Snow in New York state

JetSet

I have a colleague who lives in queens and another who lives up in Boston. I dropped them both an email to see if they were ok even though I know they are quite a distance from th heaviest snowfalls.

Thankfully both are and so far unaffected. I spoke to the Boston guy earlier and he said the scary thing is Buffalo is used to "proper" snow but this is just something well beyond.

Mind you it has nothing on the couple of inches we may have that will put the country on hold

he said the scary thing is Buffalo is used to "proper" snow but this is just something well beyond.

Lake effect snow up there, the Great Lakes are still fairly warm and the Northerly wind picks up loads of moisture and turns it into snow. On this occasion there was also moist air coming up from the South too. A perfect storm almost. Not much is moving in Buffalo right now. The heavy snowfall we had here in March 2013 was also a form of Lake effect snow but instead of Lake Erie, The Irish Sea was the culprit. Luckily for us we only get this once every 10-20 years, its every year in Buffalo.

BTW, everyone should read the item about shovelling snow on The BBC website...scary stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410

Pete

• Like 1

Ian : Hello, I'm afraid I'm not coming to work today.......

Work : Is it because of the snow?

Ian : Yes..... :teeth:

Work : Shovel the snow god damn it!!

Ian : Sorry, that won't be possible with the risk of heart attack!!

Work : P45!!!

• Like 1

Wow. Really?!

Just hope we don't get it here.

Not a chance, The U.S gets far more severe winters than we do and this is really bad by their standards. It's always possible that we'll get some snow but winters like 1947/63/81 are rare and everything has to fall into place. Right now, I'm expecting something like last year, wet, windy and mild....but you never can tell in latish November :) .

Pete

_79159878_datapic.png

They're expecting another 3 feet later today but seriously what happens if the snow slides onto his windscreen or backwards onto the road.

Pete

hmm...1mm of snow in London and everything is on a stand still !

Do things actually move in London when there's no snow? :lol:

Pete

Wow. Really?!

Just hope we don't get it here.

Not a chance, The U.S gets far more severe winters than we do and this is really bad by their standards. It's always possible that we'll get some snow but winters like 1947/63/81 are rare and everything has to fall into place. Right now, I'm expecting something like last year, wet, windy and mild....but you never can tell in latish November :) .

Pete

Hope you're right!