Does anyone here live in Dorset?

twobears

I am idly thinking of where I would like to move to in a couple of years time and have been wondering about Dorset but am not sure what it is like to actually live there permanently. I've been on holiday a few times, near Poole, Milton Abbas and Bridport respectively and I feel 'at home' because it is so rural but I would love to hear from a 'native' with good and bad points. I can probably live anywhere in the country in a few years time so it is difficult to make a decision because I am not tied to anything in particular. Any sensible advice would be welcome - thank you :)

I am just down the road from the Shed in Bournemouth/Poole

I personally couldnt say enough good things about the place, its truly a stunning place to be, beach on your doorstep and countryside a stones throw further. I avoid "town" these days as its a bit of stag and hen do and studenty place to be, probably because i am old though ;)

The only thing i will say is property is expensive, it can get busy in summer, but you soon would know where to avoid the crowds.

As you go further west or inland, Bridport as its familiar, it starts to get quieter and more rural.

The only other place i would consider a move to is Devon/Cornwall.

• Like 1

Thanks Jetpilot :) I am after rural rather than coastal but it would be nice to be nearer to the sea than I am at the moment. I like Lyme Regis and other pretty seaside places but I don't think I would cope very well with tourists getting under my feet if I'm honest! I think that Devon and Cornwall would be too far off the beaten track for me, although they are both lovely counties.

Head inland from Poole/Bournemouth then, some lovely villages.

I think you need to do a bit of a road trip and have a look around, to be honest, i barely notice tourists as there are plenty of places they dont know about, you would only notice them if you stick around the main towns.

Thanks Jetpilot and Humpy :D I stayed in a little village near Bridport for a couple of nights last week and had a look round the area but it would be nice to take a drive back to Dorset once I pick up my new car at the weekend. I am keen to drive it and it would be good to have a purpose to the trip as well. I might see if I can book a B&B.

Great Place to live :thumbs:

As said above property is expensive (or can be) and we pay a premium for things like parking in town and at the beach as the "tourist" rates apply all year - the trade off is the beaches of Poole and Bournemouth have not fallen out of the top 10 cleanest in the last decade or so and are usually found in the top 5. Add to that the New Forrest only a few minutes drive from my house and it is very pleasant.

Again as said above the tourists don't know all the best spots and can be avoided at high seasons, if you head inland from Bournemouth towards Blandford or Salisbury there are some lovely little villages to live in, very rural but with easy access by car to major routes and towns.

I love it down here - but that may just be me :)

• Like 1

we live in Ferndown which is about 8miles out of Bournemouth and Poole and have to say it bliss......easy access to the a 31 etc.........mostly retired people in the area we live...don't ever really see myself living else wheres to be honest

Thanks Buster and Keyser :teeth: If you know any really nice villages that you think I should look at, please let me know as it is difficult to get a complete feel for an area when you don't visit often. I like Milton Abbas but the houses are very small and I want something with a bit of land for the horse.