Pillion passenger? One for gixxeruk?

nixy

I have never ever been on a bike despite loving them and watching racing. My other half is a bike nut and has ridden since age 11 and done a lot of building and showing. His last was a supercharged R1..... He has been out of bikes and into cars for a couple of years but couldn't stay away long! So..... Picking up a GSXR at the weekend which won't be coming out until spring. The general idea is for me to be pillion. I know it's a bit hardcore for a first timer even a petrol head like me. Am I mad???? Will I hate it????

• Like 1

Hi Nic

will you enjoy it ...........

It depends how he rides, it will be faster than you think (honestly)

No car compares to a bike, figures maybe but the feeling is not even close

Ask him to take it easy and if you are ok then buy an intercom, well worth it on a run

You really can't beat it in the summer :thumbs:

Buy or borrow the right gear to wear, it's a must but most of all have fun :thumbs:

Paul

• Like 2

can only echo what Gixxer has already said

if you dont know what to do on the back the best thing is to do nothing and sit still, dont be so worried that you sit stiff as a board but you can have a big influence over how the bike handles on the back. be prepared for the acceleration but also the braking, my wife is really good and has learnt over the years to predict what i am going to do and if your other half is as an experienced rider as he sounds he will no doubt be pretty gentle on the throttle and brakes but even so use your core to help you and dont just rely on your arms to hold on.

i couldnt do it! i love bikes and love the feeling of the acceleration but i couldnt be a pillion and not everyone can so dont be too upset if you hate it.... it takes a special kind of trust

if and when you get used to it enough that he opens it up a bit it will be quick... very quick but believe me on your own on a bike without the weight and worry of a pillion nothing compares to the acceleration of a big bike on full chat.. is sooooo addictive! i once sat on my 12r on an open road in the middle of france while rolling along in 6th gear and opened the tap from 50mph all the way to an indicated 200mph... in one gear!

get over the initial worry and relax into it.... find a nice set of sweeping bends and go with the flow and try not to smile so hard your face hurts

• Like 2

Great comments from the guys above. One more thing I would like to add - don't do what my other half did and do a 1500 mile trip on a sports bike as your first time as a pillion! 😳 She walked like John Wayne for a week afterwards 😄

• Like 1

As already said really, try to relax which is not easy to start with and get your other half to go steady (I'm sure they will anyway) .

Watch out for accelerating and braking catching you out and try not to bang helmets! I get pillions to use a push pull method to reduce this .

Most of all enjoy it , there is nothing like being on a bike when it's cranked over!

Ps: I prefer the front to the pillion seat any day :lol:

• Like 1

Really appreciate the advice guys. Made me feel loads better that nobody has said oh my god are you mad going out for the first time ever on a sports bike! The pillion position on a GXSR looks a bit high and small but my other half is 6ft 4 and I'm 5ft 6 so he should shield me a bit! I trust him 100% and I can't say that about anyone else. He will be careful when I'm with him and would never show off. He said sit like a sack of spuds and just go with it! I think for me the fact I like speed makes it worse because that's with ME driving! Being a passenger when you like that kind of thing is harder! I've also found the choice in female specific leathers etc quite limited but going to motorcycle live in November at nec so will try some gear on there maybe. I'm quite excited about it! Will post some pics when we've picked it up! Knowing him it will be changed quite a bit by spring!

On a personal note I've had in my time 6 very powerful bikes.It was an accident that stopped me in the end and I should have got back in the saddle quicker afterwards.Riding pillion wasn't my thing as I preferred to be in control of the bike. That said you can't beat the pure buzz of biking it's a natural high and makes every journey an event. You will adapt to the riding style pretty quickly and appreciate the centre of gravity around the machine. My other half was great as she would tuck in tight at speed and clamp her legs on me when braking. The laws of physics and common sense will help you to adapt pretty quickly. You will love it, the sense of speed will be like nothing you've ever experienced before and that will be with the other half taking it easier with you on the back. Enjoy :)

As said above, My second wife wasn't into bikes and i had a GSXR1000. First time out did about 30 miles really steady and when we got of her hands where white from holding on too tight, but after that first ride she started to relax a bit more realising you don't have hold on for grim death and started to enjoy it a bit more. What i would say is i always appreciate she is not a big bike fan so i always ride very steady with her on the back other wise she wouldn't come out.