FERODOS Driving me NUTS! (Squealing like a porcine)

Zzzz...

Ok here it is I HATE ferodo DS2500

As good and excellent as they are... and they proved themselves in the Nurburgring, on daily usage I cannot stop them from squealing...

The condition where they squeal is as follows.

After the discs/brakes have warmed up.

At low speed (just before coming to a halt) and with very light brake pedal application (barely touching the disk).

The Squeal is TERRIBLE... :rant:

Just when you are cruising around town and on FULL ASW, you come to a gentle stop at the traffic light and it happens...most embarrasing...

The only way round it is to come to a stop with greater pedal pressure, but because the grip of these pads, you end up getting the passenger munching dash panel every time...

Fed up ...

I have already

Copper greased them

Copper greased the leading and trailing edges of the backing plate also, I have tried with Shim and with out shim... and I have even chamfered leading and trailing edges... with no solution...

I am going to go back to OEM...because while they are unbelievable in terms of braking performance , every day use is driving me NUTS...

I checked in Spain Z forum and they suffere it also... and because of higher ambient temperatures they suffer it more frequently, the word FERODO is a no-go area on that forum...purely because of this ...

Sorry RANT over ... just had to vent my frustration...

Anyone else suffer from this...????

comicbark4.gif[/img]

My OEM brakes (MY07) make a slight squeal just as you described only not as bad. Slowing down. Lightly touch brake. It's not too embarrassing. Could be a lot worse and sound like yours. Sounds a lot like the noise racing cars make when coming to a standstill. Almost a metal on metal sound.

Guy

No option but to change or live with it... but i am not ready to live with it... I'll keep them for example for a track day ... or something like this ... after all they are a easy to replace...

I know the OEM should be tested for this... but i am not sure of the red stuff... if some one with ferodos, had this squeal and then moved to redstuff and the problem dissappeared, I will take your word and go with them... which no doubt will be cheaper than OEM...

Redstuffs don't squeal...

I concur, never a peep out of them

Same for me, and so much better than the OEM. :)

but have you guys had ferodos?

if yes, could you develop the squeal using ferodos... and now you cannot get this squeal under the same circumstances...

this is what i want to know... otherwise it could be your braking styles are different from mine...

if yes, could you develop the squeal using ferodos... and now you cannot get this squeal under the same circumstances...

this is what i want to know... otherwise it could be your braking styles are different from mine...

I've had oem, redstuff and ferodo's :thumbs:

OEM: Crap

Redstuff: Good and NO squeeling

Ferodo's: Superb but wailed like a banshee

:)

I think you mean would the EBC's squeal because the Ferodo's do? If so, then not at all. The EBC's come with a shim applied that seems to do the job. The braking 'style' shouldn't make any difference as it's still just pistons pressing a pad. Only thing you might want to check is that all pistons aren't seized at all, or see whether you can get some shims for the back of the Ferodos. :thumbs:

Thank you!... don't let them tell you your are useless... :p

OK so if you have the squeal and the red stuff didn't under the same usage, it gives me confidence to go that route...

OK ...dammit :rant: ... 185 quid for pads and now another 100 and odd quid for new pads... in 3000 miles (3000/185= 16 miles/pound ... probably the most expensive pads in the world....) :dry:

anyone here want 2nd had ferodo pads... ? going cheap...

Hi,

I recently changed the rear pads on my Z with Ferodos, have had no squeals-yet!

As has already been suggested I put shims and Copper grease on the pads before fitting.

You don't have any stones caught between pads and disc? Are your discs damaged-all I can suggest!!

No pads and discs are fine... all checked... it is a characteristic of the pads I think... I have the shims that came with the original pads fitted... I tried it without them... no improvement either way... chamfered them... etc etc...

If you have not had it yet (the pig in your brakes squeeeeealiiiing), it might be your braking style is different... i think if you are a late-braker and stop "positively" ;) you might never hear it...

as I say , i feather the brake pad between say 10mph and 0mph to avoid an abrupt stop...it is in this time and with warm disc/pads ( for example after driving around town stop/starting for around 5-10 minutes...or after a few decent stops on the motorway)

No solution but, to just buy new pads...and try them out... :dry:

No pads and discs are fine... all checked... it is a characteristic of the pads I think... I have the shims that came with the original pads fitted... I tried it without them... no improvement either way... chamfered them... etc etc...

If you have not had it yet (the pig in your brakes squeeeeealiiiing), it might be your braking style is different... i think if you are a late-braker and stop "positively" ;) you might never hear it...

as I say , i feather the brake pad between say 10mph and 0mph to avoid an abrupt stop...it is in this time and with warm disc/pads ( for example after driving around town stop/starting for around 5-10 minutes...or after a few decent stops on the motorway)

No solution but, to just buy new pads...and try them out... :dry:

If that's what you mean about braking style, I do exactly the same (I thought everyone was taught that way :blush: ) and am fine with the Redstuff. The OEM won't do it as they are too busy turning themselves to dust to coat your wheels. :p

Hope you can get it sorted! :thumbs:

I haven't really been on tracks so much , 4 (sedate) laps on nurburgring... and after that i have had them off twice and cleaned them up, copper greased them un-shimmed them , then re-shimmed, and the last thing I did was make a small chamfer on the edges...

As I say it seems a bit of an environmental issue also (hot ambient)... as the spanish forum they seem to suffer the squealing a lot with these pads. If I wait till winter or the rain coming back it will probably resolve it for another year, then it would be a matter of trying to wear them out before next summer... :)

I haven't really been on tracks so much , 4 (sedate) laps on nurburgring... and after that i have had them off twice and cleaned them up, copper greased them un-shimmed them , then re-shimmed, and the last thing I did was make a small chamfer on the edges...

As I say it seems a bit of an environmental issue also (hot ambient)... as the spanish forum they seem to suffer the squealing a lot with these pads. If I wait till winter or the rain coming back it will probably resolve it for another year, then it would be a matter of trying to wear them out before next summer... :)

Mine squeeled in the cold and in the rain :blush:

It might be dust, but as I have the cleanest pads at the moment...also now i found out this has something to to with the leading and trailing edges of the pad.

the pad is quite a close fit on the sides of the backing plate and the movement up and down on the disc surface causes the leading or trailing edge to rub against the caliper body at high frequency, generating the squeal.

Hence why the workshop manual mentions specifically the copper greasing of the leading and trailing edges of the pad...

maybe the heat /ambient etc causes the pad backing plate to expand a tiny fraction more than OEM but enough to make a slight contact to caliper body causing the rubbing/squeal noise under light pedal pressure where the pad had some level of compliance to vibrate...

It might be dust, but as I have the cleanest pads at the moment...also now i found out this has something to to with the leading and trailing edges of the pad.

the pad is quite a close fit on the sides of the backing plate and the movement up and down on the disc surface causes the leading or trailing edge to rub against the caliper body at high frequency, generating the squeal.

Hence why the workshop manual mentions specifically the copper greasing of the leading and trailing edges of the pad...

maybe the heat /ambient etc causes the pad backing plate to expand a tiny fraction more than OEM but enough to make a slight contact to caliper body causing the rubbing/squeal noise under light pedal pressure where the pad had some level of compliance to vibrate...

It is standard practise to grease the edges you refer to.

We always make sure the calliper faces in this area are cleaned as well as they do tend to get chocked with brake dust and reduce the tolerance between the pad and the calliper.

• 3 months later...

I`ve been looking at a few of these Ferodo 2500 threads. It`s interesting that no-one (that I have noticed) has mentioned that these pads need to be bedded in correctly.

Ive been through a few sets in my old Alfa v6 and the box always comes with instructions for bedding the pads in. These are a performance pad and can't just be slotted in and used for daily driving.

(To be more accurate they are *technically* illegal on the road for post 1999/2001 cars as they have too high a friction co-efficient. That's EU reg ECE90. Bizarre that the pad falls foul of a regulation of being *too* good :headhurt:)

I believe bedding in consists of finding a quiet bit of private road and then giving then some stick. Something like get up to speed and brake at 50% a few times, 80% a few times, 100% a few times. It`s more complex than that but if you don`t bed them in you will get poor performance and squealing!

Sounds to me that the squealers amongst us need to give their brakes a good hard workout ! ;):D