Help with insurance company issue

LRF4N

As most of you know my skyline has been written off. I have been negotiating an amount with them. We have sent various adverts back and forward.

They have given me a second valuation which is lower than market value, for which the car was insured

They sent me 4 adverts saying my amount is too high

Of these 4, only one was below the second settlement figure. The rest were way above. Plus these cars were standard, one was even a cat c.

I replied to the email explaining that the figure was too low, as they had just proved not me

But now I have had a letter saying the cheque for that amount is on it's way. I did not agree to that amount

Where do I stand now? I have replied again by email and will call in the morning. But if I haven't agreed can they just send me a cheque and fob me off??

They can send you a cheque all they want, all you need to do is throw it in the bin and call & email them confirming that you are not accepting their settlement figure at this time. Where is the car right now? If it's in a yard waiting to be scrapped, they're paying storage costs so want it shifted ASAP, hence them trying to push you. If it's on your drive, I'd be trying to secure it best I could.

Am I reading this correctly that THEY sent YOU some adverts, 3/4 of which were above their settlement offer? If that's the case, then I would send them an email stating that even their adverts are proving your case. Unless your car was covered for the value of the mods, then you have to value it as a standard car I'm afraid.

Do me a favour, PM me with the amounts we're talking about here and the company involved, I can probably help you more that way. Only if you want to, of course. :)

• Like 1

They can send you a cheque all they want, all you need to do is throw it in the bin and call & email them confirming that you are not accepting their settlement figure at this time.

That.

Don't bank it, let them know you've not accepted their offer and have destroyed the cheque (or return it if you prefer).

That's what I thought, cheers

I sent them an email on Wednesday saying they're proving my car is worth more than they've offered. No reply

I sent another email this afternoon saying I'm still awaiting their response and iv made it clear iv not accepted their offer

Il see what they say tomorrow

Had an email this morning saying the first cheque was an initial payment and a further cheque would be issued if the valuation was raised. I was sceptical obviously but then within an hour I had another email

They had look at the ads more realistically, given an average of thrones closest matching mine, deducted a 5% "haggling at point of sale" fee and I will be getting a second cheque for just under a grand

:teeth:

Well done mate - sounds like a neat little trick to try get you to just take the first cheque, and if you challenge it then plan B is to pay the right amount.

What insurer was it out of interest? When I had my Skyline it was a bit of a minefield getting insurance...might be getting another old Jap car in the future too so will find the same issues!

Its a shame they always play this same game when it comes to paying out on cars.

When my brothers Golf VR6 was written off many moons ago, his insurance offered him exactly 50% of the market price. My brother nearly accepted it as he presumed thats all they thought it was worth. Looking online we ended up sending no end of adverts off to them proving the real cost of replacing the car with one of identical spec/age/mileage and it still took a couple of offers from them before they finally agreed the real market price.

Glad you got it sorted out in the end.

Thing is joe public won't bother checking ads and pushing for a better price like car enthusiasts. My sister told me the other night she accepted a very low first offer for their car. I told her you never accept the first offer and send them evidence of the real value. She told me she couldn't be bothered! :lol: