I tried a cassette gutted, drilled full of holes and filled with Silica Gel Packs, to no avail.

What are my options for having a working source of music playback (other than tapes/radio)

Dont want to spend much as I dont really do huge mileages, just want something to plug and play that doesn't involve a degree in car audio electronics.

Can the OEM stereo be sent away to teach it the error of its ways ?

Mine has the OEM Bose, the CD just skips all over the place which is intensely annoying, I tried a cassette gutted, drilled full of holes and filled with Silica Gel Packs, to no avail.

What are my options for having a working source of music playback (other than tapes/radio)

Dont want to spend much as I dont really do huge mileages, just want something to plug and play that doesn't involve a degree in car audio electronics.

Can the OEM stereo be sent away to teach it the error of its ways ?

Do the iPod hack, then you don't have to listen to any CDs again :)

J4C,

(Presume you're not using copied discs)

Seen loads of failed optical drives that can't read/write due to the lens losing focus... ( from the laser emitter (reflected from the disc surface) and back to the receiving lens).... usually because of wearing on the tracks that the lens runs up and down. You had it on the Playstaions a lot years ago and get it in cheap PC drives a lot.

Take it out and replace it with either the same or a more up to date unit.

OR

Get one of those cassette things with an AUX input that runs audio through the tape heads.

That will knacker your cassette player within 6 months too. Then you'll have to replace it :D :D :stir:

Luckily my 10yrs old zed is behaving well up to now. No skipping etc. Just needed a new relay to get my driver seat's massage system back in working order (subwoofer)

Cheapest way is this really, cassette aux thingy as mikkydoos mention above http://m.ebay.co.uk/ itm/Car-Audio-Tape-Cassette-To-Jack-AUX-For-IPOD-MP3-IPhone-3-5mm-Conection-to-Car-/120919317790

Good luck with it mate

Edited by veeg33

Happy to remove the Bose but I thought you had to buy a selection of adaptors to hook it up to the OEM amps ?

You just need the correct loom adapters to ensure the steering wheel controls still work.

Guide here: http://www.350z-uk.c...z-audio-system/

This may also help if you do decide to change the head unit.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...guide-may-help/

If you do get the correct loom adapters then a local car audio place should only charge you around £20-£30 for fitting the head unit. I had my Pioneer head unit fitted locally by B&B Audio Concepts, Cardiff for £25. :thumbs:

Edited by GMballistic

It was posible as i discovered to buy a new genuine bose unit from a breaker from a late preferably facelift model 350z so its as new as possible most breakers dont value the unit very highly partly due to the nats codeing so it wont swap into your car .hence they will usually take sensible cash .

Then when you feeling calm and patient simply dismantle the new unit and your old unit swap out the complete cd multi unit from the case which is suprisingly easy and rebuild it into your old stereo all will work fine ,obviously provided the donor stereo was good which i will grant you is the only gamble unless it was testable first before removal.

yes i have done this to mine so i know it works

Bose hack, Bluetooth adaptor with 3.5 jack hidden behind the heater controls and its sorted.

Never thought I would be leaving in a standard unit but its great!

The bits I used are on the last few pages of the how to in the guides section.

I swapped my cd part of the unit with another oem cd unit, bulletmagnet fitted it for me, works fine now. you need to remove the old unit which comes out in one piece and then from there, remove the cd player part and install a replacement. If you replace the whole unit you'll find it wont work due to coding.

• 1 month later...