Spray paint advice needed

Angrybiker

Used a couple of halfords "rattle cans" to brighten up the engine bay and was quite happy with the results but I've sprayed the grommet from my wiper delete and although it looked good at first, after a few days in direct sunlight it darkens down and goes soft/sticky!! I initially assumed I either hadn't left enough time between coats or didn't use enough lacquer so .... new grommet, spent a week adding thin coats of paint, drying then thin coats of lacquer. Same result.

Am I doing something wrong or is this always on a happen with rattle cans? I would like to spray my door handles but not if this is gonna happen again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the wrong paint to use on the rubber as it's probably breaking down the rubber/reacting.

Pretty sure plasti dip spray paint will do the job but never used it myself; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTIDIP-PLASTI-DIP-USA-PLASTIC-RUBBER-PAINT-SPRAY-CANS-AEROSOL-400ML-FLEXIBLE-/181220903710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2a319b8b1e

Also it may be necessary to use a specified primer first to help the paint bond but again I haven't used plastidip before so check with the seller first if you can. :thumbs:

You'd need to wash it thoroughly with fairy liquid to remove any silicones or waxes, rough it up slightly with some 600 wet & dry, prime with a couple of coats of plastic primer, then a couple of coats of your chosen topcoat - that should stay attached.

That should work but the problem is and the reason I suggested plastidip is that it's a flexible paint even when dry.

Other paints may crack I'd guess although I understand the rubber bung most likely won't be moving but it's just that it may crack when it's being installed. :shrug:

Whilst I've not painted anything rubber as far as I can remember, I'd have thought that if you roughed it up, painted it with plastic primer - which is flexible - and then top coat it I couldn't see why it wouldn't fix and cure okay.

People paint various interior parts okay - don't they?

Maybe see if you can find coloured gromits then, friend.

yes they are plastic interior parts.

The grommet is rubber

These are 2 different types of material.

Vinyl is plastic, but it does weird things when you lacquer it.

Plastic primer still has chemicals in it that react with rubber

I recommend you consult Buster he is the King of the rattle can he has sprayed everything at least once :lol:

But I think RT is right rubber is horrid to paint with anything - never tried plasti-coat though :)