Swirls/spider web marks on paint

WINKJ

Hello! As some of you know I have got my new black nismo which I LOVE. Weather passed slightly so have her the first clean. However, in a couple areas there are very fine hairline marks which are common I believe.. Like paint swirls. Sorry this is a cr@p explanation....

So I use the double bucket method and use wash mits. There was no dirt on the car or mits before shampoo so concerned that there are some marks... I use a meguires drying cloth to dry..

Would it be worth replacing the mits for some new ones?

the car has the TRIBOS paint protection which so far is great and I have used their low alkaline (i think it is) shampoo ..

Help please!!!!!!

Edited by WINKJ

It's good practice to replace the washing mitts & drying towels quite often depending on how much they are used.

Any pics of the marks/swirls?

Do you use a round & round method or straight line (back & forth) when using the mitt/shampoo?

Just curious as I had heard it's best to go back & forth in straight lines to minimize any chance of swirl type marks. Hopefully ilogikal one will pop in here as he's bl**dy great at this sort of thing. ;)

Ha!! Thanks :)...

So maybe I just need to replace mits and cloth as I used to clean my 350 at least every two weeks and never replaced them in 2/3 years..

I do the back and forth as I also heard it helps to prevent these marks.

Don't have a pic! She's under the cover (which isn't the cause as I hadn't out it ok until now)

However careful you are, you will mark the paint if you keep her clean, it's curse of the detailer :(

The best you can hope to do is keep any marking to a minimum and keep protection topped up. Replacing mitts and microfibres like GM says will help, also don't forget to wash your mitts after use. If you fancy trying something new, maybe consider a drying aid, it'll keep the friction as low as possible during the drying phase. I've just run out of AMMO Hydrate, which I didn't like at first but I've really come around too after a few uses.

Hopefully ilogikal one will pop in here as he's bl**dy great at this sort of thing. ;)

My ego really likes you. I can't imagine why. :lol: Thanks GM :thumbs:

There's some very good advice above though. First and foremost, you've got a black car which will show up every minor defect more so than any other colour. Also swirls are inevitable, it's about reducing them as much as possible rather than eliminating them in reality. And on top of that, if it's the first wash since leaving the dealership, it's highly likely that they will have used filler products rather than correction during their "prep" - don't be surprised if the Tribos coating doesn't last anywhere near as long as it should, dealers generally don't apply such coatings correctly.

That said, my first port of call would be to thoroughly wash your mits before replacing them - if they're microfibre ones stick them in washing machine, non-bio wash liquid (don't ever use powder with microfibres) or add a drop of white vinegar into the wash, either will serve to restore & soften the fibres and is also a good way of keeping your drying towels at their best. If you use lambswool mits, then comb them through with as fine a comb as you can find every so often.

Use a different mit and a fresh bucket of water for the wheels and arches. Wheels first, then change the water in the bucket(s) and work from the top of the car down.

I'm not personally a fan of grit guards because if your technique is good you'll only ever use the top inch or two of water in the bucket, nowhere near the grit, let alone the grit guard so to me they're a bit of a gimmick. I only mention this because even if you do opt for grit guards, it's worth remembering not to push the mit to the bottom of the bucket when washing regardless.

If you don't already, I'd strongly recommend a pre-wash stage - either snow foam or a spray on. A good pre-wash will dramatically reduce the amount of dirt on the surface to be picked up by the wash mit.

Drying towels, I can recommend the yellow Uber from the link above, this one (which is actually the same towel) or this one, all are nice, plush and dry really well.

• Like 1

Whoaaaa!! Thanks for the info. I never go near the bottom half of the bucket and replace etc as you mentioned... I do not however do a pre wash so will look into that.

The TRIBOS was applied by a 3rd party rather than the dealer.. Not falling for that trick!! :)

Will get some new gear as it was cheap and old anyway now.

Is this your first wash? Beacuse if it is you might not have seen them when you first bought the car, but now that you have washed it you have got a much better look. You can easly eliminate swirls with the right polish and applicator pad on a DA polisher. Just make sure that you clean your car properly before hand, and preferably clay bar it after washing to get all the dirt which is deep in the paint out. Decent wax after all that should protect the finished job. You can't really get rid of swirls from just washing the car.

Whoaaaa!!

Yeah, sorry, I got a bit carried away. :blush:

The TRIBOS was applied by a 3rd party rather than the dealer.. Not falling for that trick!! :)

Sorry, I just assumed it was dealer applied. Good choice going 3rd party for it. :thumbs:

ha! no i appreciate it, ordering some bits now from the site you posted. got some prewash, new wheel brushes, drying and cleaning mits.. all I need now is for it to stop raining. B)

I do not however do a pre wash so will look into that.

Just for your information take a look at my thread that I did a while ago regarding snow foam and what a difference it can make especially using the correct gun.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/84321-what-a-difference-a-snow-foam-gun-can-make/

That's how I do my pre-wash and it's definitely worth doing every time imo. :thumbs:

• Like 1